Winter SXS Trail Riding

• 404 ERROR
    MN

Where does everyone like to trail ride in the winter? Yeah, yeah, yeah…winter is for ice fishing…I get it.

We ride in Nemadji state forest a lot and spent the day sliding around those trails. Looking for more MN/WI trails that are open for winter UTV riding.

Attachments:
    1. AC7A1FD7-B5B1-45C3-902D-12E7BDCEDBBF.jpeg

2. 8A53FC6F-A100-4A7D-AAEE-CB34F70C11F2.jpeg

onestout
    Hudson, WI

WI trails are closed in the winter, the only thing left to ride are the routes. There may be 1 or 2 counties that allow wheeled vehicles on the trails but not sure which ones, not any of the ones up north.

?????

•Learn more about OHV riding in Minnesota.

OHV Trails

Appleton Area Recreational Park
    Located in the southwest corner of Minnesota, this park has 20 miles of trails and is ideal for OHV enthusiasts of all skills levels.

Chisholm Trail
    This 25.2-mile trail winds riders across rolling hills and through the forests of northeast Minnesota.

Iron Range Off-Highway Vehicle State Recreation Area
    Minnesota’s premier OHV recreation area spans 1,200 acres with 36 miles of scenic trails. In the winter, the front office is staffed Friday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

Nemadji State Forest Trails
    The popular trails within Nemadji State Forest connect with the Gandy Dancer and Matthew Lourey trails for even more great winter riding.

Spider Lake Trails
    This trail system has 29 miles of ATV 1/ATV 2/OHM/ORV trails that wind throughout the Foot Hills State Forest.

St. Croix State Forest Trails
    Come enjoy a scenic, winding ride through heavily wooded forest with easy access to the Gandy Dancer and the Matthew Lourey State Trail.

404 ERROR
    MN

WI trails are closed in the winter, the only thing left to ride are the routes. There may be 1 or 2 counties that allow wheeled vehicles on the trails but not sure which ones, not any of the ones up north.

The Dunbar area trails do not close to ATV/UTV traffic to my knowledge, it’s just a little further than I would like to travel.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>onestout wrote:</div>

The Dunbar area trails do not close to ATV/UTV traffic to my knowledge, it’s just a little further than I would like to travel.

I am not sure where Dunbar county is so I have not been on their trails. I am planning to take the kids out for breakfast a day this weekend with the Ranger. My dad asked why I don’t use the snowmobiles….I said because the sleds don’t have a cab and heater…..I am getting old.

andys
    kasson

Douglas,wasburn,burnett counties,and hayward have winter atv trails in Wisconsin,most of them are open now

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

Hurley area trails are open year round, but you cannot have wheels on them if it gets above 32 degrees I believe.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Stay off my groomed trails! mrgreen
    There are multi purpose trails in NW sconny including the wild river trail and with so many wheelers I completely understand people wanting to use them but dang it messes it up for sleds. Like I said I understand them wanting to use them and I know how fun it is. I have had a lot of fun this week on snow covered roads and fire trails with my truck! I haven’t even taken the sleds off the trailer yet.

404 ERROR
    MN

dang it messes it up for sleds

You aren’t even remotely incorrect for saying that. SXS’s really do a number on snow covered trails. You thought stutter bumps get bad on groomed snowmobile trails? Wait until you ride a multi-use trail…I totally understand the frustration snowmobilers have for the sport and the delicate dance the locals are stuck in. Allow UTV’s and see your snowmobile traffic drop or ban UTV’s and see the snowmobile traffic rise?…not many UTV owners are even interested in a winter trail ride, specially not a long distance trip. Clark and Jackson county are now class I only, no class II winter riding anymore.

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

You aren’t even remotely incorrect for saying that. SXS’s really do a number on snow covered trails. You thought stutter bumps get bad on groomed snowmobile trails? Wait until you ride a multi-use trail…I totally understand the frustration snowmobilers have for the sport and the delicate dance the locals are stuck in. Allow UTV’s and see your snowmobile traffic drop or ban UTV’s and see the snowmobile traffic rise?…not many UTV owners are even interested in a winter trail ride, specially not a long distance trip. Clark and Jackson county are now class I only, no class II winter riding anymore.

I always found it funny that tracked atvs/utv’s aren’t allowed on snowmobile trails. I would think they would do less damage than a snowmobile?

hdog3385

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Merican Eagle wrote:</div>

I always found it funny that tracked atvs/utv’s aren’t allowed on snowmobile trails. I would think they would do less damage than a snowmobile?

Speaking from a snowmobile rider’s view, Atv’s/Utv’s are horrible for the trails. My sled that I trail ride is around 505 lbs. while my ’05 Sportsman 500 is close to 700 lbs. I have no idea what a SxS weighs but add the weight of the track system as well and it must be 1000 lbs.

Now consider that they are WIDE, slow and not as maneuverable as a snowmobile and it becomes a safety hazard. Not that throttle jockey’s on sleds can’t do alot of damage too.

Coletrain27

I tracked sxs your looking at more like 2000 pounds.

dbright
    Cambridge

Here is a list of mn trails open year round

Attachments:
    1. FB_IMG_1609419786806.jpg

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Angler II wrote:</div>

Speaking from a snowmobile rider’s view, Atv’s/Utv’s are horrible for the trails. My sled that I trail ride is around 505 lbs. while my ’05 Sportsman 500 is close to 700 lbs. I have no idea what a SxS weighs but add the weight of the track system as well and it must be 1000 lbs.

