snow goose hunting?

• muskybones

Haz anyone ever done this. I am going next weekend to ND for a four day hunt. How many shells do i need? is a 12 gage with 3 inch big enough? any tips to help me smack a few more? how far do i need to lead them. using Black cloud snow goose rounds.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

how do you plan on hunting them? spot and stalk (jump them) or decoy? I have always used a 12ga with 3″ and have been fine and shot plenty of sky carp! I am not familar with that particular load I used BB on them, but those should work too.

Are you planning on hunting ducks and/or dark geese too? That would determine how many to bring. I know when I hunt in ND (I usually have some left over) but I will bring a case of shells with, BB mostly and some #2.

Good luck it’s always a blast to hunt them

marsh_monster
    Metro

We always hunt snows in the spring so the amount of shells differ a bit. I would bring at least a box and a half per day. In the spring we go by 2 per day just to be safe. As far as guns and ammo, My 870 with 3inch BB does just fine. I knocked one down at 50yrds and stoned him…lucky shot but BB did the trick! For rounds we just use the cheap Federal snow rounds. They should land right on ya as far as leading goes just line up and kill…Thats assuming your field hunting and not jumping birds. GOOD LUCK AND KNOCK EM DEAD

jer_schreiner
    Alma WI

Looks like they pointed you in the right direction!Sounds like the a Blast to me!!! Good luck out there. Hey, will you take some pics? and post em when your out there, we all wanna see…….

muskybones

i am pretty sure its going to field hunting of some sort details are kinda sketchy to me but am pumped to go. And pictures you bet.

wade
    Cottage Grove, MN

Have fun and it’s always a blast, with the weather they are having in Canada and ND right now, I would say a major push of birds will be there for the shooting too!

I know if I had enough vacation time at work my butt would be up there next week at some point…

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Two buddies and I made the mistake one time of running out of shells, don’t make that mistake. It was an all out argument who would run back to the truck for more. I lost because I was the fastest. Shot our limit of dark geese that day with a few bonus ducks and snows, that night on the way home we shot 5 or 6 coons that pretty much paid for our day.

Good luck up there!!

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Next weekend will probably be to early for snow geese in North Dakota. There might be a scattered few, but not truly huntable numbers (in snow goose terms). The big numbers of snows are usually in ND from Nov. 1 thru Thanksgiving.

Snow geese usually work vertical (straight down)…no need to lead them, point and shoot in face!

3″ BB Black Cloud works well for snows and Canadas!

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

I agree with Jake on timing though the cold and snow they’ve gotten could get some numbers starting to climb. I always bring too many shells cause I hunt so many different ways and different birds…..Canada’s, snows and specs, ducks.

If you ever get a chance as poster above said to chase and jump do it. It is the best way to get numbers fast. And with the open access to unposted land there, it can be done.

Refuge line shooting is also popular out there. If you go, a BBB or T does wonders.

My best advice, don’t get stuck on one type of shooting. If the birds don’t decoy or you have no wind, refuge line shoot then go chase and jump. If you have wind and some clouds, decoying should be good.

I’ll be there the following weekend. but plan to focus on ducks and darks.

ET

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I just got back from a week in Manitoba hunting geese. I shoot only 3.5″ BB for geese which might be overkill for snows but I like them DOA I brought 12 boxes of shells and ran out There are a ton of snows and darks in southern Manitoba and even the snow and strong cold north winds did not move them last week. The more decoys the better for snows,we had 750 out every day and I would have liked more…until it was time to pick them up Good luck!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.