WI Salmon End of June

• Justin riegel

Where is the best place to go for Salmon in June. Would like a shot at a King, but coho’s would be fine to. I was thinking maybe Port Washington? I have the gear, but generally what depths would I be looking at?

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Towards the end of June you should have a good shot at a King most anywhere along the WI shore. Typically mid to late June is when they starting showing up in northern ports. I think PW would be a good choice!

Obsession
    Maple Grove

Either Algoma or Sturgeon Bay (bank reef) would be prime at the end of June.

Typically setup in 90-12O FOW before sun up then push out 20-30 FOW by mid day.

Justin riegel

Thank you guys, my wife has never caught salmon and I have only caught smaller ones in Superior, Now to find a place to stay.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I have a buddy who runs a charter out of two rivers. he does real well on Kings along with a mix or Coho’s and Rainbows mixed in. Last year they were not running out to far to catch them in late June. Every year is different based on water temps. and Baitfish

Justin riegel

I have a buddy who runs a charter out of two rivers. he does real well on Kings along with a mix or Coho’s and Rainbows mixed in. Last year they were not running out to far to catch them in late June. Every year is different based on water temps. and Baitfish

Can you PM his info, I wouldn’t mind doing a charter on day one.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Start listening to the WDOR fishing report about June 1st and watch weather/wave forecasts. Lance at Howies in SB puts out a great report and you can get a feel for how fishing is going. It’s better to watch the reports and be ready to go on short notice if the fish are biting and you have calm winds. Planning a salmon trip out a few months can really bite you in the rear, especially if you are taking your own boat. The cherryland motel in SB is geared to fishermen and has Howies attached to it, gas station close and not too far to the launch.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

I would go to Algoma. We have been the last two years in June and may go again this year. We have caught a dozen or so fish on each trip and we do not have any “fancy” gear. We run a couple dipsy’s with flasher/flies and a leadcore in a 4 color, 7 color, and 10 color.

Agreed what was mentioned above..90-110 in the am and then slide deeper in the afternoon. We have a 19 foot boat and have ran all the way to 300′ when weather permits. We also do not have a Fish Hawk but try to keep our SOG 2.5-3 mph.

For lodging I would recommend the hotel at Hooked up Tackle, River Hills Motel, or one of the local Airbnb joints.

PM me if you would like more info.

Attachments:
    1. Algoma-king-2.jpg

2. Algoma-King.jpg

3. salmon.jpg

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

The plus side also for Algoma is that if the wind is too bad to get out on the big lake you are a close run over to the bay. You can chase walleye, smallies, or muskies there and not waste a day due to weather.

If it is too rough for either you can also run up into the Door for the day. If you havent been up to the Baileys Harbor area, I would highly encourage you to do so.

Justin riegel

Thanks Browndog, I think we are leaning towards River Hills.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

You will like it there. Be aware though that the rooms (atleast the one we had) are very small…almost like a cottage. Super nice though and perfect for just the two of us. Also, if you do have success and need freezer space the Bearcat’s in Algoma will package and freeze your fish for you. I want to say the daily rate was $10/day to hold fish frozen for you.

Justin riegel

You will like it there. Be aware though that the rooms (atleast the one we had) are very small…almost like a cottage. Super nice though and perfect for just the two of us. Also, if you do have success and need freezer space the Bearcat’s in Algoma will package and freeze your fish for you. I want to say the daily rate was $10/day to hold fish frozen for you.

Thank you for the tip that was a concern. Seeing they only have a mini fridge,

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Bearcat’s in Algoma will package and freeze your fish for you

Unfortunately Bearcat’s burned down last summer and they chose not to re-build. I think there is one in GB, but the Algoma one seems gone forever.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Unfortunately Bearcat’s burned down last summer and they chose not to re-build. I think there is one in GB, but the Algoma one seems gone forever.
    [/quote]

What?! No way…that is a bummer!! When did it burn down? We were in there at the end of June. That is a bummer….that place had the best smoked salmon dip.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Looks like it burned down on July 16th. No more Bearcat’s in Algoma. frown

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

As mentioned above. Anywhere from Racine to Washington Island can be good. By end of June water temps set up more predictable depth ranges and easier to follow thermoclines.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.