Who else trail rides?

• to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

I can tell you there are still idiots up north. Just last weekend I met one on the trail that thought he had a time machine and was riding centuries ago when there was no chance of meeting another human on a blind corner. Those are the guys that are dangerous both quading and sledding.

While there always certainly are a few of these speed racers around, we’ve found the Hayward area to be pretty good. There are a lot of families riding and what seem to be more responsible people in general that are out for a nice ride; at least during daylight hours. Travel out after dark and all bets are off…… We rode sleds up in Northern UP once and I couldn’t believe how many wanna be racers were flying around. 3 different times we met groups that were racing each other and going two wide around tight corners. One of those encounters lead to 3 of their sleds all colliding with each other and flying off into the timber. Once we found they were all physically OK, we really didn’t give a rats &ss how they were going to get the 3 mangled sleds out of there.

Coletrain27

Yea sled riding the UP is racing 100mph down the fire roads and gets boring to me. Only went there once also

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Black Hills was awesome for us.

Those pictures are awesome. Where more specifically in the hills is that?

Ellenson

We stayed in a VRBO in Lead, we rode all over Spearfish Canyon, Hillcity, Custer, Keystone. With South Dakotas laws you can practically drive anywhere out there. Minus long drive out there I would highly recommend taking a trip to the Black Hills.

Terry Heese

A group of 4 couples heading for the Black Hills Sunday, riding quads out of Mt Meadows by Hill City. We did the same trip last year, awesome scenery

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I used to ride a bunch in Wisconsin from BRF, Hurley, Danbury and Hayward areas. We haven’t been in WI this year and most likely won’t be back much with their new OEM seat rule in WI.

MN has the same rule, implemented same year don’t they?

I used to ride all over the nemadji but the only buddy who really wanted to ride often moved to south carolina. Now I’m in WI and, granted almost every road is a legal ATV route, I don’t care to ride on pavement so I just use the brute Force for yard work mostly.

Coletrain27

MN does not have the oem seat law as far as I know:???:

404 ERROR
    MN

That’s not the law I’m talking about. WI statute 23.33(3e) is what I’m referencing. This does not cover “bump seats” that are not allowed, this discusses that no UTV may operate with seating that is not original to the machine, regardless if it adds capacity or not. Aftermarket seating of any kind is not legal in Wisconsin. Confirmed with multiple CO’s and even Lt. Warden Marty Stone.

Also stated on page 40 of the new reg book.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Sold my race quads many years ago along with my sled. This year I have been shopping for a 2 up ATV since my wife doesn’t like to drive. They have been hard to come by or way overpriced. I think a lot of that has to do with WI seat law. I am not in any hurry since I have too many projects going on to truly take advantage of owing one. Used to do a lot of trail riding with a buddy before his wife took his ATVs in the divorce. If anyone knows of a 2 up ATV for a fair price shoot me a PM. I would get another sled if we would get more consistent snow in southern MN.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Well if that isnt the stupidest F&#*$& thing I have ever seen.
    Someone messed up putting that in there and CO’s shouldnt be enforcing it.

“It is not legal to operate with passengers in
    any after-market seating placed in the cargo
    area of an ATV or UTV. UTV original factory
    seating may not be modified.

I always knew it was illegal to ride double on a single seat quad but Ill be damned if Im not going to do it occasionally. Taking my wife on a short ride to the bar all wrapped around me is a pleasure Im willing to risk once in a while.

Coletrain27

Yep even if you have one of these it’s not legal. Has to be designated from the factory for more than one person to ride On the atv

Attachments:
    1. 31B5B9DA-FBDB-40C4-992C-752DE0608E73.jpeg

glenn57
    cold spring mn

wife and i used to ride sleds alot with my parents when my dad was alive. i’m down to one snowmobile, but it sat in moms shed for 5 years. had a guy tune it up and now its at the cabin in Itasca county. use it every chance i get in the winter. man them trails up there are awesome.

ATV’s i have 1 but there are 3 more at the cabin. we may go for a scenic ride on occasion but no hard core long rides. mostly used to do things around the cabin, hunting and fishing!!!1

and i’m a Bombardiere guy!!!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I ride all the time. Recent purchase was a grizzly 700se 2022, also have a 89 banshee, just sold a 87 250r with a cr500 motor in it. And we have numerous dirt bikes. We run up to moose lake all the time but ride trails from my drive way to pine city all over between

CaptainMusky

Yea sled riding the UP is racing 100mph down the fire roads and gets boring to me. Only went there once also

Get off the beaten path and ride the little logging roads. After a recent snow they are often untouched and a blast to play around in. Havent been to the UP in many years since I just have utility sleds for ice fishing, but the UP was a blast.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

So, on top of banning 2-up riding even with a specially made 2-up seat, they also ban any use of aftermarket seat parts? Sounds like overstepping at best, collusion with the OEM’s at the worst. What a joke.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Wait so now you can operate with passengers in MN? According to 2022 reg book, page 19. Interesting.

On the Wisconsin side of things, when my aftermarket seat is all bolted up my wife is actually sitting her butt on the ATV seat. SO…. by this definition, it would be legal because she’s actually sitting on the seat which IS designed to be sat on. This would be a fun fight if ever one were ticketed for it.

“No person may ride in or on any part of an ATV
    or UTV that is not designed or intended to be
    used by passengers”

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Wait so now you can operate with passengers in MN? According to 2022 reg book, page 19. Interesting.

On the Wisconsin side of things, when my aftermarket seat is all bolted up my wife is actually sitting her butt on the ATV seat. SO…. by this definition, it would be legal because she’s actually sitting on the seat which IS designed to be sat on. This would be a fun fight if ever one were ticketed for it.

used by passengers”

In order to ride 2 people on an atv in WI it has to come from the factory as a 2 passenger unit.

404 ERROR
    MN

used by passengers”

The kicker in WI is the statement “not designed or intended to be used by passengers”. Just because it’s a seat, does NOT mean it was designed for passengers. Designed to be sat on? Yes. By the driver, not a passenger. You’ll lose the battle faster than me racing home after eating at a Chinese buffet…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>KPE wrote:</div>

used by passengers”

The kicker in WI is the statement “not designed or intended to be used by passengers”. Just because it’s a seat, does NOT mean it was designed for passengers. Designed to be sat on? Yes. By the driver, not a passenger. You’ll lose the battle faster than me racing home after eating at a Chinese buffet…

Oh man a Chinese buffet sounds delicious

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

What a year for sledding. We have been riding every weekend with no end in sight. And up till now it hasnt even been crazy cold. Im sure we’ll talk about this winter for a long time.

Jason

What a year for sledding.

I agree, the warm weather has been great. Some guys in my group have over 2k miles on this year allready.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My wife and I are now frequent riders and not long riders. Those days are gone.
    I think we did 120 last weekend with 75 being on Sat. Felt plenty long enough for us! grin Planning to get out by mid-afternoon this Friday for sure because of the temp change Sat. Not sure how motivated we will be on Sat but we always brag about all the cold weather we have ridden and how much we like it. Time to put up or shut up on Sat!! jester My wife is the frost bite queen.

Kirk Charipar
    west central wi

Bern riding Polaris snowmobiles since I took safety class at age 14. Mainly ride northwest Wisconsin, even through the “no snow years” where we had to trailer to Rice Lake, WI and points northward. After 10 years riding two up on a single rider, I told my wife it was time for her own sled grin We also ride with my dad, brother and his wife, so now we are up to five sleds, with a two and a three place trailer.

Viewing 23 posts - 31 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.