North Dakota logistics, tactics, etc

• nubbinbuck

Just thought I would start a state-specific thread.

As I posted on another thread, I am headed up for a short hunt next weekend. I will be hunting 3 mornings. Right now my ammo consists of the following:
    4 boxes of 3″ #2’s
    2 boxes of 3″ BBs
    1 box of 3.5″ BBs
    1 box of 2.75″ #3
    Asst. 3″ #4

Should I be set, or do I need something else?
    Any tips or good stories to tell? My buddy shared a photo album last night of previous trips. All I have to say is unbelievable. He had a photo of a huge group of snows landing in a KS field which was quite interesting.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You should be set pretty well. I don’t know what you’ll see for snows this time of year, but it’s a sight to see in the spring.

kooty
    Keymaster

You should be set pretty well. I don’t know what you’ll see for snows this time of year, but it’s a sight to see in the spring.

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i’m officialy jealous, because i just found out i’m not going to be able to go this year .

for three days that should be plenty of shells, unless your a really bad shot like me .

as far as tactics go, there are many to choose from…

if all you want to do is shoot ducks, sneeking and jump shooting is probably the most effective. it shouldn’t be too hard getting a limit that way, especially the first weekend. i think this is how a lot of the locals hunt,but it’s not nearly as fun as decoying.

you’ll more then likely see a lot of huge flocks of ducks feeding in the feilds or on big lakes. an effective way to hunt these birds is to set up on a small pot hole nearby and birds will come in in small flocks for along time. these situations offer the best hunts . when you see a very large number of birds using a big lake it’s very tempting to set up on the edge of it and try to pull birds in. if your going with a experinced ND hunter , he’ll no NOT to do this. it’s a big waste of time. the birds may circle and give you a look, but they’ll ultimately land out to far from shore. it VERY frustrating trying to hunt these big waters . you have a much better chance setting up on a small pot hole nearby.

another effective tactic is feild hunting. pick a high spot in an area with a lot of ducks around and sit back and wait. this is probably your best chance at geese. don’t be suprised to get flocks of a couple hundred ducks circle you in the feild. it can be really fun, just make sure everyone is well camoflagued. it’s usually a good idea to leave the dogs in the truck while your doing this too.

i’m sure you’ll have a great time out there. there’s so many ducks to choose from, don’t be afriad to be picky on the ones you take. you should have enough opportunities at drakes that you can let the hens go .

good luck and let us no how you do

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i’m officialy jealous, because i just found out i’m not going to be able to go this year .

for three days that should be plenty of shells, unless your a really bad shot like me .

as far as tactics go, there are many to choose from…

if all you want to do is shoot ducks, sneeking and jump shooting is probably the most effective. it shouldn’t be too hard getting a limit that way, especially the first weekend. i think this is how a lot of the locals hunt,but it’s not nearly as fun as decoying.

you’ll more then likely see a lot of huge flocks of ducks feeding in the feilds or on big lakes. an effective way to hunt these birds is to set up on a small pot hole nearby and birds will come in in small flocks for along time. these situations offer the best hunts . when you see a very large number of birds using a big lake it’s very tempting to set up on the edge of it and try to pull birds in. if your going with a experinced ND hunter , he’ll no NOT to do this. it’s a big waste of time. the birds may circle and give you a look, but they’ll ultimately land out to far from shore. it VERY frustrating trying to hunt these big waters . you have a much better chance setting up on a small pot hole nearby.

another effective tactic is feild hunting. pick a high spot in an area with a lot of ducks around and sit back and wait. this is probably your best chance at geese. don’t be suprised to get flocks of a couple hundred ducks circle you in the feild. it can be really fun, just make sure everyone is well camoflagued. it’s usually a good idea to leave the dogs in the truck while your doing this too.

i’m sure you’ll have a great time out there. there’s so many ducks to choose from, don’t be afriad to be picky on the ones you take. you should have enough opportunities at drakes that you can let the hens go .

good luck and let us no how you do

nubbinbuck

What criteria do most of you use for mounting a duck? For instance, I shot a triple curl Mallard last fall, and I was told that would be a good one to mount. What about other species? I saw a pic of those cute little Buffleheads, and I know the guy I am going with gets a couple each year….

nubbinbuck

What criteria do most of you use for mounting a duck? For instance, I shot a triple curl Mallard last fall, and I was told that would be a good one to mount. What about other species? I saw a pic of those cute little Buffleheads, and I know the guy I am going with gets a couple each year….

kooty
    Keymaster

Mike,

It’s like anything else, the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Having said that though, try not to lose any feathers on the bird, if the wings are broken badly, usually not a good specimen. Try to freeze the bird with the wings around the body and the straight so all the feathers lay nicely. Slipping a bird into a woman’s panty hose works great. You look a little funny at walmart buying them though.

