Wet aging deer loin?

• yellowriver

Read a online blog about wet aging deer lion in fridge in vac seal bag for 21 days. Anybody try this?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Why would a person for any reason do any thing ever with the loin?

riverruns
    Inactive

Yep. We don’t save ours either. Yuck!! devil

Iowaboy1

we dont save ours either,instead,we cut them into three quarter inch thick slices.
    place them into a zip lock bag and cover with zesty Italian salad dressing.
    push the air out of the bag and seal.
    place that bag into a vacuum seal bag and seal as you would any other vacuum sealed food.

place in fridge for up to a month,remove the marinated meat from the bags,grill on hickory wood fire or grill on your favorite charcoal.
    dont try it,aint no good at all,yucky,do yourself a favor and send me all of your deer loins so I can save you from them.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Deer loin and the heart was ALWAYS the first meal out of a deer carcass. Most guys I know that processed their own deer, the loin was grilled up while the deer was being butchered and packaged.

robby
    Quad Cities

I gotta side with nhamm here. Perfect cut right out of the dèer.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I’ve found people have different definitions for cuts of deer. Tenderloin, from the inside cut and loin being the outer. Ive also heard the inside or tenderloin called backstraps.
    This may be one of those situations where it’s a verbiage thing?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Aging meat requires a controlled temperature and not a lot of kitchen refers can offer this. Also, moisture is a big issue with meat to start with and home butchering can be a haven for bacteria…. which love moisture. I’d be wary of any meat cured in this fashion. Loin is so tender I can’t imagine why anyone would want to keep it for that long and Chavez losing it to spoilage.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Aging meat requires a controlled temperature and not a lot of kitchen refers can offer this. Also, moisture is a big issue with meat to start with and home butchering can be a haven for bacteria…. which love moisture. I’d be wary of any meat cured in this fashion. Loin is so tender I can’t imagine why anyone would want to keep it for that long and chance losing it to spoilage.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I once saw some guys using multiple back straps in their sausage meat. I was dumbfounded. I quit going there.

yellowriver

As long as there getting eaten I think people can use them how ever they want. Thin slice one cross ways and make jerky on the Traeger grill. Best ever!

404 ERROR
    MN

Never done it with deer but I have a 40 day aged steak from my brother I will be making on Friday! Great way to make a good chunk of food better. But I honestly see no point in aging deer loin, it’s excellent as it is.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

I like to cut mine about the width of a strip of bacon on the bias, wrap with a strip and then I package a pair of them. That way I get to enjoy them over the course of the year as I force myself to ration them. Grilled rare with a good crispy baked potato! Never felt the need for any extra aging.

yellowriver

Bought whole New York strip roast yesterday. $5 per #. Got 22 steaks. Last 2 got sealed and put in fridge. Going to age 14-21 days. Since I have no fresh deer loin to try.

MNdrifter

If we’re talking tenderloin. Seasoned and on the grill fresh, by far the best. Kids went crazy last night over them!

Attachments:
    1. E7209AFD-A05D-44A9-A3C3-8EE4D03CDE2B.jpeg

ajw

Try it with a chunk. You have nothing to lose other than a piece of meat. I love experimenting with wild game

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Bought whole New York strip roast yesterday. $5 per #. Got 22 steaks. Last 2 got sealed and put in fridge. Going to age 14-21 days. Since I have no fresh deer loin to try.

@yellowriver

Sorry to hijack. There’s a way to dry age in the fridge too. I’ve been meaning to try these with a NY Strip roast.

https://www.drybagsteak.com

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Butter onions and chunked up loin. Followed by some beer veny brats from last year and that means our season is over and my house shot out 5 deer.

Attachments:
    1. 20181104_174925.jpg

2. 20181104_174647.jpg

yellowriver

Update on deer loin. Deer shot Jan 6 and butcherd on the 7. Cut 4 pieces of loin (from outside of rib cage along backbone) about 1 inch thick. Vac sealed and placed in fridge until tonite.(22 days) Rinsed with cold water salt and pepperd and fried in cast iron skillet with butter. Little more taste but not gamey and was very tender. Almost to tender to be steak. To each there own on how or what they cook.

eyeguy54

interesting. I like to cut my backstraps about 3/4 inch thick. When I fry a few in butter the burner is on 3/4 and I do about 1/2 minutes per side. Always pink and tender. Same if on grill, hot and fast. Tenderloins I slice and eat the same way. Usually not as tender but mmmmm good. I like my venny to taste like venny. )

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.