What is the best 9.9 mercury to buy?

• Richard Coppess

Hey guys I am about to buy a lowe 1648 aura Jon boat. I am going to get a 9.9 mercury motor for it. It can hold up to a 35 hp maximum which I thought about getting a 25 hp mercury but I have lakes around me that are 9.9 hp motors or under and I’m not worried about speed. I am new to boats but I have banked fished all my life. This will be my first starter boat. Do you guys have any advice on the best 9.9 hp mercury (which model) to buy? Can you use a bigger fuel tank for it than the one that comes with it? What would be a good bank charger to get to go with it to power fish finder battery or trolling motor battery upfront or a cranking battery? Can I use my trolling motor battery as a cranking battery too?? Any advice and suggestions will be helpful. Thanks guys.

Tom Albrecht
    Eau Claire

I just bought the pro kicker. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it’s a cold starter.

cheers

the best merc is the one that says suzuki on the side

iowa_josh

It is that much better than tohatsu?

tim hurley

‘one word for you kid: ‘fuel-injection'( ok thats 2 words)
    Good luck

Ross Gunderson

You may want to consider the Suzuki 9.9 high thrust EFI. Thing is amazing.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Do you guys have any advice on the best 9.9 hp mercury (which model) to buy? Can you use a bigger fuel tank for it than the one that comes with it? What would be a good bank charger to get to go with it to power fish finder battery or trolling motor battery upfront or a cranking battery? Can I use my trolling motor battery as a cranking battery too?? Any advice and suggestions will be helpful. Thanks guys.

I’m assuming you’re looking for used?

IMO the best affordable small used 2 stroke outboards were the last generation of 2 strokes made by OMC (Johnson/Evinrude) or the last 2 stroke Mercs with the shift selector on the twist grip. Both were made from the late 1980s to the late 1990s. Both have all solid state ignition so no points.

In a 9.9 (OMC) or 9.8 (Merc), both of these outboards were very, very good. Parts are easy to find and will be for decades. If you run good fuel and good oil, these machines will easily outlive you and will still be running after you’re gone. I had a 25 OMC from 1984 that had thousands of hours on it and my current 25 Merc from 1997 has untold hours on it and runs perfectly.

A 10 HP of either make will be difficult to find with electric start. They are out there, but you will have to search long and hard and then pay the price. I sold a 15 HP Johnson with electric start last year, my phone was on fire for days, demand is huge for these.

Personally, I love the ease of use with the Merc shifting on the grip, but they are more complex engines and harder to work on. The OMCs are stone simple and because of that they are very very reliable and easy to work on if needed.

Yes, you can run with 1 battery. These engines take almost no power to start.

Yes, you can run any size fuel tank you want, but man you’d have to be running a long, long way to use 6 gallons in a 10 HP. On long runs I just carried an extra tank and switch over the hose.

Grouse

Richard Coppess

Ok thank you guys for all your input and advice. I really appreciate it. I think I am going to go with a Yamaha F25 instead. My state (Ohio) just changed the law this year that you can now have big motors on 9.9 hp lakes but no wake. There are only two 9.9 hp lakes really close to me so I will probably go with the 25 hp. What are your guys opinions on a Yamaha F25. It looks like it has really good reviews, lighter, EFI so no carb orator. I guess it idles kinda hard though. I can’t find a good price though. People are saying $3500 to $4000 but a dealer closest to me gave me a quote of $5800 which seems pretty high. Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate the advice. Thanks.

Richard Coppess

And why is the suzuki efi battery less? Does that mean the Yamaha F25 which is EFI is also battery less?

Ripjiggen

You will love the motor. But may not love the price so much if you were looking at 9.9’s before.

iowa_josh

They just came out with the battery less version, I think.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.