What reel for Northern Pike?

• Ryan Harrison

I am looking to catch northern pike around 3ft 10 lbs in Alberta, Canada. I don’t know what reels to use as I have always used spinning reels but want to try a bait caster. I was looking at the Shimano SLX XT reel. will this be good for pike this size? Any other bait cast reel recommendations?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The Slx xt will work fine

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Any of the Abu Garcia bait casters will be fine. They are tough and cheap. Be sure to set your drag correctly. Also use a 20lb. mono backing for your braid.

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

I will not tell you that your choice is not a nice reel.
    I will say that you really, really need to look at the Daiwa Tutula line of reels.
    Good Luck chasing those pike!

tomr
    cottage grove, mn

Any of the Abu Garcia bait casters will be fine. They are tough and cheap. Be sure to set your drag correctly. Also use a 20lb. mono backing for your braid.

X2!!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I was looking at the Shimano SLX XT reel. will this be good for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike this size? Any other bait cast reel recommendations?

Shimano sets the standard for quality, so you’re in the right ballpark. The SLX is primarily a bass reel, even in the XT version. For only slightly more money, you can get into a Shimano Curado K. Pretty similar, just slightly bigger line capacity and then beefed up components for inshore fishing. It’s a better match for your use, in my mind. Buy the best reel now and you’ll still use it in 15 years.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Unlike a lot of Big Pike and Muskie fishermen I prefer a low profile reel over a Round style one. I have rather small hands and the low profile style just is more comfortable for me. Depending on your budget I’d look at a Abu Revo Beast on the lower cost end or the Shimano Tranx on the higher end. One other thing – If you are Right handed and new to a baitcasting reel get one that you reel with you Left hand. Will be marked as LH or will usually have a model # ending in 01. Far to may people get lead to a reel with the handle on the right side. Believe me, You will want to keep that rod in your left hand at all times and not have to cast and switch hands to reel.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

If I had to pick a low profile it’s gonna be a Curado 300 or a Tranx 300-400 reel.

I’m still using my old round Cardiff 400A.

Jim in Wisconsin

I’ve been using Garcia 5000 series for almost 50 years.

Never

had one go bad. They work fine for me.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Unlike a lot of Big Pike and Muskie fishermen I prefer a low profile reel over a Round style one. I have rather small hands and the low profile style just is more comfortable for me. Depending on your budget I’d look at a Abu Revo Beast on the lower cost end or the Shimano Tranx on the higher end. One other thing – If you are Right handed and new to a baitcasting reel get one that you reel with you Left hand. Will be marked as LH or will usually have a model # ending in 01. Far to may people get lead to a reel with the handle on the right side. Believe me, You will want to keep that rod in your left hand at all times and not have to cast and switch hands to reel.

I agree with a lot of what is said. Some depends on budget too.

Started 20 years ago on Abu Ambassadeur 6500 series and still going great. Couple years ago added a Tranx 400, love it! If I had the money I would do the Tranx out of the gate. Will pull any lure you’re throwing for pike. Had a Curado and got rid of it.

Left vs right hand. Fishthumper is correct but there can be more to the story. I run both my Ambassadeurs as LH. I’m rather ambidextrous but there was still a learning curve. One thing I’ve noticed getting older is some issues with everything being left handed, spinning + baitcasting. I got the Tranx in a right hand retrieve. My body is appreciating the change up during the day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.