Winds This Week

• TMF89

So we’re heading up Wednesday, and the winds are supposed to be anywhere from 15-25 mph out of the northwest. Would launching out of Springsteel and fishing Muskeg Bay be an option in a 17′ aluminum rig? Or should we really just consider Rainy and possibly Four Mile Bay? We’re experienced and not squeamish, but also aren’t stupid either, if the risks are too high. Also any advice in general? Plan is to start with jigs and shiners, switching to bouncers and spinners if we can’t find fish, and possibly trolling cranks if we really need to search. I haven’t done any summer fishing on LOW, but I’ve heard that the fish are pretty spread out right now, 10-25′? Thanks guys.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

We were up last week and with those winds and my Reata we couldn’t get out of 4 mile bay on one of the days.

The river really wasn’t producing at all but 4 mile bay was good for us.

Fish were still pretty stacked up 7 days ago. All of the tactics you mentioned produced but jigging was still the ticket for most.

Launching on the west side might be the ticket unless the wind lays down.

We caught fish from 10 to 30’ but 16 to 24’ seemed to be the ticket.

Jason

Springsteel will be good. Take a run up to the south side of Buffalo Point or over to Whiskey Flats if not DNR reef should produce. I have been out of Springsteel and the Warroad city park public access many times with northwest winds, you will be fine.

TMF89

Well we went up to Springsteel’s and just drifted 6-15′ in front of the resort, couldn’t even make it out into the rest of Muskeg Bay at all. Still got 29 eyes with 6 keepers, and a few overs. Honestly caught them all on a mix of spinners and jigs with worms and minnows. Gold and pink were definitely the hot colors. Thanks guys!

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Where are you guys staying at? I might be able to give you a couple spots if you are on the south side closer to Baudette.

TMF89

We’re going out of Adrian’s, and any help or advice would be much appreciated! We fished Four Mile for most of the day, and outside of Pine Island for the last hour or so. Only scraped up 8, all on jigs, but no real pattern.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.