Wolf River

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

It has been a while since I’ve had the time to sit a computer and generate a report. So for everyone that has been calling, sending PMs, or email, I apologize for the delay and lack of up-to-date info.

So, here is an over-view of things from ice out to now.

Walleyes – The up run seemed to be lacking compared to prior years in the upper sections of the river. However, lower sections of the river with good spawning habitat was outstanding. I’ve been documenting the up-run for the last 13 years and it has been amazing the accuracy level when compared to the new moon phases. The vast majority had moved into the river while still ice covered and held until the conditions were suitable to do their thing. Many of the small patches of cattails from the Wolf’s mouth to Gills Landing had a good number of fish spawning on them this year. Clients pitching purple, chartreuse, and firecracker color ringworms, paddletails, moxies, and pulse-r’s on 1/16oz jigs caught & released a lot of nice 22″-25″ and of coarse, plenty of their male companions.

With the fluctuating water temps and levels, the fish would drop off these shallow shelves and hang in the adjoining holes/runs.

I fished very little pre-spawn in the Lew london to Shiocton area so I have no relevant info for that stage.

Many of the females appeared to rush their job of dropping eggs and get out of Dodge….. The crank bait bite at night was the shortest I have ever experienced. Many spots that produced, only held fish for one or two nights and then …. done. We experienced a great 4 day window of some really nice spawned out walleyes moving down. I followed them from well above Gills down river. They didn’t hang out in the river very long and it seemed as if you heard a report of nice fish, you were two days too late.

The down run of males so far has been hit/miss for many. I had been following a great run from New London down, and the recent drop in water temps has had an impact on that bite. Dragging a crawler was producing very well, then would slow up. The minnow bite has been spotty as it always is following the spawn. Guys are finding isolated spots holding fish, but you have to remain mobile and keep moving. There are plenty of fish upp river yet, and once we get a few sunny days to get the water temps back up to “normal”, the bite should dramatically improve.

One other factor that has played into this years’ run has been water clarity. The recent snows to the north have also worked like a filter to give a more clean run off. Usually by now, the water is much more fertile looking. Just a theory, but I think the cleaner water has impacted the dragging bite in the shallow 3 to 7 foot runs. Again, that’s just a theory.

Now, for the awaited Mighty White bass run…………. Get your stuff ready, but you don’t need to rush right out and hit the river in a panic mode that its happening in full force. It’s just starting. For those that are already pounding the river for white bass, there are a lot of the much smaller males in the system from the mouth up well past Gills landing. The water was 47.1 degrees yesterday and you had to invest a lot of effort to entice them to bite. We caught a few dragging crawlers and shiners, but, the vast majorty were caught on VERY SLOW presentations.

Dark color small flies on 3-way rigs. Again, VERY SLOW. Ripping flies is way too much action. Finding the pods of fish with your electronics and finessing a bait in front of their nose pays dividends. Other baits that have been producing – W-5 jig raps (same colors as you would use in Bago all winter), 1/4 to 3/8oz blade baits. (surprisingly, dark colors. i custom make all my own and neon orange with a heavy purple over-coat has been best) If i haven’t mentioned it enough to get the subtle hint, SLOW, SLOW, and SLOWER. The vast majority of hits come on very long pauses held a foot off of the bottom.

The activity level will improve significantly as the water temps increase. The weather forecast shows we are a more than a week out for more normal ambient temps and multiple days of sunshine.

With that, a few words of advise. We know for a fact that we are still on the very front side of the white bass bubble. Please, if your getting your boat out for the first time this year, take the little extra time to check all your safety equipment, everything is operational, and your gear is organized. As sportsmen, we all come to the aid of those in need. But every year, there are a few incidents that could be avoided.

Have patience, and realize that there are thousands of anglers that take part in these traditional spring runs. We all have different methods of fishing, and they don’t always co-inside with our own. Every year I witness threats and disgusting behavior from a limited few. Lets all have a fun & safe experience this Spring!!

Wieland Outdoors http://www.wielandoutdoors.com Randy Wieland 262-617-5161

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

Great report and info Randy! Thanks for sharing…. I have two family members that are already asking about our return to the Wolf after we hit the White Bass peak bite last year. They were spoiled by that bite, but getting out once a year, they don’t realize it.

Hard to convince a kid that it is a special day when you hit it just right.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

When we get a string of 3 or 4 sunny days, the water temp will shoot up and it will be on fire. Get ready!

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

My lilacs are budding. The 60-70 degree days this week should make ’em pop. You guys stay up there and clean those garbage fish out of the system I’ll continue following the big girls back down through the upper lakes in to Bago.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

WV – I’m saving all the drum for you!

WinnebagoViking
    Inactive

I trolled Winneconne this morning. Could’ve have filled a cooler with big white bass; couldn’t keep ’em off the line. They will be thick in the river this week. No eyes and only a couple of sheeps.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

current was weird last night pulled/dragged leeches in a small slot out from Quigley’s. Fished 8pm to 1am last night. 9 walleyes in the first 30 minutes….. 4 more for the rest of the night.
    Bass guys will love this – About a 25″ eye puked out about a 8″ bass in the boat when we landed her. Maybe we aren’t using big enough baits????

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.