WiFi extenders

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Looking for recommendations on new WiFi extenders. Had one crap out and my old one I plugged back in is about worthless.

We had been running either Cisco or lynksend(so??) not impressed with either brands after some installs in recent houses. I do a lot of streaming and huge file transfers.

About 4000sqft, 3 stories, modem lower level and one extender per floor. Previous coverage is great. Speed and consistency is the objective. Can be hard wired (cat 6) or wireless- don’t care

CaptainMusky

I have heard very good things about Eero, but do not use one myself. Its a wireless mesh system which they say is the better type to get.

Greg Krull
    South Metro / Pool 4

I have heard very good things about Eero, but do not use one myself. Its a wireless mesh system which they say is the better type to get.

This is what the installer from Charter told me to get last week.

Reef W

If you have ethernet available I’d use multiple wired access points. Wireless repeaters/extenders work but will never be as good due to having at least one additional wireless hop that’s subject to interference and other wireless issues. I use Ubiquiti but that has some more complicated controller requirements. Look at TP-Link OneMesh products (pretty much everything they make now) for something simple. Tried to post links to examples but it won’t show up.

ThunderLund78

We have a google home mesh WIFI system and it’s AWESOME! Wasn’t terribly expensive and you can buy individual hubs to add on, if needed. We have one on each level and I easily added one in the garage last year to ensure our security system hub had good connection as well.

Best part is that the firmware automatically updates, you don’t have to worry about maintenance. Aside from adding the one in the garage, I haven’t had to touch it since I installed it (no restarts or anything) Going on 3 years with it now.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

What exactly do you have? Does the modem have built in wifi?
    I would keep each floor on a different channel and try to use channel 1, 6, and 11 to keep channel overlap to minimum

Coletrain27

That’s what I have on one end of my house and reaches out to my detached garage

Attachments:
    1. 17B089BB-B0B7-4196-BF57-A020CC418B78-scaled.jpeg

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Been using Eero for a couple years now. Works great and takes about 10 minutes to get up and running.

hnd

we ditched the repeated issues with the repeaters and bit the bullet and bought a mesh system. We use 3 eeros and absolutely love it and will be adding a 4th when I build my barn.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Definitely just go with a mesh system, repeaters work but not as well as a mesh system. I run 4 mesh units At my place now.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Just did a bunch of reading online and I’m still confused: I still need my cable modem to work with a mesh system, right? Does the mesh system replace the cable modem I already have?

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Just did a bunch of reading online and I’m still confused: I still need my cable modem to work with a mesh system, right? Does the mesh system replace the cable modem I already have?

I have Netgear Orbi mesh system, and use my cable modem to “feed” the mesh base station, but I see that Netgear now has a mesh system with a cable modem built-in. So, it all depends on what you purchase.

HRG

carver
    West Metro

Right now I would stay away from google home mesh/google wifi. The old stuff was great the new equipment sucks.

I have installed Eero at 2 different places recently with great results.

If you got hard wire, Ubiquity is great but you need to be a little techy to set it up. Have a large install at a resort starting this spring with their equipment.

After my starlink line is ran into the house this spring. I’m either switching to Eero or Ubiquity.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I have Spectrun service that is available here in south/central WI. So I have their modem.

Currently (2) Cisco router/hubs- one puked and the other isn’t too far behind.

So I’ve been reading up on the mesh systems and I see one hiccup. I see very little of the units provide much for hardwired devices. No big deal, I just would need two hubs in addition to the mesh equipment. So, how well does the mesh equipment play with other devises?? The list below of the common equipment I have wired is not all used extensively. The generator sends me a message when engaged, most of the media equipment is heavy when in use, but not frequent.

Currently on cat 6 runs:
    Generator
    (2)Printers
    Security camers/DVR
    Alarm interface
    Digital Media interface module
    (2) TVs (non wifi)
    Postal scale/thermal printer
    Cisco Extender for WiFi to polebarn/Yard
    (1) Firestick
    (1) guest port for people needing a place to hardware their devise
    (1) Misc port to garage for variable equipment requiring hardwire

carver
    West Metro

Work great for rando devices. The Eero 6 pro has extra network ports on the back for plugging in.

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Mesh is worlds better than extenders – and your devices aren’t jumping between different networks. I have an Orbi, and I put a google in my mom’s house. Google is ridiculously easy to set up, and you can buy more nodes if you need further coverage.

hnd

I have Spectrun service that is available here in south/central WI. So I have their modem.

Currently (2) Cisco router/hubs- one puked and the other isn’t too far behind.

So I’ve been reading up on the mesh systems and I see one hiccup. I see very little of the units provide much for hardwired devices. No big deal, I just would need two hubs in addition to the mesh equipment. So, how well does the mesh equipment play with other devises?? The list below of the common equipment I have wired is not all used extensively. The generator sends me a message when engaged, most of the media equipment is heavy when in use, but not frequent.

Currently on cat 6 runs:
    Generator
    (2)Printers
    Security camers/DVR
    Alarm interface
    Digital Media interface module
    (2) TVs (non wifi)
    Postal scale/thermal printer
    Cisco Extender for WiFi to polebarn/Yard
    (1) Firestick
    (1) guest port for people needing a place to hardware their devise
    (1) Misc port to garage for variable equipment requiring hardwire

I run an unmanaged switch off the main eero.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.