Waubay/Bitter Travel

• chomps
    Sioux City IA

Have a feeling that there’s not much as far as traveling across the ice going on unless one has sleds or tracks. We have a large group headed up in two weeks and only have 2 sleds. Just wondering if anyone has any updates as to how hard it is getting around in trucks? Thanks in advance

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

You are correct….travel up there is tough. There are some guys that rent out shacks that are plowing a few roads to get to their shacks. If you’re taking a truck, take scoop shovels, a good tow rope and plan on using them.

Between Aberdeen and Watertown there’s been 36″ of snowfall this year.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

We are staying up on the North side of Waubay, I know that there’s a start of a trail system, assuming that it goes out to some rentals, would you happen to know who has those rentals? Be nice to pay someone to make a fresh loop if possible.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Think there will be enough melt to get the lakes back up at all? Or does it take a couple years of heavy snow?

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I don’t think that this current winter will do anything, it would be historic amounts of snow, plus a wet spring to make a dent. Seemed that last Fall the levels on the shallower sloughs were down a foot since the prior year.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

the shack rental guides are JR Anderson, Joey Craft and Shane Guy

Most the lakes up there are down anywhere from 3-5 feet. This snow doesn’t have a lot of moisture to it…but better than nothing

Spicoli
    SESD

4 wheelers can get around as long as you dont hit a drift and get high centered, but there are a lot of drifts. Joey Craft and Shane Guy are plowing loops for permies, if you give them a call I would bet they would plow you a path somewhere close to the the current one for some cash.

I just fished there last weekend by the SE ramp, it was so cold and blowing that we hardly moved from the shack with the sleds. When you go, if is a better day you can get around with the sleds and close by with the wheelers. Fishing was tough tho, a few small 8-13″ eyes and a 26″ pike is all we caught. PM me if you want more details.

tornadochaser

4 wheelers can get around as long as you dont hit a drift and get high centered, but there are a lot of drifts. Joey Craft and Shane Guy are plowing loops for permies, if you give them a call I would bet they would plow you a path somewhere close to the the current one for some cash.

I believe they are limiting their plowing to only on Bitter Lake.

I wish that northeastern SD would have gotten the rain this summer and fall that we got in south east SD. Would have guaranteed more run-off into the lakes this spring. As it sits, the lakes and sloughs will rise a little, but the ground is pretty dry up there. A fast melt will help. Need rain this spring though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.