Where is the mississippi trout thread?

• Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

I Decided to post this here cause we were pre fishing for the freeze your butt of tournament. My fishing partner Dave caught this brown trout in 12 feet of water on a plain hook and minnow off a Dubuque rig North of everts Friday evening. I’ve heard of trout occasionally being caught, but never thought I would ever see it. Pretty cool if you ask me. Im in my 5th year of trying to learn pool 4, and It was our first time fishing the tournament. Fishing was tough for most, except for the couple 25 and 27 pound bags brought in. Goes to show I have lots more to learn and try on pool 4. We did weigh 4 fish though, and if we had one more we would have made the 9th or 10th spot which I was very pleased with. Maybe next year. I know im fairly new to pool 4, but I have never seen the amount of pike that were being caught. Our biggest was in the 7 to 8 pound range and seen one caught that had to go 18+ pounds with numerous 2 to 4 pounders caught. Highlight of the weekend was by far the brown trout though.

Attachments:
    1. 20180302_171258.jpg

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Now if we could just get an epic run of Mississippi steelhead established, we’d really have something.

My father set the hook on a nice walleye at the outlet of Lake Pepin in the 1970s. The thing came leaping out of the water with a beautiful arc, just like a rainbow trout. Well, as it turned out, it WAS a rainbow trout. Nice one too, about 3 pounds.

Grouse

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The trout come out of Hay Creek but more likely the Trimbell with the cold water and more food in the river. There’s been reports of browns being caught at the dam. Some dandy’s too.

This is the time when a person says “Ya never know what you’ll catch in the river” lol!

There was another Brown caught this weekend as well. Pretty little buggers eh?

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Steve Vick posted a Trout his son caught during the FYB on Saturday too.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Are the trout able to find their way back into the trout creeks once the water warms up, or do they perish in the big river once it warms up and oxygen in the water decreases.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

I’m willing to bet that most trout who wander out of the trout streams end up being dinner for walleyes, pike, and maybe even a big smallie…especially the ones in the 6-10 inch range….

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

“Now if we could just get an epic run of Mississippi steelhead established, we’d really have something. ”

There’s no such thing as Steelhead. LOL

Browns can tolerate fairly warm water, and might be able to make a living in the river for quite a while. But eventually they’d move back towards cooler water. Rainbows however need colder water, and most of them will eventually perish. I’ve read that’s why the MN DNR tries to establish self sustaining populations of Browns in the Driftless. The rainbows they plant are assumed to be caught and kept otherwise they just keep moving down stream.

SR

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Pike seek out the cooler water of the creeks entering the river in the warm summer months, I don’t know why a trout couldn’t find it’s way back to a cooler creek.

Personally when I see a 3 pound trout caught on the river, I wonder how it can find enough food in one of those trout streams to stay alive.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I got this one at red wing this winter. Walleye were hard to find but I think this is the biggest trout I’ve ever got.

Attachments:
    1. 20180126_2243422.jpg

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Personally when I see a 3 pound trout caught on the river, I wonder how it can find enough food in one of those trout streams to stay alive.

They more than likely eat a lot of small browns and chubs/minnows. When brown trout reach a certain size they become, almost strictly, piscavores(fish-eaters).

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Trico’s and Midge’s just won’t make a fish the size above!

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

I bet those big browns eat a lot of largemouth. At least I hope they do. devil

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Found this beautiful 23″ guy on pool 5 this past Saturday dragging jigs in 10′. Shocked I was!

Attachments:
    1. WP_20180317_12_38_39_Pro-2.jpg

ProStaffSteve

Girlfriend pulled this today while we were catching 12”+ perch.

Attachments:
    1. 8A05E2A1-11AD-49F3-92FB-9579B6386B66.jpeg

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

And that’s not even a brown! Even more rare.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Wow, what the hell happened to its tail?

ProStaffSteve

We are thinking pike, as there are several 30”+ in the area or a boat prop. Personally I think a slimmer grabbed him.

buschman
    Pool 2

I found an old photo of one my Dad caught while we were out on the Croix.. So was on the Croix but still a nice Brown!!

Attachments:
    1. brown-trout.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.