Goose Hunting Laws

• flick
    Alma WI

I was just wondering what everyone thought about the law that you can’t retrieve your goose until your slit your tag….I think you should have like 5-10mins after its harvested to slit your tag…cause there is no stopping my dog from running down a wounded goose….or guys that dont have dogs an have to walk out in the water an ground swat it..I heard a guy got nabbed last weekend cause his dog retrieved his goose before he slit his tag…

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

hah are you saying that you break the law???? it is a dumb rule that should be thrown out, but if you look in the book it says that you shall make every effort to get a wounded game and you could interpret that many ways Mr. Fluekiger

jeffsedlmayr
    Wisconsin

hah are you saying that you break the law???? it is a dumb rule that should be thrown out, but if you look in the book it says that you shall make every effort to get a wounded game and you could interpret that many ways Mr. Fluekiger

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

In Wisconsin you don’t have to slit your tag before your dog retrieves a goose. The regulation reads “When a Canada goose is killed and before it is carried by hand or transprted in any manner by any person, the hunter who killed the goose must validate their Canada goose hunting permit. Validation is accomplished by slitting or punching out the mark indicating the date of kill. Failure to follow the validation procedure makes the possession of the goose illegal and can result in enforcement action.”
    I don’t know how that guy got nabbed but it wasn’t from his dog retreiving the goose. If a person is hunting without a dog then he must validate his permit before retreiving the goose to remain legal.
    Hope this helps.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

In Wisconsin you don’t have to slit your tag before your dog retrieves a goose. The regulation reads “When a Canada goose is killed and before it is carried by hand or transprted in any manner by any person, the hunter who killed the goose must validate their Canada goose hunting permit. Validation is accomplished by slitting or punching out the mark indicating the date of kill. Failure to follow the validation procedure makes the possession of the goose illegal and can result in enforcement action.”
    I don’t know how that guy got nabbed but it wasn’t from his dog retreiving the goose. If a person is hunting without a dog then he must validate his permit before retreiving the goose to remain legal.
    Hope this helps.

Gator Hunter

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

If that is true, what an asine law. So, your are supposed to let a cripple possibly get away while you slit your tag? I think once the bird is in hand, you should then immediately slit your tag. Or once you get back in the blind, not that you have to try and to it in chest deep water if you happen to be in the water.

I am surprised a warden would issue a violation for that. Now, if the guy got the goose back to the blind, then sat there for a while, I could maybe see it.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

If that is true, what an asine law. So, your are supposed to let a cripple possibly get away while you slit your tag? I think once the bird is in hand, you should then immediately slit your tag. Or once you get back in the blind, not that you have to try and to it in chest deep water if you happen to be in the water.

I am surprised a warden would issue a violation for that. Now, if the guy got the goose back to the blind, then sat there for a while, I could maybe see it.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

“Gator Hunter”
    So what you are saying is your dog can go get the goose, bring it back, and you can go back to hunting without validating your license as long as you do it before you transport the goose from the swamp??? What I heard was a goose was shot, the dog went out, brought the goose back, a warden then drove up, told the hunter he saw him shoot the goose and watched his dog bring it back. The warden then asked to see his goose permit and he was issued a ticket because it was not validated. I think this is a stupid law, and admit to breaking it when a goose hits the water swimming. But, as soon as I make the kill, my license comes out along with my Cell Phone and both are taken care of right there and then.

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

“Gator Hunter”
    So what you are saying is your dog can go get the goose, bring it back, and you can go back to hunting without validating your license as long as you do it before you transport the goose from the swamp??? What I heard was a goose was shot, the dog went out, brought the goose back, a warden then drove up, told the hunter he saw him shoot the goose and watched his dog bring it back. The warden then asked to see his goose permit and he was issued a ticket because it was not validated. I think this is a stupid law, and admit to breaking it when a goose hits the water swimming. But, as soon as I make the kill, my license comes out along with my Cell Phone and both are taken care of right there and then.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

My quote was taken right out of the Wisconsin Waterfowl hunting manual. It does not say your dog cannnot retrieve the goose until the permit is tagged. Having an untagged goose in your blind while hunting is just foolish and would probably get you a ticket though.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

My quote was taken right out of the Wisconsin Waterfowl hunting manual. It does not say your dog cannnot retrieve the goose until the permit is tagged. Having an untagged goose in your blind while hunting is just foolish and would probably get you a ticket though.

Gator Hunter

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I know Gator Hunter, I just know that every time I shoot a goose, and if it’s dead, I slit my tag while the dog is doing his job. With the law printed the way it is I saw no real room for different interpritations. Thanks Much!

blackduck
    SE Minnesota

I know Gator Hunter, I just know that every time I shoot a goose, and if it’s dead, I slit my tag while the dog is doing his job. With the law printed the way it is I saw no real room for different interpritations. Thanks Much!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.