What rod for sturgeon

• Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Hey what do we look for in a sturgeon rod. Not that brand specific just weights length that sort of thing. Thank you for all info

rschmidty

You want something with a soft tip and a stout butt.

Around 7ft, some go longer.

Weights are relative to the brand. For example, we use ugly stik tiger rods. Med light. 7ft. You would think med light isn’t enough but the butt end is extremely thick and stout but the med light gives it a super light tip. This could be equivalent to a med heavy or heavy in another brand. We have no trouble getting a big 50+ inch fish in under 5 minutes. 80lb test braid.

I would add that a bass or walleye rod probably isn’t going to cut it. Can they get them in sure but most fish in the 50inch range or smaller shouldn’t take more than 5 minutes to get in. Not until you get to 60 inch fish should it take longer.so make sure the rod can handle the fight. Longest fight in our boat was a 17 minute fight against a 71 inch sturgeon.

It might be easier to take suggestions of rods regular sturgeon chasers use, then research which one you like and fits in your price range. Like I said I use the Ugly Stik Tiger. Our group has about 30 of them. Cost between $60-$70.

Good luck.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

Very nice thank you I have just used my musky rods and they have been fine but looking to become more specific

Sam
    St.Francis

I like a 8′ or 8’6″ medium heavy or heavy rod right now I have two Fenwick predator heavys one with a Abu 6600 bcx and a new Komodo SS and they do the job great I do like the rippin lips supercat rods too

404 ERROR
    MN

I use a 7′ 6″ MH F St. Croix Triumph with an Ambassadeur STX 6600. The rod works pretty good but I’m not a Triumph fan necessarily. I got it for a price I couldn’t refuse from the sports show a number of years back. 80lb Power Pro.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I have not been able to see them in the store yet. But I am hearing good things about the new St. Croix Mojo Cat rods.

Sam
    St.Francis

I have not been able to see them in the store yet. But I am hearing good things about the new St. Croix Mojo Cat rods.

The fore grip is a little small for my liking they are in most of the fleet farm

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.