Good luck up there!!!

kooty
    Keymaster

Mike,

It’s like anything else, the trophy is in the eye of the beholder. Having said that though, try not to lose any feathers on the bird, if the wings are broken badly, usually not a good specimen. Try to freeze the bird with the wings around the body and the straight so all the feathers lay nicely. Slipping a bird into a woman’s panty hose works great. You look a little funny at walmart buying them though.

Good luck up there!!!

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

So far, I have mounted a Widgeon, a black duck, a woody, and a greenwing teal. What criteria do I use? Now that is a tough one.

Shot a few 4 curl Mallrds the last couple of years, but they weren’t really big, so I skipped them. Mallards are the hardest for me to decide on. I want a HUGE one, you know one of those with a head the size of a tennis ball. I also want it FULLY in winter plumage. And, have a few nice tail curls.

The black and the drake greenwing I mounted because for me they are rare oppurtunities to shoot. I just like Widgeon, so I mounted one. Wood Ducks are the prettiest birds I think, though that is my worst mount.

I also like to mount them from a memorable hunt. I can clearly remember the day all 4 of the birds I have mounted came from.

If you get one you like with great plumage I say go for it!! Particualrly if it is something tough to get around here. I would love to go out and shoot a big Sprig Pintail.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

So far, I have mounted a Widgeon, a black duck, a woody, and a greenwing teal. What criteria do I use? Now that is a tough one.

Shot a few 4 curl Mallrds the last couple of years, but they weren’t really big, so I skipped them. Mallards are the hardest for me to decide on. I want a HUGE one, you know one of those with a head the size of a tennis ball. I also want it FULLY in winter plumage. And, have a few nice tail curls.

The black and the drake greenwing I mounted because for me they are rare oppurtunities to shoot. I just like Widgeon, so I mounted one. Wood Ducks are the prettiest birds I think, though that is my worst mount.

I also like to mount them from a memorable hunt. I can clearly remember the day all 4 of the birds I have mounted came from.

If you get one you like with great plumage I say go for it!! Particualrly if it is something tough to get around here. I would love to go out and shoot a big Sprig Pintail.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Great tip waterfowler. I grab some old knee high ones from the wife before each season and keep a couple in my pocket. Slide the bird in head first to keep the feathers down, and later cut it off, don’t pull the bird back out.

mossboss
    La Crescent, MN

Great tip waterfowler. I grab some old knee high ones from the wife before each season and keep a couple in my pocket. Slide the bird in head first to keep the feathers down, and later cut it off, don’t pull the bird back out.

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

It’s kind of funny but I have 9 ducks getting mounted right now and to be honest, When I shot a nice on I just set him off to the side away from the others so I can wrap him in plastic wrap, which you’ll have along any ways if you guys field dress you birds. The biggest thing you really have to worry about is some how pulling feathers out, but don’t worry about them not being straight or anything because I seen how they mount ducks and the last thing i’d worry about is how it looks. Also don’t worry if you shoot the beak, because the use fake ones too.
    You said some thing about a three curl mallard, well I have on getting mounted right now that is a 5 curl mallard .
    Beleave it it’s true, and you should have seen the bird, it had a head like a canadian goose.
    Another thing is you can either wrap the duck with the head straight out or tucked under it’s wing. I tuck it under the wing because it’s just more pretection.

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

It’s kind of funny but I have 9 ducks getting mounted right now and to be honest, When I shot a nice on I just set him off to the side away from the others so I can wrap him in plastic wrap, which you’ll have along any ways if you guys field dress you birds. The biggest thing you really have to worry about is some how pulling feathers out, but don’t worry about them not being straight or anything because I seen how they mount ducks and the last thing i’d worry about is how it looks. Also don’t worry if you shoot the beak, because the use fake ones too.
    You said some thing about a three curl mallard, well I have on getting mounted right now that is a 5 curl mallard .
    Beleave it it’s true, and you should have seen the bird, it had a head like a canadian goose.
    Another thing is you can either wrap the duck with the head straight out or tucked under it’s wing. I tuck it under the wing because it’s just more pretection.

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Hey, one thing to also try is last time out there we found where the ducks were working by a refuge coming in and out so we found what ever land around it that had water and we only put about 12 duck decoys out and 1 lucky duck, and then we took a camoed up burlap and laid it over us and layed on or backs in a field nest to the pond and the ducks would either land or fly over and take a look and more then low enough to shoot that the first 2 days out there we hunted a total of 2 hours tops!

