What to cut rod (St. Croix) with???

• Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I broke 5 ” off the tip of my St. Croix Victory spinning rod. I would like to just put a tip on it but it isn’t a clean cut. I don’t have a Dremel tool. Decades ago I cut a rod using a triangular file by going gently around and around.

I thought about a drive to my archery shop and using their arrow saw – but 45 miles away.

Any suggestions?

tswoboda

Cutoff wheel on an angle grinder or hack saw with a sharp blade will both work. No matter what you use to cut put some masking tape over it first and cut through that.

And I’m sure you know this but 5″ off the tip is going to kill that rod.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

The corner of any file will work.
    If you have a hacksaw with fine teeth pulling backwards can work.
    Angle grinder with cutoff wheel.
    Using a backer or V block will help, can even sandwich the rod between to pieces you have used a drill to create pocket/cradel.
    As mentioned tape to help avoid splintering and dont rush the job.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Call St. Croix. They have excellent customer service. Not sure where the victory is in the line up, but it could be covered under a warranty. 5″ is a lot to lose off a tip.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Check with Croix and see what they say,great customer service.If you have to put a tip on check with your mechanic and use his tubing cutter for brake lines and such.
    I would think losing 5″ off the tip would make it a mighty stiff rod.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Decades ago I cut a rod using a triangular file by going gently around and around.

Best low tech solution right there.

I’ll not comment on the tubing cutter suggestion.

Nick Schmitz

As a rod builder i would suggest wrapping several rounds of masking tape around the blank. Then carefully and slowly use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and go around the blank and cut through the tape. Otherwise using a triangular file and going around the blank through the tape may be your best bet. You’re only doing one rod so doing it as fast and efficient as possible isn’t that great of a concern. I wouldn’t recommend using a hacksaw. One catch and it could split the blank and its all over. Been there tried that.

duh queen

Head down to Parkfalls and visit St Croix’s factory. I lost the top 1/3 of a UL66f2. They replaced the top half for only $25. Isn’t $25 a cheap price to pay for getting your old rod back? Losing that top 5″ will make it a pool cue relative to what it should be. Call St Croix. They stand by their product.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

Thanks guys. I will try the tape and triangular file. I just need it solid to put a tip on.

St. Croix CS is great. I sent 3 pictures (model/serial/break) and they will replace it under warranty. Cost me shipping one way since I didn’t need to send the broken rod.

It’s 7′ 10″ MLXF rod that I thought was too wimpy for a jigging rod, so losing 5″ might make me like it. I have a 7′ 3″ MXF I like better. Plus a have another of the 7′ 10″.

It’s a one piece rod so I can’t “replace the top half”.

Also I think I know how I broke it and a “tip” for others. I put a rod sock on the rod and put it in my boat’s rod locker. This sock had an elastic strap to put on the reel. I think while getting out other rods the reel handle turned. Being in the sock it had nowhere else to bend except the last 6″.

Thanks again.

duh queen

Well, I guess that’s the price you pay for living in the “fast”, or should I rephrase it, the “X-fast” lane. Glad everything worked out, and you got another jigging rod for the cost of shipping and a tip top. mrgreen

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.