Winter project Complete

• poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

After thinking/talking about it for the better part of the last 5 years I finally decided this winter was the winter to redo the interior of my boat. I started somewhere around the second week of December and working on it a few hours here and there at a time finally slapped the last completed piece in today. It was all carpet originally, I went back with 80 mil vinyl on the walking surfaces and carpet on the walls. Decided mid project that I would add redoing the ‘upholstry’ vinyl on the console tops and rod locker walls which then led to doing the black camo wrap of the driver console as well. Maybe next winter I will tackle wrapping the hull with that same wrap, thought about throwing that in this spring yet, but I can’t get the wrap in a big enough piece right now. All in all it went way better than I expected and surprised myself at how well it turned out given I have never done this type of work before.
    As usual on projects I forgot to take a true before picture so this one with one console already out is as close as I have. These ars all demo pictures, I’ll put a reply with the finished pictures.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20201220_232837167.jpg

2. PXL_20201215_043953984.jpg

3. PXL_20201211_034015184.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Some in progress pictures

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210206_201602551.jpg

2. PXL_20210219_052830421.jpg

3. PXL_20210207_214753337.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Completed pictures.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210307_223500064.jpg

2. PXL_20210307_223515592.jpg

3. PXL_20210307_223557650.jpg

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Had a local company fabricate two aluminum brackets so I could mount these rod holders in the back. Livewell on one side and a ‘cooler’ on the other so I did not want to puncture the walls and these guys were able to fab them from a single piece of 1/8″ aluminum, turned out way better than anything I could have made in my shop. Will be nice having a place to slap rods in while hopping around, no more rods half laying on the floor to get stepped on and tripped over.

Attachments:
    1. PXL_20210307_223529613.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Very nice job!! bow

With the price of used boats a young fellar with some ability could make some pretty good coin redoing boats.

bigpike

Very nice and rewarding for you!

blank

Wow, that’s some very nice work.

Out of curiosity, since you used multiple types of materials, was one material more difficult to work with over another?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Wow, that’s some very nice work.

Out of curiosity, since you used multiple types of materials, was one material more difficult to work with over another?

The vinyl (flooring) was probably the toughest for detail work. I’m glad I used the thicker 80 mil stuff for durability, but folding it around corners was a chore. Also had to be careful as it was still thinner than the old carpet (and it’s nap), the small removable piece in the bow I had to remake the wood part so I didn’t have big gaps and I had to add 1/8 aluminum bar to the sides of the hatch doors so there wasn’t huge gaps there too.

I was surprised at how easy the black vinyl wrap stuff went on the plastic console. The hull will be a breeze compared to that thing. I did learn though when you heat set that stuff it shows everything so will definitely do more prep work on the hull than I would have had I not already done this thing.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

nice job I had to do the something to my pro sport.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

nice job I had to do the something to my pro sport.

This too, 2001 prosport 1600.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Great job!! Looks awesome. waytogo waytogo

Umy
    South Metro

Completed pictures.

Looks great – well done!

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Thanks everyone, I was a little intimidated at the beginning, but having a background in building construction (and commercial roofing particularly with the vinyl floor)I got the swing of it pretty fast. You tube was definitely my friend to look up how to do this or that before I tried it. My biggest blunder was on the small piece the throttle control is mounted on, I wrapped the wrong side and sat the scratching my head quite a while trying to figure out how in the ‘flip’ that thing was mounted on there before realizing what I did. Fortunately I bought way more than I needed as they had a 5 yard precut roll for nearly the se price as a custom cut size of what I needed (3) so removal of way too many staples and a new piece later I was good to go. Highly recommend measuring everything out first and laying it out on paper (I used a freebie version of CAD I have on my laptop) before you order. I would also say Lund really did a favor to anyone who ever needed to do what I just finished, everything disassembles very well and goes back together well too.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

That looks amazing! Nice work!

Deuces

Looks fantastic well done! toast

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I need to do the same thing to 2 boats. I am going to try it out on the tiller first, that should be a little easier. Looks good. Where did you get your materials?

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

That looks great! When do you want to start mine? toast

I had a few people ask me if I was going to start doing it on the side while I was still in progress, the speed I moved at I’d lose money on every job if I treated it like a real job.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I need to do the same thing to 2 boats. I am going to try it out on the tiller first, that should be a little easier. Looks good. Where did you get your materials?

I made more trips to menards/home depot/fleet farm then I care to admit to on the small stuff. I was lucky that all my wood was still in pristine shape so I just re-used it save for one piece I had to make larger (gaps too big with vinyl vs carpet). The flooring I got from link below, they send you with a very redneck set of installation instructions for the carpet. Upholstery Vinyl (the light tan stuff on the console tops and locker walls, not sure what you really call it) I ended up buying on amazon as well as the vinyl wrap (vvivid vinyl, can get it right from them too).

https://marinecarpeting.com/

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looks great. I’m in the same situation. I have to do that to my mirrocraft outfitter xl.
    Been talking g about it 2 years ,and this was supposed to be the winter I did it. Still haven’t started it yet. I have a soft spot in the front corner on the bow. And then I want to change a few of the storage areas. My boat is a tiller so luckily I have no counsels to work around.

You did a great job, it looks fantastic

Ed
    Minnetrista, MN

Looks amazing – way to go!

dirtywater

The boat looks great. I thinking of changing out my carpet for vinyl or seadek or something like it in the future.

I spied your coast guard plate and can’t believe that boat is only rated for 650 pounds. My little Alumacraft tiller which most would consider to be “a lot less boat” is rated for 700. Maybe that’s normal for a double console boat with a bigger motor, just caught my eye is all.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

Good work! I did the same thing to a 94 Tyee a few years ago. Glad I did it, but will never do anything like that again! I say that because it’s a HUGE time commitment! In the end, I sold the boat last fall and made a little more than I paid for it 5 years ago. Feel like I probably could have got more for it had I been more patient and stood firm on my price, but I had my upgrade and wanted it gone.

Anyone that’s planning on doing this, be sure to pack a long a lot of extra patience and plan on doubling your anticipated time and monetary budgets.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.