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

Hey, one thing to also try is last time out there we found where the ducks were working by a refuge coming in and out so we found what ever land around it that had water and we only put about 12 duck decoys out and 1 lucky duck, and then we took a camoed up burlap and laid it over us and layed on or backs in a field nest to the pond and the ducks would either land or fly over and take a look and more then low enough to shoot that the first 2 days out there we hunted a total of 2 hours tops!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Killducky, I have a 5 curl mallard mounted as well. shot here in Alma 3 yrs ago. I never saw one before getting this one. Nubbin, when you walk into a pond with a lot of ducks on it don’t shoot right away just quietly bust em out and then set up and wait. They will come back in small flocks and give you more shooting opps.If you can afford it 3″ #6 Hevi-Shot is awesome for decoying mallards. Field hunting is great but don’t leave the dogs out. Just cover them up with a piece of burlap and blaze away. Have a sfe and fun hunt and give us a full report when you get home!

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Killducky, I have a 5 curl mallard mounted as well. shot here in Alma 3 yrs ago. I never saw one before getting this one. Nubbin, when you walk into a pond with a lot of ducks on it don’t shoot right away just quietly bust em out and then set up and wait. They will come back in small flocks and give you more shooting opps.If you can afford it 3″ #6 Hevi-Shot is awesome for decoying mallards. Field hunting is great but don’t leave the dogs out. Just cover them up with a piece of burlap and blaze away. Have a sfe and fun hunt and give us a full report when you get home!

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

What Yellow dog said about finding a big pond with alot of ducks on it works good, you just get your things and walk down there like you setting up and all the ducks will get up and leave, but after about 10 minutes you’ll have duck after duck flying in and it makes a real fun day for hunting. The next day you can even set back up there agian and have as good of luck agian, but if not you just go out and find a new pond!

killducky
    Fond du Lac, Wisconsin

What Yellow dog said about finding a big pond with alot of ducks on it works good, you just get your things and walk down there like you setting up and all the ducks will get up and leave, but after about 10 minutes you’ll have duck after duck flying in and it makes a real fun day for hunting. The next day you can even set back up there agian and have as good of luck agian, but if not you just go out and find a new pond!

nubbinbuck

Looking for some help in getting a license. There is a website where you can purchase your license online. However, I see that ND has 3 zones. I am going to Leeds, which is 30 min. west of Devils Lake. If someone is 100% sure they are correct, which zone would that be? I would like to take care of this today. Thanks.

nubbinbuck

Looking for some help in getting a license. There is a website where you can purchase your license online. However, I see that ND has 3 zones. I am going to Leeds, which is 30 min. west of Devils Lake. If someone is 100% sure they are correct, which zone would that be? I would like to take care of this today. Thanks.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Nubbin, Leeds is northwest of devils lake off of hwy 2 which puts you square in zone 3.

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

Nubbin, Leeds is northwest of devils lake off of hwy 2 which puts you square in zone 3.

nubbinbuck

Sorry for the late post, but was offsite all week. Got back on Monday from my trip. Somewhat disappointed, but it is still an experience. The area NW of Devils lake is pretty dry, and it is causing the hunters to be quite a bit more crowded than normal. Opening morning, we had to go to option #3 — something that has NEVER happened to this group before. We set up in a field where we saw ~500 Snows the night before, and never fired a shot. 80 degree weather, bluebird skies, and no wind made for tough shooting. Sky busters below us in a slough ruined what started as a great field hunt on Sunday morning. We ended up with no geese, and app. 17 ducks (Mallards, Wigeons, BWT). I got to see my first bluebills fly over up there. Man, they sound like a 747 going over !! Too funny.

To summarize: have plenty of options this year, and get up EARLY. Please do not shoot the roosts.

nubbinbuck

Sorry for the late post, but was offsite all week. Got back on Monday from my trip. Somewhat disappointed, but it is still an experience. The area NW of Devils lake is pretty dry, and it is causing the hunters to be quite a bit more crowded than normal. Opening morning, we had to go to option #3 — something that has NEVER happened to this group before. We set up in a field where we saw ~500 Snows the night before, and never fired a shot. 80 degree weather, bluebird skies, and no wind made for tough shooting. Sky busters below us in a slough ruined what started as a great field hunt on Sunday morning. We ended up with no geese, and app. 17 ducks (Mallards, Wigeons, BWT). I got to see my first bluebills fly over up there. Man, they sound like a 747 going over !! Too funny.

To summarize: have plenty of options this year, and get up EARLY. Please do not shoot the roosts.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.