Ways to catch pike through the ice?

Hey everyone,

How do you catch pike though the ice? I have only caught one pike through the ice and it was about 15 inches. I caught it on a small jig tipped with two wax worms. I made my own DIY tip up, so I am going to definitely try it next time on the ice with a hook and minnow. Do you know any other ways to target pike through the ice? Thx.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

If you are specifically targeting pike with a Jig rod I would suggest 3-5″ white and chartreuse tubes with 1/4 oz tube jigs, bigger spoons, slab raps, and under spins with paddle tails. Another aspect is location. I have always had the best luck with pike over top of weeds near deeper water. Think weeds in 10 FOW near a deeper pool of 20 FOW. Lastly this isn’t a finesse presentation IMO. Rip and move the baits around you are not so much trying to convince them to eat as hang on for the strike.

andys
    kasson

Tip up,cheap hotdog on a quick strike rig. The cheaper the better

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Perch colored Rattle Trap (or equivalent) is my go-to for Northern thru the ice. When they hit it, they smoke it, so hang on.

Ok. I will definitely try a hot dog for some pike. I have only used hot dog when I fish for Catfish.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When they hit it, they smoke it, so hang on.

I think every single pike I have ever caught smokes it (whatever lure that may be). They are not delicate biters.

Paul D
    Roseville

When they hit it, they smoke it, so hang on.

I love it when the flag goes up and the shaft of the tip up is pushed all the way against the side of the hole. THAT is a hard hit!

LabDaddy1

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the most common method. Use a tip up with a quick strike rig and a medium to large sucker minnow. Other minnow species will work too if need be.

tim hurley

Sure agree with French but they may not always want the rip. IMO

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Once in a while I do like to rip a Giant Chubby Darter…

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i prefer a big hole, a decoy and a spear. probably odd man out but the op, asked how to get pike through the ice.

otherwise a tip up and a sucker bout 1/2 way down!!!!!!!!!

gary d
    cordova,il

I remember back in the 60’s my Dad would use big chub’s and he would cut the back tail fin off so the chub had to struggle to move. It work for him.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.