Whitefish?

• fishhuntguy

Is there a fishable population in superior? I know guys catch some herring (Cisco) but can you target whitefish and if so when and where? Thanks for any info.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve seen many shows and reports coming from the Chequamegon Bay Area. I think you can catch a few from Two Harbors area too.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Saw a lot of whitefish at Two Harbors last year in August and September. Friends from TH said that October had a lot of the whitefish/herring action too.

fishhuntguy

Do any get caught in the silver Bay Area or is the water too deep in that area?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’m not entirely sure how the deeper and colder water around the Silver Bay area affects whitefish or herring. I’ve seen both along the TH breakwater wall just cruising along and we’ve seen them out on the lake from the boat too. They never seem to be more than 20-25 feet down but most of the water that gets fished and where the fish are seen is between 100 and 200 feet. I’ve been over 300 foot water near TH but didn’t see any herring or whitefish.

I don’t know enough about the preferred water temps, preferred depths or just not enough about either fish to really answer your question, but I’d assume that they can be caught up in the Silver bay area. I don’t fish that area much, mostly TH and Knife River.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.