webster area ice fishing 12/26-12/28

• brad-o
    Mankato

The weather forecast finally looks to make ice. I am planing to fish some small slough and lakes. If you are out there these dates shoot me a pm and we can share info.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Good luck! Not sure when I am going to make the first trip yet, I will let you know.

schoff
    S.E., SD

I will be trying some in that area on Dec 18-20th, mother nature willing, I will post what I find for ice conditions.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Be safe! Hope at least the little stuff is locked up and solid for you.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

I plan to be there the 27th through the 31st provided there’s decent ice conditions. It’s got me worried right now.

schoff
    S.E., SD

Found some good ice and some not so good ice. Bigger lakes in the bays are ok and most of the small sloughs were decent. 4-5″ was pretty common where we went. I would caution going out on the big water unless you are in a bay as of right now.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

How was the fishing? Might be headed out there this weekend. PM if you prefer.

brad-o
    Mankato

Found some good ice and some not so good ice. Bigger lakes in the bays are ok and most of the small sloughs were decent. 4-5″ was pretty common where we went. I would caution going out on the big water unless you are in a bay as of right now.

Thanks for the report. I think this week looks to put some more ice on the lakes. I plan on fishing the sloughs. The only larger lakes that interest me are Reid and Reetz

schoff
    S.E., SD

We did not get near those lakes to check them but with the spring in Reetz I would be cautious checking that one. Fishing was good not on fire but steady if you kept on the move.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I’m thinking of running up to Dry #2 by Willow Lake, going to be just an afternoon and early evening type of trip, first week of January I’ll have some more time, try some stuff up closer to Webster. I’m one of the fortunate guys to be grandfathered into the Mobridge Chamber Ice tourney (as long as we don’t give up our spot), as there most likely won’t be any safe ice on Oahe, is anyone aware of some small lakes near by which may offer some shot at getting onto a sheet of ice? There as only been one other year in the last 7-8 which there has not been safe ice near Mobridge, that other year we ran north pretty close to the ND border and found a bay with good ice. Thanks, Pete

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

I’ll be headingoing up new years’weekend. Havery had two other weekends planned, and canceled because of the lack of ice

wetsleeves
    Iowa

we’ll be up New years as well. 31st – 3 Cant wait!

Staying in Watertown.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Good luck everyone! Looking like late January before I will be able to make it out.

Hungee

How good is the local dnr (Webster area) at plowing out the public accesses at the lakes like Bitter or Enemy Swim? Hoping to pull a 14′ ice castle out on the 30th barring the forecast doesn’t warm up.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

They don’t… but someone usually plows out some of the more used accesses. On the bigger lakes its not too hard to get on usually. Once you’re on it can be a different story. They don’t have much snow yet so its not a problem.

Not sure they will have enough ice for a permie by the 30th…. it will be close. Forecast is pretty good but there is only 5-7 inches from what I’ve heard. Sportsmans Cove said there was still open water in places as of Friday the 18th… that would make me pretty nervous if there is that much inconsistency. QB or Andy Fiolka on here should be able to give you an updated ice report before you leave.

schoff
    S.E., SD

From what I saw for ice up there this past weekend and looking at the upcoming forecast I would be extremely cautious about a permie by the 30th. I am completely hoping I am wrong and pray there is plenty of ice, but I definitely would not hold my breath for that much ice by then.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

How good is the local dnr (Webster area) at plowing out the public accesses at the lakes like Bitter or Enemy Swim? Hoping to pull a 14′ ice castle out on the 30th barring the forecast doesn’t warm up.

Definitely pushing the envelope and taking a big risk yet on bringing your permie out there yet

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Was that January 30th, no way would I do that on 12-30

Hungee

Yeah 12/30…i knew it was gonna be close and was hoping they would be inline with Upper Red but looks like ill have to go there as they are pulling out perms now with it only getting colder the next 8 days…thanks for the info…maybe i can go there by second week of Jan. hopefully!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

So how are the ice conditions shaping up? And is anyone finding the perch? Anyone been out on bitter with the slot change?

brad-o
    Mankato

Ice was good everywhere I drilled. Reid lake had 9-11 inches there was a permanent house in the boat landing bay. I stuck out at Reid. One slough north of Roslyn I did well two days caught perch in the 10-13 inch range. Could not get over how many small perch were in the slough. Every hole I drilled shimp and bugs would come puring out thought the perch should have grown huge on that diet.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Glad to hear you caught some! Thanks for the update.

Mike Johnson
    Nashua Iowa

Did ok on Waubay about a mile and a half south out of buckshot. 21 to 27 ft of water. Lots of people 10 to 13″ perch and a ton of 12″ to 16″ eyes. Just keep drilling holes till you find them and keep them busy or they are gone. Had 7 to 8″ of ice with basically no snow as of Dec 30th I’m sure there is more now. Will be back on January 16th.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

I’ll be out the 14th-18th of January
    Shoot me a pm if anybody wants to share Intel or text me @ 641-583-1229

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.