What's better for a lake trout or pike rod, graphite or fiberglass?

• iceager01
    Redwood County/Scott County

I’m thinking of having a custom rod made for pike and lakers and was wondering if graphite is a necessary component in the construction…, this will be an ice rod… Thanks in advance for your thoughts and recomendations…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I really like the glass rods myself. Very durable and I feel they stay loaded up better. The last thing you want is to lose contact with a lake trout. There’s really no reason for the added sensitivity of graphite. I’m not saying graphite is inferior, I personally prefer glass over graphite.

One of the benefits I could see with graphite would be a better hookset in deeper water.

iceager01

Hey Thanks Biggill got any thoughts on length? I’m thinkin somewhere in about 38 or 42 inches… I don’t want too long for traveling and packing purposes but don’t want too short either.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Graphite you can really get a solid hookset. Not saying you cannot with glass just for deep water graphite and braid is awesome.

I like the longest rod I can carry in my case which is 38″ normally and I have now a case for 42″ rods.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I got my LTP from John ^^^ a couple years ago. I think mine is a 44″ but it doesn’t fit in any cases, that I know of.

Work with John to get what you want. You won’t go wrong.

One other bit of advice, if you’re regularly targeting larger fish, >10 lbs, I highly recommend a very long handle. This was an oversight by me when I ordered mine. Next time I’ll go with the longest handle I can get.

Eyes-glow@Night

I catch Lakers and stripers on my lake here in pa.I use uglystick striper rods. Glass all the way. Good fishing ”””””””

iceager01

Thanks for all the feedback, its all good stuff,
    the rod I had in mind would have an 8-9 inch cork handle and I am considering 42 in length, I am glad hook-set was mentioned as I didn’t consider that and that’s probably the most important… Again Thanks everyone, as they say here “Tight Lines!”…

iceager01

Well I ended up ordering a 48 inch graphite with an 11 inch tennessee handle with rec outside guides, I’m planning to use a symetre 2500 with power pro line or maybe braid… thought those interested would like to know.. Thanks again for all the input…

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have a 42″ Thorne Bros. graphite rod and I like it. My friend has their glass version and wishes he had graphite. Check it out in action 2 weeks ago.

Twins Guy
    NULL

Quite a day fishing there Fife!

I recently acquired a TUCR (graphite) commander and got to test it out last weekend. Couldn’t be happier with it! Most of my lake trout fishing is in smaller BWCA lakes (and likely smaller fish).

tg

iceager01

Totally Awesome video… TB makes the best (IMHO)… mine too is TB..
    I can hardly wait…

Al Case

Great video! I’m green with envy. ) (nice music, too)

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Glass for me. I run a 42″ TUC LTP and a custom built off a Rainshadow E- glass GCB70M. The Rain shadow has a little softer tip section which I prefer over the LTP. I have 6″ handles, casting seats and run 5500 Abu level wind reels.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.