Wet compartment fs

• TIm Gus

I have a 2016 621, my drivers side rear compartment gets very wet inside. Took it too dealer and they did not do anything. The latch and seal are good. Wouldn’t matter so much but there is carpet in this one.
    Any ideas.

munchy
    NULL

Post a pic with the lid open showing the opening and the bottom side of the lid. I’ve seen some lids that have too much carpeting on them which allows water to wick up and over the lip of the compartment.

TIm Gus

Are you able to tell from this?

Attachments:
    1. 5550D960-965C-4B9E-ABFF-6D4C45968061.jpeg

munchy
    NULL

Yeah that looks good. Can you tell at all where the water may be coming from? Is just the bottom wet or does it seem to be coming in from the top and running down?

TIm Gus

Yes, it seems that it is the floor and the rear of the compartment.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

I have an ’07 619 so I know the layout you’re looking at. The seal on top looks good, you can see on the lid where it is making contact.

My suspicion is that the water ingress is coming from one of three spots:

1. The latch on the lid. You can check this by putting a piece of paper in the compartment directly below the latch, close the lid, then douse the latch with water from above. Let it sit for 15 minutes and open the lid. If there is a lot of moisture in the compartment, I doubt this is the issue.

2. The water is coming in (or backing up) in the bilge and getting into the compartment from the rear. I don’t know if this compartment is open to the bilge; in other words, under the carpet at the rear of the compartment is there a drain hole? You wouldn’t know this unless the carpet is removed or you give Ranger a call and ask them. I’ve had very good luck when I’ve called them getting good detail and help. What could be happening is that the bilge gets water in it which is fine when just sitting in the water or when taking off and running. However, when coming off plane the water *could* be coming forward and working its way into any opening. If no drain in the compartment, it could be coming in via a crack/defect in the compartment.

3. The water is pooling at the back outside edge of the compartment and wicking up and into the compartment.

Unfortunately, there isn’t an easy way to “view” the area to see what is going on. I’d call Ranger and ask them specifically if the compartment is open or sealed to the bilge. If open, where? If sealed, then this is a warranty issue (in my opinion). You said the dealer checked the latch and lid seal, so those should be good.

Is this happening only when on the water? Is it on a lift? On a trailer? Covered or not? Kept inside or outside?

Sorry – wish it was an easier answer.

Scott

TIm Gus

The boat is in the water. It is open to the elements. I will call Ranger and ask them about it. My fuse was blown on the auto bilge pump so I thought that was the reason. Now that’s working and I do run the manual frequently anyway.
    I will do more investigating but it a frustrating thing.

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Absolutely frustrating! Good luck –

Scott

fishtoeat
    Chippewa Falls, Wi

You can also pull the access cover for the bilge pumps and you should be able to see pvc drain tubes coming from the compartments, might need to use a mirror as they could be cut short and are right under the floor of the boat. Then use a compressor and blow from those openings to find which compartment it serves.

TIm Gus

What would happen if I plugged the drain hole in the compartment?

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Don’t mean to go a different direction, but the “blown fuse on the auto bilge” threw up a red flag for me in another area… I’ll start another thread…

Mark

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.