What The…?

• IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Anyone on here ever seen anything like this? I certainly haven’t. Its just on the back of this small Pike, nowhere else. Parasites?

Attachments:
    1. Blue-spotted-Pike.jpg

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

That looks like blue spot disease (Esocid Herpesvirus1). I would send a note to the MN DNR and let them know when and where you caught it. They would probably appreciate knowing where this is taking place.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Hmm, never heard of it. After a quick google search, its tough to tell. But I think I will send the DNR a E-mail and see what they say. I had another guy tell me its parasites that fall off the weeds onto these small Northerns that spend a lot of time in the weeds. What doesn’t make sense to me is why don’t the other fish that spend their whole lives in weeds get these markings?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Looks fungal to me. I’m with H4W on contacting the dnr regarding this.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I have an E-mail (w/pic) out to the DNR. I’ll report back with their conclusion when I get it back.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

E-mail has been forwarded to the Tower fisheries office.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I have received back an e-mail:

Hi Nick

It sure is. (Blue Spot Disease) I observed this a lot in spring when I worked with spawning muskellunge in Wisconsin and see it each year in our area lakes in Minnesota when we handle northern pike in spring. I have attached an informative handout that Vermont uses, should answer your questions. Give me a shout if you have any additional questions.

Best regards.

<>< <>< <>< <ยบ))))))))><
    Thomas Burri
    Assistant Area Fisheries Supervisor | Fisheries Section

Attachments:
    1. Blue-Spot_N-Pike.pdf

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

It seems to be fairly common & OK to the species. It was something I had never seen before.. Now I know!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.