Where are the Wrens????

• trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

We’ve had 2 or 3 nesting pairs of house wrens in our back yard every spring for 30 years…. this year I’ve only heard or seen a couple birds. No pairs and certainly no nesting activity.

Anyone else noticing the same?

Pete

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

We had two nesting pairs last year as well. Wife purchased another bird house this spring for them and so far nothing in any of the bird houses. Have not seen 1 of then this year.

dentedboatguy

The wrens in our area, an hour north of Eau Claire, usually show early to mid-June.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Anyone else noticing the same?

Nope! They’ve gotten really active in the past week/week-and-a-half, and I don’t live far from you. Constant singing, and I can’t take the dog out without getting chattered at constantly. rotflol

I have 4 boxes out, and they’re filling them with sticks.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

WOW!!! I have been thinking the same thing. I brought it up to my wife last week. We always have wrens in our back yard and I cant remember the last year they didn’t nest in our wren box. Seems like we would have seen them by now but I have never logged it.
    Same thing with Thrashers. One of my favorite birds and they thrive around our house.
    That has perplexed me as well.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Apparently, they’re all at my house.

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

Apparently, they’re all at my house.

Between you and me that must be. Though I do have several houses out for them, but I’ve had at least three males singing away for almost a month. I remembered to clean out the last house about a week before they showed back up.

B-man

Something that was awfully strange for us this year….

This was the first spring in 11 years of being at our house that our dogs have gotten wood ticks in our yard????

My first assumption was a lack of tick predators.

the_hat
    SE Metro

The one and only will be on channel 5 tonight about 10:15!!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Do you have my Thrashers too!!!!

No, I have never seen one here.

My first assumption was a lack of tick predators.

You need some possums. rotflol

maddogg

I have a few wrens but haven’t see a bluebird yet–strange.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I have seen bluebirds and orioles but none of the others discussed or hummingbirds yet. They are all gonna pissed if they are here for this weekends weather. 30’s the next couple mornings!!!!! High in the 40’s tomorrow……..

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

or hummingbirds yet.

Really? What are you doing over on the east side? I’m about to fill my hummer feeder for the third time.

CaptainMusky

No wrens here North of Sartell. Normally those noisy buggers are all over the place. Orioles, Bluebirds, Thrashers are all back however and they typically arrive here before wrens so my guess they are just behind schedule. Probably a nagging wife keeping them.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Hummingbirds in NW sconny!!!!!! I gotta make some nectar!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

No wrens here North of Sartell.

My parents live just a few miles south of you. I talked to my mom on Tuesday, and she said they have lots of them around their yard. So, they’re there.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

My parents live just a few miles south of you. I talked to my mom on Tuesday, and she said they have lots of them around their yard. So, they’re there.

OK, haven’t heard or seen them yet but that is good to hear even though they are noisy buggers.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

Must still be migrating… rotflol

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Must still be migrating…

They needed to stop for a layover on the north side of Sartell prior to making the push to CaptainMusky’s place. rotflol

CaptainMusky

I have a love/hate relationship with them. )

SAME

They needed to stop for a layover on the north side of Sartell prior to making the push to CaptainMusky’s place. rotflol

I am fine if they stop where they are LOL.
    Those little buggers are cruel to other birds. I have a pair of cardinals nesting in my lilacs and if it isnt the red squirrels messing around with them its the wrens. Last summer there was a heckuva commotion going on and I see a red squirrel invading the nest. Momma Cardinal was not happy. I got the pellet gun and shot it.
    Momma Cardinal sat on my Shepherds hook and sang to me all afternoon in appreciation. At least, that is what a chalked it up as. LOL

CaptainMusky

The wrens have officially arrived. Saw and heard my first one yesterday. All is right with the World now I guess.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Ours came in over Memorial day weekend. The one good thing about this hot weather is my bedroom window is closed and they aren’t waking me up at 0500! Lol

CaptainMusky

Ours came in over Memorial day weekend. The one good thing about this hot weather is my bedroom window is closed and they aren’t waking me up at 0500! Lol

For something so small they sure are loud that is for dang sure. I know why it took them so long to get here. They only fly at most 50 feet at a time LOL

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Our wren houses now have nesting going on in them as well. They were a little later showing up this year.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Still haven’t seen wrens. Chickadees are nesting elsewhere as well. Wonder if there is a new hawk or owl in the neighborhood…..

Did see a cowbird at the feeder yesterday.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

There are a bunch of wren fledglings out in our front yard today. Ma and Pa didn’t take kindly to my dog this morning. ) The little ones are still pretty clumsy.

CaptainMusky

My wrens arrived about a month ahead of last year. Strange considering how late our Spring was, if you could even call it Spring.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My wrens have not arrived but my Thrashers have. We had orioles and hummingbirds at our cabin in NW Wis this weekend so that’s good. And catbirds. We get a pair in our yard every year. They have incredible song in the spring. Very much like a thrasher.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.