Whitefish Bay or Lake Nipigon In The Fall?

• TMF89

So I’m working on planning the annual fall fishing trip for my group of guys, and these two options came up. Anyone have any experience with either? We normally go sometime in early/mid September. We’re pretty versatile when it comes to target species, so we’d be as interested in chasing lakers or brook trout as bass or walleye. Some of us have plenty of experience fishing Canadian Shield type water, and none of us have ever been to either location, let alone during that timeframe. None of us have much experience chasing trout in the fall, but it definitely sounds like a blast. Basically, we’re just looking for any information we can find. Thanks!

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

With my handful of trips to whitefish bay in the winter, I know you won’t be upset if that’s what you choose. Can only speak for Lakers through the ice though.

Big orange finned Brookies are on the bucket list too!!

bigpike

My experience is more late spring to mid summer on Nipigon. I only did one trip in fall up there and that was many years ago. Pike fishing is low numbers high trophy potential. I know the spec fishing can be unreal in the fall. It’s on my bucket list….

Ed Lashyro
    NULL

We have had our best success fishing Specs from first ice out to the end of June. Lakers can be from ice out until Mid August. For size and quantity of lakers you can narrow it down to last week of June thru the Trout Hunt in Mid July. After that it is slower as the fish go deeper and your odds go down.

Keep in mind this lake is unforgiving and going up after August the wind can blow hard and long. Thats why most islands are named after people, the reason being they were the first ones stranded on that island first.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.