What is Life worth?

• Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I know its a deep subject but its one we’ve all been discussing for the past week in one way or another.

The cost of the virus to the economy is expected to exceed 1 trillion dollars… and so far 8,700 have died world wide. I understand the death toll will and could be a lot more. There’s no debate there. In fact I’m not debating anything, we’re all in this together. I just ran across this podcast that I thought many would really enjoy.

The link below is a podcast from MPR. It’s very thought provoking and asks questions we are all facing right now. If you have the time stream or download the podcast. Let me know what you think. It kind of blew my mind.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/podcasts/radiolab/episodes/worth

Deuces

Not gonna get to it tonight but if it’s from radiolab, I already like it.

Thanks for mentioning it

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

I don’t believe our current situation is all about life and death. If hospitals are filled with covid patients and you have a stroke, good chance you won’t get help and will be left to whatever may happen. We cannot have tens of thousands sick and needing hospitalization at the same time. This virus is only 4 months old. We know very little about it. No known treatments. And its not just killing older folks. The sooner we flatten the curve, the sooner life can get back on track. Doctors are getting sick. Air traffic controllers are getting sick. Permanent lung damage is being reported in people who have recovered. This virus is highly contagious with a long incubation period before showing signs of illness.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Everyone should listen to more Radiolab.

B-man

I don’t believe our current situation is all about life and death. If hospitals are filled with covid patients and you have a stroke, good chance you won’t get help and will be left to whatever may happen. We cannot have tens of thousands sick and needing hospitalization at the same time. This virus is only 4 months old. We know very little about it. No known treatments. And its not just killing older folks. The sooner we flatten the curve, the sooner life can get back on track. Doctors are getting sick. Air traffic controllers are getting sick. Permanent lung damage is being reported in people who have recovered. This virus is highly contagious with a long incubation period before showing signs of illness.

This virus is 4 months old.

How could we possibly know the lung damage is permanent?? Seems a bit premature, no??

Smokers lungs heal, even up to 100% over time.

Does a virus cause irreversible permanent damage?

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

sorry, I can’t cite the article and the quote from the doctor. Info is coming fast and I don’t bookmark every one. My bad.

Deleted

I’d put a $1 value on a human life.

I’m not looking to buy any tho & I have none to sell.

50 cents per human, if the brain is already fried from watching 24/7/365 news.

B-man

I’ll give you the $7,800 if I can have the other $7,500,000,000.00 (these are real equivalent numbers)

You could buy a newish 2006 Toyota Corolla with that kind of coin.

I’ll buy North America with my money. There’s a fire sale happening soon.

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>

I’ll give you $7,800 if I can have the other $7,500,000,000.00

You could buy a newish 2006 Toyota Corolla with that kind of money.

I’ll buy North America with my money. There a fire sale happening soon

and China is gonna come asking for their money
    https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/080615/china-owns-us-debt-how-much.asp

B-man

Sold

Food for thought:

We’ve lost 1 person to Covid-19 for every million people on Earth.

If you died today from the virus, you’re literally one in a million. In a few weeks you could be a three in a million. Not as catchy, but still a rarity.

Since the Coronavirus started, FOUR AND A HALF MILLION people have died from other causes.

3,800 deaths (mainly 78-90 year olds who have lived a full life) isn’t exactly staggering or worth a global economic collapse when considering the other 4,500,000 people who died from other causes is it?

In 1918 H1N1 killed an estimated 27% of the population.

In today’s numbers, it would be equivalent to TWO BILLION PEOPLE. (2,000,000,000)

I’d be happy to make it to 80 too, virus or not.

Deleted

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/080615/china-owns-us-debt-how-much.asp
    [/quote]

I am predicting China will be getting a new “Dear” Leader soon. Also putting my money on this being a Chinese bio weapon. They didn’t like it when uncle Donald put them on notice that the pillaging of our country was ending. This will not break the USA, will definitely make us realize that the benefit of cheap Chinese labor isn’t worth the lack of national security we are now experiencing.

Ryan Wilson

Maybe if people stopped acting like the world was ending reality wouldn’t coincide with fantasy. Ever hear of self-fulfilling prophecies? We’re living one right now…

Mass induced hysteria fed by armchair doctors and Google graduates. Per capita counts here people. People going apeshit is the result of people doing what people do best…… go apeshit. Who gave the green light for everyone to go absolutely bananas? WE did. Our neighbors did. Our coworkers did. Our classmates did. Our parents did. Our children did. Someone seen someone else doing it so they did it so the next 100 people did it too and like dominoes the stack began to fall.

My wife works in a nursing home and she literally just texted me because she cleared her throat and the floor nurse wanted to send her home because she was “showing symptoms”. Symptoms of what, breathing????? Come the hell on people.

Prevention doesn’t equal panic and panic doesn’t equal prevention. I’ll start worrying when numbers ACTUALLY soar. Even 10,000 new cases every day for a year would still only be 1% of our countries population. ONE PERCENT!!!

THINK FOR YOURSELVES! USE LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE! STOP TRYING TO CATCH THE SKY!

Ryan Wilson

I am predicting China will be getting a new “Dear” Leader soon. Also putting my money on this being a Chinese bio weapon. They didn’t like it when uncle Donald put them on notice that the pillaging of our country was ending. This will not break the USA, will definitely make us realize that the benefit of cheap Chinese labor isn’t worth the lack of national security we are now experiencing.
    [/quote]

Your comment should make everyone realize the importance of funding educational programs. Ignorant conspiracy theories aren’t going to solve a damn thing.

Deleted

[/quote]

Your comment should make everyone realize the importance of funding educational programs. Ignorant conspiracy theories aren’t going to solve a damn thing.
    [/quote]

…..it’s no conspiracy theory. Simple math. Something teachers could spend some more time on.

Yup, I ate this one.

Attachments:
    1. 705992CF-61E6-42E1-AE18-D1ACFA069737.png

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

influenza virus and corona virus are different
    H1N1 killed 18,000 in 2009 opposed to 1918 H1N1 that killed upwards of 50 millinon.

wonder what covid 19 numbers would be in 1918?

B-man

influenza virus and corona virus are different

wonder what covid 19 numbers would be in 1918?

What number comes after zero?? Or what number comes after “all of them”?

There was a miniscule amount of transcontinental travel then to slow it, but also a limited amount of less advanced healthcare.

There are 102,465 flights a day in 2020…… circling the globe like angry hornets every minute of every day.

There are too many people on this planet, and we can get to each other too fast.

An unknown virus can escape a jungle and be on every continent in 24 hours. Since the dawn of time this has never happened. But our “progress” has made it possible.

When a “real” pandemic hits there will be a major “correction” in the population.

Tic-tock- and good luck to us all

I’m an optimist, and I know it sounds pessimistic…. but it’s our reality

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.