Now consider that they are WIDE, slow and not as maneuverable as a snowmobile and it becomes a safety hazard. Not that throttle jockey’s on sleds can’t do alot of damage too.

Even with a 2000 lb UTV I’m going to guess that one with tracks has less PSI than a snowmobile. They are also extremely hard to spin.

What’s the speed limit on snowmobile trails?

uninc4709

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hdog3385 wrote:</div>

Even with a 2000 lb UTV I’m going to guess that one with tracks has less PSI than a snowmobile. They are also extremely hard to spin.

I wouldn’t agree with that statement. Think about going through 2 feet of powder… which one will do better and float higher? Tracked sxs or a snowmobile?

Angler II

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>hdog3385 wrote:</div>

I wouldn’t agree with that statement. Think about going through 2 feet of powder… which one will do better and float higher? Tracked sxs or a snowmobile?

It’s simple math. I have been in deep powder with a tracked side by side. The snowmobiles sunk into the powder deeper than the side by side.

404 ERROR
    MN

Tracked UTV’s aren’t legal in MN being there is a 65” max width on Class II Machines. They are WAY too wide once tracks are installed.

Yes, I know my machine flirts the line of legal. No, I don’t care, it’s just under legal width and weight…like it or not, UTV’s are what’s keeping the ATV trails alive. ATV riding was a dying sport before 2010, you can thank the Rhinos and RZR’s for bringing it back. Agree or disagree, I don’t care. It’s the truth.

I love the armchair arguments of some people on this forum coffee . Join an ATV/Snowmobile club and see what kind of work goes into keeping these trails open for everyone to enjoy and you’ll understand the passion some of us have for the sport…until then, load up your Sportsman 500 you last started when you drug your fork buck back to your uncles cabin loaded with every beer in the tri-county area and hit the trails…while you peel your buddy off a tree waiting for the helicopter, you can blame UTV riders for ruining “your trails”. Oh, the irony.

I now step off my soapbox. Glad it isn’t raining, I might have slipped.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<Whats the speed limit on snowmobile trails?

55 in MN. No limit during the day in Wi. It’s easy to go very fast on sleds. Cruising down a straight trail at 60-70 is nothing, with bursts up to 100+ on performance machines like we always run. It really is a rather dangerous hobby which is why it draws some people but not others. My wife and I were born into the sport but not sure how much longer we stay. The amount of risk and physicality required to take care of situations in a remote hostile environment gets less appealing as we get older.

Coletrain27

<Whats the speed limit on snowmobile trails?

55 in MN. No limit during the day in Wi. It’s easy to go very fast on sleds. Cruising down a straight trail at 60-70 is nothing, with bursts up to 100+ on performance machines like we always run. It really is a rather dangerous hobby which is why it draws some people but not others. My wife and I were born into the sport but not sure how much longer we stay. The amount of risk and physicality required to take care of situations in a remote hostile environment gets less appealing as we get older.

some atv trails are beginning to be the same way. sometimes dont even feel safe having young kids around with some of them morons that think they need to fly around every blind corner. takes the fun and enjoyment out of it.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Don’t take my post the wrong way. We are safe drivers when it comes to other people. I can’t stand the thought of hurting or even scaring strangers on the trail. I always lead and I hate it when some idiot comes flying around a blind corner like there’s no chance of ever meeting another sled. Happens all the time. That’s one of the risks I’m getting tired of. Safer to ride at night.

404 ERROR
    MN

some atv trails are beginning to be the same way. sometimes dont even feel safe having young kids around with some of them morons that think they need to fly around every blind corner. takes the fun and enjoyment out of it.

100% agreed. We almost got hit head on in October in BRF by some dude in an X3 going well over 60 on a blind corner on OUR side of the trail. It getting old. Of course, he didn’t signal that his buddy who thought he was also Ken Block was behind him…

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coletrain27 wrote:</div>

100% agreed. We almost got hit head on in October in BRF by some dude in an X3 going well over 60 on a blind corner on OUR side of the trail. It getting old. Of course, he didn’t signal that his buddy who thought he was also Ken Block was behind him…

we were there this fall for the first time with my family and yea its crazy there. wont be going back there on a weekend thats for sure. would much rather go up north further and just cruise the woods at my own pace and at least enjoy the scenery. we have been to the nemadji trails a few times and that is nice also. park falls wi and clam lake wi we also enjoyed.

dbright
    Cambridge

We try to get out a few times a winter but usually just hit forest roads around McGregor or head to nemadji.

A sxs on tracks has to be dual registered as a orv once it has tracks. But there is a lack of orv trails.

hdog3385

…until then, load up your Sportsman 500 you last started when you drug your fork buck back to your uncles cabin loaded with every beer in the tri-county area and hit the trails…while you peel your buddy off a tree waiting for the helicopter, you can blame UTV riders for ruining “your trails”. Oh, the irony.

I now step off my soapbox. Glad it isn’t raining, I might have slipped

Sheesh! First off I love my 500, best suspension in a 4 wheeler ever. Second, never shot a fork buck. Third, it’s my cabin and I don’t drink beer. Good scotch or bourbon for this guy. I’ll share a glass with ya. toast

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ll share a glass with ya.

I apologize, I wasn’t referencing you. I would gladly share a bottle of Bourbon. Sipping on a bottle of Larceny this evening.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Nemadji is fun in the winter, I’ve done it a few times. Having just got into snowmobiling, I can say that everyone in my township is pissed at whoever ran their SxS through the clearly stated sled only trails here which are still closed (WI). Really messed up the base for us who are anxiously awaiting trail open.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.