Layout boat conversion??

• KirtH
    Lakeville

Tried it on a Mr Pike 17 with f 115, waste of money, better prop and engine height is the best

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

a little better hole shot and a little more speed

Generally speaking, you will get one or the other. the further the engine is set back, you will get a better hole shot, but will run slower on top end. Engine placement is a science to get peak performance. Now adding a hydrolic jackplate that will allow up/down movement on the fly may help in picking up a few mph’s. For I’m geussing less money, you can get a SS prop customized specificly to the specs of your boat & gear. Do a search on SS props. some good info on here for props and who to contact!

VSRangerMan
    Chippewa Falls,WI

Who you tryin to catch with that tin tub Kevin? JK Should start by raising motor first to find optimum or high end RPM’s then play with bigger other prop I thought you had.Might squeeze 3-4 mph without spending the kind of money they want for a hydraulic plate trying to get best of both worlds.Thinking a couple guys might find some free time early this winter to tinker if you dont store that rig too far away. Just finding the closest open water to test is another story if you wait too long. Can almost smell a couple trips to P4,P5& The Bay coming soon. Have we got started yet?

whittsend

I have a 13′ Herter’s Duck and Goose Skiff. I’m trying to brainstorm ideas for converting it for potential duty as a layout boat, not just a skiff…. But I want to be able to switch back and forth easily.

I would need to create some sort of top for the boat that would be easily fasten-able/removable. It would have to be lightweight, but also secure when attached. A sort of top shell that would extend from the sides of the boat to the middle, leaving “pop up room” for a hunter in the middle. Probably would act as a spray shield as well…

Fiberglass possibly. Wood might be too heavy. Maybe some sort of semi-bendable plastic, or even a canvas/plastic type sort of removable top…

Any thoughts or ideas? I’m in the beginning stages of this delusion, I know it won’t happen this season… But it would be fun to think about and work on!!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/ideas.

whittsend

This isn’t a photo of my boat, but it looks to be the same model. FYI, if that helps at all.

Maybe a silly idea and I should just look for a used layout boat somewhere (or give up the idea of layout boat hunting), but it sounds like something fun to think about anyway.

super_do
    St Michael, MN

You might be able to get away with just painting the boat gray and trying that.

mudcatkid
    On water

Personally, if you are interested in hunting off-shore I’d probably advise against it. I’ve spent quite a few years layout hunting and wouldn’t think twice about sitting in anything other than a true, open water style layout. The only exception would be a large boat/blind in open water. True open water layouts are unbelievably stable and ride waves very well. They may not be comfortable, I know mine isn’t! But they are safe and sturdy. They are designed to roll with the waves and shed water that comes over the top. They rarely, if ever, tip side to side. Skiffs aren’t really designed to roll with waves and often tip side to side. Not a good combo when sitting 1/2 mile from land anchored all by yourself. Admittingly true layout boats are costly, but so is your life.

That being said, if you are hunting within wading distance from shore like in a small bay, it could be a good setup. Dont bother with turning it gray, adding booms or spray skirts. Just turn it into a low profile grass island and hide below the gunwales as if it were a field blind. Some birds will flare, but some wont! At least that way you aren’t committed to using the boat for a single purpose.

Unfortunately my response isn’t something you want to hear, but hopefully it helped.

whittsend

Mudcat –

Your response was great, good info and food for thought – thanks!

My post was mostly schemes and dreams, but its fun to throw out and think about all of the options..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.