where to fish backwaters of Mississippi river in metro for crappies

• Walker Rask

I’ve been looking for areas to fish panfish off the metro but dont know where to find them.. tried off tresure island bay but other then that dont know wheres safe or to go lmk anything would help. Thanks!

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would say no safe ice this year on the river with the weather we are having. Maybe in a boat.

10klakes

Its all trial and error. The guys that find them put in weeks of off season work – locating potential spots deep enough on aerials, watching the spring floods and which backwater lakes get rejuvenated, watching the water levels come fall making sure they haven’t dried up, finding public access routes etc etc.

It’s a lot like the guys that put in year round work for hunting- scouting spots, food plot prep and planting, monitoring trail cams, etc.

Pin a few on google maps, hop in the truck with good walking boots and a spud bar and start exploring. Most aren’t willing to put in the work and just try to vulture spots.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I can’t speak for the Metro river area, but for Pools 4 and 5 it’s all about finding submerged wood in or near deep water. “Deep” water is relative. There’s no set depth, rather in relation to surrounding areas. Some of the best river crappie fishing I’ve had is in 8-10′ of water, in areas with surrounding 3-4′ deep sand flats.

Once you find them, don’t share with a soul.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.