Who has a Lowrance unit and a minnkota motor?

• Dr. Pomoxis

I just purchased a demo boat this fall with Lowrance Carbon bow and console graphs, and a motor guide bow mount motor. I was a Hbird and minnkota guy before, and was pretty used to them. I like the Lowrance graphs (except for mapping), but would like to throw the motor guide over the side of the boat. I despise the thing. It acts possessed, even after I “updated” with the dongle from the company and recalibrated the compass. I am very much considering a Terrova. My options would be:

1. Keep both Lowrance graphs and get a Terrova. If so, Ipilot or ipilot link?

2. Sell the bow lowrance and motor guide. Buy a bow Hbird and Terrova ipilot link.

3. Go back to all Hbird and minnkota.

Would love some opinions from anyone, especially those who have minnkota and lowrance.

Thanks!

Denny O
    Central IOWA

1. Keep both Lowrance graphs and get a Terrova. If so, Ipilot or ipilot link?
    A: Link will not work just basic Terrova I-Pilot functions.

2. Sell the bow lowrance and motor guide. Buy a bow Hbird and Terrova ipilot link.
    A: This will or will not work for all functions, depending on how it is wired, there are too many variables, please expand your thoughts.

3. Go back to all Hbird and minnkota.
    A: All may function as designed.

David Blais

I would buy a helix 12 gen 1 for mapping and a terrova ipilot link. Just shut off the transducer and your good to go. That motor guide trolling motor is a pos!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Take your motor in and get it fixed. There is something wrong with it. I have a buddy with HDS 2 & 3 with the motor guide and has no problems at all. The only thing he dislikes is the lack of a screen on the remote. That’s it.

On the other hand I have a Terrova and have had nothing but trouble with it. Couple that with crap $400 battery chargers, I have lost all faith in Minnkota.

If you don’t like your setup I’d gladly take it off your hands. I wouldn’t count on Minnkota to solve your problems.

hnd

i know a few guys who have not been fans of the motorguide tm’s over the past few years. many have switched to the new terrovas and have been happy.

regarding the mapping on the lowrance, where is your normal haunting grounds?

Dr. Pomoxis

Typically I fish north central MN, from Deer River, to Grand Rapids, to Aitkin. I am using Insight Genesis, which is an improvement for me over CMAP and Navionics. I know Lakemaster isn’t necessarily that great on a number of lakes but it seemed like I could read the maps so much easier on my Hbird. Any thoughts?

I’m going to repeat the motorguide upgrade tomorrow. I’d love to get that thing functional, and use it with the lowrance units, but I’m thinking if that fails, keep one lowrance unit and link a hummingbird to a terrova.

milemark_714

You may have a faulty compass/heading sensor in the head?Did all the updates/re-calibrations and no cigar?As far as I know,there is no way to determine signal strength with motor.Mine has been 98% great,but the 2% killed the GPS module a few weeks ago.Motor did the cord wrap deal,and pulled the sheath of cable out of the module breaking a few wires.I wasn’t paying attention,then I heard the motor jumping on the drive collar.After that,I had no cruise control and GPS light would go on and off.

I removed the part from the motor and found the carnage.Not enough wire to resplice,and it is about a 350.00 dollar or so part.6 months out of warranty,and SOL.I’m sure if I called MG,they will tell me to pound sand or fess-up $ for a new part.

Motor should have a sensor in it,to let it rotate a max of 2 360s and reverse,instead of cranking the cord so tight it breaks wires.It has done it in the past in certain areas,but I caught it and unwound it.Probably had weak signal,but no way of determining it.Signal strength meter would be nice,but?

All in all a good motor,but has those few quirks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.