Which heater for a Thermal shack

• Curtis Shumaker

In the process of buying an Otter XT Pro Lodge and was curious what type of heater would be appropriate. I have always run a Mr Heater sunflower that you can use as a cooktop too. I found the Mr Heater portable buddy for 70 bucks so I bought that but now I am seeing a big buddy for about 80 bucks. Just curious what you guys think. Thought the portable buddy was a little smaller and easier to transport and the big buddy seemed overkill. I had a Frabill Predator prior which was non thermal. Never even been inside of thermal shack on the ice. Thanks for you input.

Lund1775
    Plymouth, MN

I run the portable buddy on a 20# propane tank inside of a Clam Jason Mitchell 5-sided thermal hub and it works very well. stay really warm on the cold days and just turn it down to low after it heats up. Even in my old non thermal hub shelter it worked great.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

On my xt1200 pro resort I used the sunflower but found it to get too hot even on the low setting, even with my coat off. This year I switched to a thermablaster porcelain heater, similar to a buddy heater but stripped down and cheaper, with electric start an hose and regulator. Also, it’s a full variable switch on the heat setting.

sidescan

Buddy heater on a 20# bottle. Eskimo thermal.Keeps it warm up to -30C using a overhead fan. Much colder than that I stay home and keep warm. Fish safe.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I was unable to regulate heat with sunflower. Too hot. Buddy works unless very cold. I dont have a Big Buddy. That would probably be perfect.

JFan02

Big Buddy with a 20# tank has never let us down in either a non-insulated or insulated house. In a flip over it is usually more than enough and in a hub insulated it gets the job done without a problem as well.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

I have a thermal lodge and run a big buddy, used to run a sunflower. I like the big buddy cause I can turn it way down to low once the house is warmed up, but have the high setting to get things goings from cold. The big buddy has 4,000, 9,000,18,000 btu settings where you are stuck with 10,000, 12,500 & 15,000 with the sunflower. A regular buddy is going to be a little light IMO if you are going to fish in double digit below zero & windy conditions with only 4,000 & 9,000 settings. If you plan to run either buddy’s off 1# cylinders you are rarely going to get the full heat like you will off a bulk cylinder.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.