Well, how did it go on the WI opener???

• mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

How did others do this opener? I know our trip left something to be desired. Not many ducks, not much shooting (by us or others around us), and not much water. Ended up with 5 ducks and 4 geese for the weekend.
    I saved the best for last. My 1 1/2 old lab, Millie, had an outstanding debut in the duck blind. She had never had a bird in her mouth and still was phenomenal. She ended up retrieving 3 ducks (one still alive) and two huge geese, which was a chore for a 52 pound lab. Luckily they were both dead. I couldn’t have been more proud. She held in the blind when I called and shot and waited until sent to retrieve the downed birds.
    All in all, two fun, enjoyable days were spent in the blind and not matter what the results, I can’t wait until Friday when we go again.

mustbefishing(duckhunting)

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

We had our poorest opener in, well, forever. Saturday, got 12 birds, 9 woodies and 3 greenwings, but it was a struggle that took good dog work and good shooting. Didn’t shoot our guns until 12:45. There were a couple of groups near us that seemed to be where the woodies wanted to go and seemed to shoot alot, and we heard alot of shooting from out in the bigger, more open areas. A friend of mine hunted with a group of guys somewhere near Goose Island, and they got 27 birds Saturday, 24 teal and 3 woodies. So, I guess some birds were around.

Sunday we got skunked for the first time ever on opening weekend. Missed a greenwing right over the dekes, and 2 woodies that would ahve been nice shots, other than that, no other chances even. Again, could hear a couple of groups that seemed to have good luck, but alot of quiet ponds too. Talked to another group of 5 back at the truck who also got skunked for the morning. I know some guys had luck though, as there was shooting, but not like the usual opening stuff.

It was the fewest birds, and by far the lowest water, we had seen on opener. Hope others fared better.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

We had our poorest opener in, well, forever. Saturday, got 12 birds, 9 woodies and 3 greenwings, but it was a struggle that took good dog work and good shooting. Didn’t shoot our guns until 12:45. There were a couple of groups near us that seemed to be where the woodies wanted to go and seemed to shoot alot, and we heard alot of shooting from out in the bigger, more open areas. A friend of mine hunted with a group of guys somewhere near Goose Island, and they got 27 birds Saturday, 24 teal and 3 woodies. So, I guess some birds were around.

Sunday we got skunked for the first time ever on opening weekend. Missed a greenwing right over the dekes, and 2 woodies that would ahve been nice shots, other than that, no other chances even. Again, could hear a couple of groups that seemed to have good luck, but alot of quiet ponds too. Talked to another group of 5 back at the truck who also got skunked for the morning. I know some guys had luck though, as there was shooting, but not like the usual opening stuff.

It was the fewest birds, and by far the lowest water, we had seen on opener. Hope others fared better.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i planned on hunting saturday and sunday, but it was so urine pour on saturday morning that no one wanted to stick around. A LOT less ducks then last weekend. i was hoping for some new teal and/or woodies to move in, but apparently they just moved out. we never even saw a sinlge teal. we did see a few more mallards around, but nothing to get excited over. 4 of us ended up with only 2 woodies and we had to work for those.

with this warm weather planned for this week i can’t see it getting any better for next weekend. i think i’ll just go pheasant hunting and pray for some below freezing nights to get some of them GREENHEADS down here .

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i planned on hunting saturday and sunday, but it was so urine pour on saturday morning that no one wanted to stick around. A LOT less ducks then last weekend. i was hoping for some new teal and/or woodies to move in, but apparently they just moved out. we never even saw a sinlge teal. we did see a few more mallards around, but nothing to get excited over. 4 of us ended up with only 2 woodies and we had to work for those.

with this warm weather planned for this week i can’t see it getting any better for next weekend. i think i’ll just go pheasant hunting and pray for some below freezing nights to get some of them GREENHEADS down here .

mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

What is this warm weather going to do to the hunting this weekend???

mustbefishing
    Ladysmith, WI

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

it sure ain’t gonna help anything

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

it sure ain’t gonna help anything

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

You’ll see lots of guys in camo and waders fishing!

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

You’ll see lots of guys in camo and waders fishing!

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Damn..From the sounds of it you boyz from WI had a chitty opener!!

Are you guys hunting the river or State areas????

pitbull
    Too far from the river

Damn..From the sounds of it you boyz from WI had a chitty opener!!

Are you guys hunting the river or State areas????

champman
    la crosse

our party had a great opener, all limited in three hours- right spot I guess . Had to be a little more imaginitive than the next guy! Just like fishing, you must read the water before deciding on going to that “favorite spot”

champman
    la crosse

our party had a great opener, all limited in three hours- right spot I guess . Had to be a little more imaginitive than the next guy! Just like fishing, you must read the water before deciding on going to that “favorite spot”

flick
    Alma WI

Had a pretty good opener….18 ducks 4 guys…6 mallards,6 teal,3 woodies, 2 widgeon, 1 gad…should have done lots better on the mallards….Was gettin cut off a lot…..I’ve also been limiting out almost every day this week….LOTS of work able Mallards around…..I agree with champman..We only did this good cause I do alot of scouting before the season rolls around…..Its like tryin to fish a tournament and do good when you haven’t been on the water for 3 months….just my 2 cents

flick
    Alma WI

Had a pretty good opener….18 ducks 4 guys…6 mallards,6 teal,3 woodies, 2 widgeon, 1 gad…should have done lots better on the mallards….Was gettin cut off a lot…..I’ve also been limiting out almost every day this week….LOTS of work able Mallards around…..I agree with champman..We only did this good cause I do alot of scouting before the season rolls around…..Its like tryin to fish a tournament and do good when you haven’t been on the water for 3 months….just my 2 cents

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

We scouted and knew where the ducks were in our area, just couldn’t get to them with no boat. Oh well, different years, different circumstances, different areas, different results. And, the water back there dropped another couple of inches in the week before the opener, and the birds we did find quit using it somewhat. Then, we gambled on Sunday, abandoned our plan, and got burned, though we really didn’t leave anything hot and heavy anyway.

Everyday, no matter how few ducks are around, and how bad the weather is for hunting, SOMEONE is getting some if they are in the right place.

I would say, overall though, the birds were fewer, and more concentrated, than they have been the past few openers. Last year almost everyone we ran into and talked to had birds. This year, many more people with less. I think we saw maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the birds we saw last year in the air. We also saw almost as many pintails as mallards, which is wierd.

Flick, would you say overall there were as many birds around as past years where you were?

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

We scouted and knew where the ducks were in our area, just couldn’t get to them with no boat. Oh well, different years, different circumstances, different areas, different results. And, the water back there dropped another couple of inches in the week before the opener, and the birds we did find quit using it somewhat. Then, we gambled on Sunday, abandoned our plan, and got burned, though we really didn’t leave anything hot and heavy anyway.

Everyday, no matter how few ducks are around, and how bad the weather is for hunting, SOMEONE is getting some if they are in the right place.

I would say, overall though, the birds were fewer, and more concentrated, than they have been the past few openers. Last year almost everyone we ran into and talked to had birds. This year, many more people with less. I think we saw maybe 1/2 to 1/3 the birds we saw last year in the air. We also saw almost as many pintails as mallards, which is wierd.

Flick, would you say overall there were as many birds around as past years where you were?

flick
    Alma WI

Mossboos…Where I hunt I think there are lots more birds then other years….It’s just nuts after season….Hundreds of ducks pourin in! …Gotta Love it!

flick
    Alma WI

Mossboos…Where I hunt I think there are lots more birds then other years….It’s just nuts after season….Hundreds of ducks pourin in! …Gotta Love it!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.