Where to replace a boat trailer axle?

• manbearpig

I have a 3500#, galvanized, 2006 Shorelandr’ single axle boat trailer that has been used in saltwater a fair amount as well. The current spring style axle assembly is looking pretty rusty and I would like to replace it. Probably with another spring axle but would like to consider a Torsion axle with replaceable Vault spindles.

I would like to hear any of your thoughts on doing this, but more importantly, I need to know who is really good at this work. The trailer is used for hauling to the Florida Keys sometimes. I live about 25 miles north of Brainerd, and would like to get it done correctly within 150 miles from here. Mpls., Duluth, and especially St. Cloud would work, if there is nothing around Brainerd.

We have many local Marinas that do some of this work, but I don’t know how carful they are to measure, and get the exact same distance from the tongue to the center of each hub, etc. I’m more concerned with getting it done right than just getting it done locally.

bob58

Give Smokey Hills Welding(Mike Elkington) a call. 218-573-2134
    He replaces axles,builds trailers and does all sorts of welding.
    He is located 3 miles west of Osage MN on HWY 34.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

This is a really easy job that any mechanic can perform and most people just do on their own in the driveway, if someone knows a reputable shop in your area you shouldn’t have any issues. One thing to ask is that they repack the bearings, sometimes they skimp on the grease quality and quantity on new axles. A warranty doesn’t do you much good if you lose a bearing along the highway. For a repair like this look for a spring and axle/trailer shop more than a marine/boat repair place.

fishingstar
    central mn / starlake

I work for towmaster trailers. Replacing the axle with the same style axle would be very easy. To change to a torsion ax is very doable.
    We do have a team of guys that all they do is repairs to trailers.

dbright
    Cambridge

I ordered one through a dealer from shorelander with hubs and bearings for $150 a few years ago. It was a direct replacement and cheaper than anywhere else I found.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

I ordered one through a dealer from shorelander with hubs and bearings for $150 a few years ago. It was a direct replacement and cheaper than anywhere else I found.

Something like this. I’ve ordered axles online. In my case, it was just a couple U bolts.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Most did not read his post he wants to switch from springs to torsion.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.