Will this snow event finally change the weather pattern?

• lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Just wondering if this multi-day snow and rain will be the catalyst to change our weather pattern and get out of the drought. I personally love all the sun but we really need to catch up on moisture. I’d like to be able to use my dock and boat slip on Mille Lacs this year and we need the lake to come up nearly a foot to make it comfortable again.

Michael Best

I believe the weather pattern has switched from elnino to LaNina. In doing so in the past it has caused exceptional amount of moisture like we are about to see.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I believe the weather pattern has switched from elnino to LaNina. In doing so in the past it has caused exceptional amount of moisture like we are about to see.

Pretty much what I’m reading also, if you can believe them. doah

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We are currently still in an El Niño pattern. Modeling is heavily favoring a switch to La Niña by later summer.

The polar vortex is breaking down causing the jet stream to go out of whack giving us these cooler temps and causing these low pressure systems to change course vs what we saw this winter.

La Niña is coming but it’s not here yet and it’s not what’s causing this weather.

FinnyDinDin

We are currently still in an El Niño pattern. Modeling is heavily favoring a switch to La Niña by later summer.

The polar vortex is breaking down causing the jet stream to go out of whack giving us these cooler temps and causing these low pressure systems to change course vs what we saw this winter.

La Niña is coming but it’s not here yet and it’s not what’s causing this weather.

So funny that you adopted my name for you as your handle. lol lol

Much improved!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have also read that the transition from El Niño to La Niña will occur this summer.

The period to watch is May, June, and July. The last three years those months have been abnormally dry and they are historically the 3 wettest months of the entire year. When you fall behind during that period, you generally can’t make it up.

lindyrig79

That’s interesting. I guess La Niña could come early. After a few years of drought I guess I’d be ok with precipitation returning back towards normal. Although the skeeters would also probably come back with a vengeance doah

Ripjiggen

I honestly never see a correlation with rain and skeeters. I know how they breed and I’m sure it’s worse when wet but damn things always seem bad no matter what. Horrible at times up north last year and was dry dry dry.

lindyrig79

That seems a little odd, Rip. Must be a localized thing. I’ve noticed a pretty direct correlation on the wet years with really bad skeeters. And noticeably less on the dry years.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Definitely localized. One summer I worked for the MMCD (Metropolitan Mosquito Control District) and we focused our efforts on areas of heavy rain because their eggs are laid and hatch out of pools of stagnant water.

Ripjiggen

Oh I know there probably it is just that those damn things were brutal at times last year and we were in a drought.

BrianF

I honestly never see a correlation with rain and skeeters. I know how they breed and I’m sure it’s worse when wet but damn things always seem bad no matter what. Horrible at times up north last year and was dry dry dry.

Blame ‘White Nose Syndrome’ which has almost completely wiped out the bat population up North and elsewhere.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.