What’s the best thermal underwear out there?

• Buzz
    Minneapolis MN

Need to find something really warm. Ice fishing and deer stand.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

I like the Under Armor 2.0 or 3.0 base layer.

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Eating beans the night before. jester

tindall
    Minneapolis MN

Merino wool is light, warm, drys fast, and doesnt smell. I’ve switched to it for all activities.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve used about everything that has come along for decades. Right now I’m on the merino wool bandwagon. Unlike the wools of yesteryear they are comfortable on your skin. I have used minus 33 for the last few years in two different weights. To date the best I have ever had. Im an avid snowmobiler and think that puts cold weather gear to the test more than anything. Sitting still on stand is a pretty tough test too.

zooks

I also prefer merino over poly and use midweight models, adjusting layers on top depending on temp and activities. Depending on brand, it can be an investment ($150+ for a set is normal) but it usually wears better than poly and doesn’t stink if you have it on for multiple days.

All the brands have different cuts so try on a few and stick to whatever fits you best. Hope this helps, good luck.

I use a lot of woolX products. Moved to that after using smartwool. From my experience, the woolX outlasts smartwool by a good margin.

tswoboda

The military surplus grid fleece is really hard to beat for price and performance. Same polartec material is used in Patagonia base layers that cost $130 a piece.

The great thing about merino is it won’t stink, like ever! But grid fleece is warmer for the weight, breathes better, and dries faster.

jld
    Holmen

I like the Under Armor 2.0 or 3.0 base layer.

X2 no issues with warmth for me on the 3.0. If my wife can stay warm with these anyone can.

Mike Lehmann

I just got new UA base 3.0 and it’s different than the old version. Theres no cell like insulation I dont think it’s as warm…pretty dissapointed.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I love the Cabelas e.c.w.g.s thermals. Super warm but breathable in the right spots.
    The pair i have is probably 5 years old and there isn’t a ripped stitch or hole anyway and I wear them often for outdoor winter activities.
    Expensive but worth it

iTinker

I prefer a sherpa lined layer over an under armor base. It’s good to -30 when paired with a normal snow suit, and wicks well. Never underestimate how good a pair of baffin boots are too.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

WHAT’S THE BEST THERMAL UNDERWEAR OUT THERE?

Well,

Navy beans with ham hocks in homemade soup.
    No skivvies in a tight insulated jumpsuit!

Can I get an Amen here?

Denny O
    Central IOWA

^^^
    That will be all the heat that one could stand! jester

zooks

The military surplus grid fleece is really hard to beat for price and performance. Same polartec material is used in Patagonia base layers that cost $130 a piece.

This is a good idea for a budget set, will likely get one myself this winter.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Cabela’s POLAR weight are unbelievably warm…but they’re almost to warm. If you have to do any walking at all, you’ll sweat. When I wear these, I won’t put a coat on and I’ll wear super light pants (nobody needs to see my walking in long underwear).

Merino wool is a very good choice for active cold weather activities.

Ice Cap

I’ve had good luck with Duluth Trading stuff in particular their Alaskan Hardgear line. They are running some awesome deals right now as well.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

This is a good idea for a budget set, will likely get one myself this winter.

Great info. Thanks for sharing that. I just googled
    “military surplus grid fleece”.

tswoboda

Great info. Thanks for sharing that. I just googled
    “military surplus grid fleece”.

Search for ECWCS Gen III Level 2 and should get the most results.

FYI this stuff uses “military sizing” which I’ve concluded means order a size down. My size small set fits the same or bigger than all of my other size medium base layers.

Mookie Blaylock
    Wright County, MN

I use a merino wool pair for my bottom insulation.
    I got them at a 3/4 length so they end at about the same point as where my socks end (mid shin). I’ve always hated the bulkiness that ends up getting tucked into my boot.
    Fixes this 100%

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.