Winnie

• orve4

Heading up to Winnie this Friday for the weekend running out of highbanks. Was wondering if anybody has been up there the last few weekends Plan on chasing perch and some northerns. Was wondering how travel was. thanks

BigWerm
    SW Metro

PM sent, I’ll be up this wknd too.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

31lifer was up last week right before the vortex. Nodda!

Wasn’t to happy with Highbanks either.

Justin riegel

Planning to go up there next weekend so any reports back would be helpful.

orve4

who is this 31 lifer? what was his experiences Ive only heard goods things from other people

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

A group of us were up last weekend out of Highbanks. We did pretty good for not ever fishing the lake. Quite a few slot fish, and also over and under slot. We had portables, was a lot of work, but their roads and cuts didn’t really relate to any structure. We also had maybe 30 perch

orve4

Thanks for the update. We will give it a try and if that does not work we will just try the bar:)

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Bring snowmobiles or track vehicles if you have them. The snow is too deep off the roads to drive anywhere

Ice Cap

Here is the latest fishing report for Winnie from Minnesota Outdoor News. Just came out today.

LAKE WINNIBIGOSHISH

You’ll want to check with resorts on lake access conditions and the availability of plowed roads – snow is limiting off-road travel options. The perch bite has been on and off with the main lake flats or west side breaks producing the most fish in 12 to 20 feet. Some walleyes are being caught on top of the humps and sand bars in 16 to 20 feet, while northern pike are active throughout the lake.

31lifer

They don’t let you go out to the ice houses until 8:00am and they want you out of them at 6:00pm. Need I say more?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

They don’t let you go out to the ice houses until 8:00am and they want you out of them at 6:00pm. Need I say more?

Wow that’s pretty lame.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

That’s terrible, you miss all the good fishing windows and for what reason?Sun is up a long time before 8:00 am.

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>31lifer wrote:</div>

Wow that’s pretty lame.

Wow that is really lame I never heard of such a thing. But you have to play by house rules when you’re using their stuff I guess. Good info to know those are the kinds of things you don’t ask about when booking a trip.

Justin riegel

Any reports from the weekend? Headed up on Friday.

Matt M
    Blaine, MN

Just got back from the weekend on Winni. Worst fishing I have ever had up there in 15 plus years. Snow on the lake is awful making moving around impossible without tracks which we dont have. We fished the south end finding small perch and 1 walleye. Heard some reports of a couple groups doing ok, but most struggled like we did. Biggest issue is the snow. Every hole I drilled had water gushing out. 1 or 2 moves a day and that was physically exhausting.

Hope you have better success than we did.

Matt

BigWerm
    SW Metro

We were up from Friday-Sunday in a sleeper, and would second what Matt said, Pretty slow and too much snow to easily stay mobile. It was my first time on Winnie, and we didn’t have sleds so we stuck to the sleeper house. We caught a decent # of fish, mostly small perch and northerns, a couple small eye’s and one 25″ along with a 30″ eelpout and pretty much everything came on set lines. Judging from the bar talk Saturday night we were more successful than most.

I had no real complaints with High Banks and Kim earns every penny they make! They had posted on FB that due to the snow and blowing their road would be closed until Friday afternoon, but I woke up to a text from her on Friday asking when we’d be arriving and they had everything ready for us. We went to the cabin in Nevis Thursday night, so it was a shorter drive over and I appreciated her reaching out as we were fishing 4 hours earlier than anticipated. She was bartending until the end of the night Saturday too, and doing everything in between. I just wanted to point this out as we often get so caught up in our world that we don’t realize how hard most of these resort owner’s work to keep things moving.

Justin riegel

Thanks for the updates guys, hope this week end we get a few fish.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>31lifer wrote:</div>

Wow that’s pretty lame.

Wow that is really lame I never heard of such a thing. But you have to play by house rules when you’re using their stuff I guess. Good info to know those are the kinds of things you don’t ask about when booking a trip.

Actually this is not lame at all and is pretty typical for a day house rental, which this appears to be. One’s I have checked out have had start times at 7:30 or after, although most do give you 12 hours for the rental.

As far as an earlier start time, there could be any number of valid reasons. Sleeper rentals…typical check-in is 1:00 in the afternoon.

I think what BigWerm pointed out helps explain how things may not always line up with our personal agenda…

She was bartending until the end of the night Saturday too, and doing everything in between. I just wanted to point this out as we often get so caught up in our world that we don’t realize how hard most of these resort owner’s work to keep things moving.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

although fishing next to their houses is an option, it’s not the only option. Last year was just as bad as far as snow and travel off road was impossible, we did tip a snowplow driver and he made us our own loop off of a main road. Next day that loop was filled with parked trucks and a permanent, but our paths were beat down to make it a bit easier to get around. The road system out of the SW River side can be pretty extensive also. Just make sure if you park on the main road to hike away from the road 25 yards or so as to not flood the main road out. Boy does that get me irritated!

orve4

Kim Was amazing and she works very hard to keep her customers that rent from her very happy and pleased. We were the first group of wheeled houses she let out. We had limited success on friday and better luck saturday with more spots to pick from. We ended up with enough walleyes and eel pout to fry. The snow makes it nearly impossible to travel without tracks. All and all Id go to highbanks again.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Here’s a link to our video from Super Bowl Weekend out of Highbanks. It’s 25 minutes long. Before I get chastised for keeping bigger fish, most of these guys don’t fish much, and all fish kept were legal. Enjoy.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.