Who is Rut Bound?

• Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I’m headed over to the SW corner of Wisconsin for what I’m hoping is a fantastic weekend. Cold temps and deer on their feet. Pat is headed to central WI to try to get it done on the same farm we hunted last weekend. All I’ve been hearing is the deer are on the hoof!! They have put eyes on a couple deer 150 plus! Anybody else getting out?

Attachments:
    1. bb-driving.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Shoot one quick so we can get back to prepping for ice!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Boss…. Wrong winds predicted for Saturday and Sunday for me.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

One last check of the property and pulling the trail cam cards to check what’s moving. Rifle season next weekend.

I have to say that I’m pretty pessamistic about the deer situation in my area. I haven’t seen this few deer in our Zone 100 area. Even when the hard winters took a toll in the early/mid 1980s, it wasn’t this bad. The DNR let the harvest remain too high for too long and the return of real winters and wolves did the rest.

I’ll be out for a little bit of predator hunting on Saturday. Nothing better than getting a bead on Mr. Coyote in the early fall as he comes running in looking for free lunch.

Grouse

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I’m getting back into the ice swing, as it’s 30 degrees and I feel like an ice cube up in the tree.

Got here around 3. Hung a quick stand at an amazing piece of property and before I could even get my bow pulled into the tree I had a 120 8ptr at 5 yards. They just cut the corn south of me and the deer are hitting it hard. Now just need mr. Right. Time to get off the phone. I hear two bucks fighting somewhere!

jake47
    WI

Yep I will be out all weekend! East winds predicted which means I will be in my all time favorite rut stand!

Where in SW WI you hunting Ben? I will be near Mt. Horeb but I work in Platteville. Certainly have seen a lot more deer on their feet this week as a LOT of corn has been gobbled up!

Good luck all! Stay safe and warm!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

I’m by coon valley. Tonight was pretty uneventful until it got dark out and the deer popped out of the woodwork. They made it difficult for me to get outta there!

The boys made it to camp so a few brews and some trail camera analytics are on deck!

Pete S

They are definitely on their feet. I was out this am W Central WI and saw 3 bucks, one decent one.

My cousin is in Prairie Du Chien area and he said he watched a 2 yr old chasing a doe around a picked corn field tonight. The best two weeks of the year for a bowhunter for sure.

Jason Beaulieu

Hunting a valley system in Minnesota tomorrow A.M. then mixing it up between river bottoms in Wisconsin. 9 days of whats going to “hopefully” be the best week of the year to be in the tree. Will be another learning curve figuring out how to hunt the tall steep ridges of Minnesota compared to my typical river bottom sets. Going to be a fun week!!!

Pete S

Hunting a valley system in Minnesota tomorrow A.M. then mixing it up between river bottoms in Wisconsin. 9 days of whats going to “hopefully” be the best week of the year to be in the tree. Will be another learning curve figuring out how to hunt the tall steep ridges of Minnesota compared to my typical river bottom sets. Going to be a fun week!!!

Find any type of bench or tops of draws. One of our all time favorite spots is a sloping ridge with a flat spot. just my 2 cents worth. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t find a lot of scrapes in the sloped areas.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Well I have a bench with about a dozen scrapes in a 50 yard area, I’m hoping it pays off. This crazy hilly area is a completely different learning curve.

Mike Anselmo
    Wisconsin

I’ll be in a tree early tomorrow morning. I’ve got a good feeling about tomorrow. Big deer on the brain.

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

First I complain it’s too hot and now it’s too cold! I’m liking the weather for hunting but my intensely shivering body begs to differ!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

First I complain it’s too hot and now it’s too cold! I’m liking the weather for hunting but my intensely shivering body begs to differ!

We woke to 24 degrees here in Richfield. You’re not the only one needing to acclimate to these colder temps. This morning Ollie the wuss-lab stuck his nose outside and tried to back pedal his way out of his AM restroom break. In a couple months we’ll be begging for 20 degree temps.

See any shooters this morning?

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

4 little bucks was it. And of course 2 of them were when I was half way climbing out of the tree to sit a new spot!

A different part of the property my buddy was sitting yielded a lot more action so hopefully tonight it goes down somewhere!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

4 little bucks was it. And of course 2 of them were when I was half way climbing out of the tree to sit a new spot!

A different part of the property my buddy was sitting yielded a lot more action so hopefully tonight it goes down somewhere!

4:45 PM right now. If something is going to happen for you it will happen soon. Put down that phone and focus!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Olivia had a decent buck run a scrape line past her. Never had a clear shot and had to pass. That was around 2. Then a dozen does/yearlings scavenging acorns. Surprised none of them hit the corn or food plots

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

I have to say that I’m pretty pessamistic about the deer situation in my area. I haven’t seen this few deer in our Zone 100 area. Even when the hard winters took a toll in the early/mid 1980s, it wasn’t this bad. The DNR let the harvest remain too high for too long and the return of real winters and wolves did the rest.

I’m up for a 4-day weekend. So far it’s been rough to say the least. At least I’m finding a few scrapes. Have sat in the bow stand 12 times so far since the start of Oct and FINALLY heard a deer blow this eve. Have seen some on the trail cam but have yet to see a single deer while hunting. Mn Zone 1 hunters may be in for a bit of a shock come firearms season.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.