Reminder… maintain your trailer bearings!

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

This is just a friendly reminder to waterfowl hunters and fishermen alike.

I had the misfortune of blowing out a bearing at 3:45 am sunday morning on the way to the duck slough. I just had packed my bearings about a week before

When I packed my bearings, I noticed a hair of play to the tire and I just tightened up the nut about an 1/8 turn which took care of the problem… so I thought. No play, no binding, tire rolled good and quietly. I neglected to pull and inspect the bearings and just did a “quicky job” of packing in new grease.

Well.. it caught up with me quickly. I blew out the inner bearing on the freeway and my boat swayed wildly until I reduced my speed ot very slow speeds. I stopped, seen the obviously blown bearing and grease everywhere, I had little choice but to limp the trailer back a couple miles to where it could sit and not be towed. The inner bearings were gone by the time I got the trailer back, the races were nearly ground all the way through which would have destroyed my hub, broke the axle spindle… in the worst case scenario I could have easily lost the tire while going down the road causing damage to the trailer, boat, or another motorist.

Take a few minutes now and check your bearings if you havent recently.. its much easier to do on a 50 degree day than it will in the near future sitting on the roadside in whatever mother nature decides to throw at us while duck hunting/late fall fishing. Even with bearing buddies you have to check the bearings from time to time. The least you should do is jack up the trailer and check for play at each tire. There should be no play!

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Thanks David
    While I like to fashion myself to be prety savy when it comes to mechanical inclinations, I will be the first to admit that I have never done a complete inspection or a full hand-packing bearing job.
    Can you give any of us under-privledged folks some more insight on what a complete inspection and maintenance program should involve?
    In all of my years of trailering, packing the bearing buddies is all I have ever done
    I probably just jinxed myself, but fortunately I have never experience a bearing going out.
    cheers

drakesdemise
    Residing in St. Paul, MN doing weekly travel throughout the five state Upper Midwest

Thanks David
    While I like to fashion myself to be prety savy when it comes to mechanical inclinations, I will be the first to admit that I have never done a complete inspection or a full hand-packing bearing job.
    Can you give any of us under-privledged folks some more insight on what a complete inspection and maintenance program should involve?
    In all of my years of trailering, packing the bearing buddies is all I have ever done
    I probably just jinxed myself, but fortunately I have never experience a bearing going out.
    cheers

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

I had two weeks of down time this summer while replacing bearings and cleaning/rebuilding brakes. First thing was that I didnt replace the rubber bearing seal that had a hole in it and it filled with water and they got scorched, being that I was out of town I had to pay somebody else to do the work and they overtightened the nuts and it poped the back seal out on the way home …..so I had grease everywhere outside the hub(in the brake drum) and hot dry smoking bearings on the inside
    Redid them myself this time and also realized that my brakes were in tough shape so I had to comepletely tear them apart, clean and polish/port the cylinders, and then rebleed the lines.
    That is dirty work, but needs to be done. Definitely have to repack the bearing every year and as long as you are in there clean the brakes and make sure they are adjusted right. If they dont get used the piston and cylinder assemble will corrode and sieze up.
    For replacing bearing: they come apart pretty easily, when putting new ones in just be sure not to overpack the bearing/hub with grease and tighten the nut just a hair beyond hand tight. If you are in between holes on the castle nut then put a small washer in there to make up the difference so they are not too tight or too loose…
    I still have grease under my finger nails
    Mark

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

I had two weeks of down time this summer while replacing bearings and cleaning/rebuilding brakes. First thing was that I didnt replace the rubber bearing seal that had a hole in it and it filled with water and they got scorched, being that I was out of town I had to pay somebody else to do the work and they overtightened the nuts and it poped the back seal out on the way home …..so I had grease everywhere outside the hub(in the brake drum) and hot dry smoking bearings on the inside
    Redid them myself this time and also realized that my brakes were in tough shape so I had to comepletely tear them apart, clean and polish/port the cylinders, and then rebleed the lines.
    That is dirty work, but needs to be done. Definitely have to repack the bearing every year and as long as you are in there clean the brakes and make sure they are adjusted right. If they dont get used the piston and cylinder assemble will corrode and sieze up.
    For replacing bearing: they come apart pretty easily, when putting new ones in just be sure not to overpack the bearing/hub with grease and tighten the nut just a hair beyond hand tight. If you are in between holes on the castle nut then put a small washer in there to make up the difference so they are not too tight or too loose…
    I still have grease under my finger nails
    Mark

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Very good post David…..may I also suggest a quick check of your batteries to the list?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Very good post David…..may I also suggest a quick check of your batteries to the list?

finman

One day this past summer I took my boat to work so I could get a couple of hours of fishing in that evening. On the way, I happened to look in the mirror, only to watch my bearing buddy go flying off. No problem, had a spare with, along with some tools. Got the spare on, made it to work, and on the way to the launch- once again checked the mirror, only to watch my spare bearing buddy fly off. Luckily, I scrounged around in the truck and found a dust cap. Put that on and headed for the ramp. Fished that evening(didn’t catch crap by the way) and on the way home I figured I had better stop and check that cap- GONE!!! I ended up having to limp the boat home at 15mph in the dark with the flashers on. If that wasn’t enough to make a guy go postal, the worst thing about the whole ordeal was that it was a brand new hub that only saw about 50 miles before this happened!!!

finman

One day this past summer I took my boat to work so I could get a couple of hours of fishing in that evening. On the way, I happened to look in the mirror, only to watch my bearing buddy go flying off. No problem, had a spare with, along with some tools. Got the spare on, made it to work, and on the way to the launch- once again checked the mirror, only to watch my spare bearing buddy fly off. Luckily, I scrounged around in the truck and found a dust cap. Put that on and headed for the ramp. Fished that evening(didn’t catch crap by the way) and on the way home I figured I had better stop and check that cap- GONE!!! I ended up having to limp the boat home at 15mph in the dark with the flashers on. If that wasn’t enough to make a guy go postal, the worst thing about the whole ordeal was that it was a brand new hub that only saw about 50 miles before this happened!!!

david_scott
    Twin Cities

drakesdemise… and anyone else

You will need a pair of bearing seals for this(about $5)

To inspect your bearings, use a screwdriver to pull off the dust cap or bearing buddies… whatever your trailer is equipped with.

Before going any further, try to twist and torque the wheel to see if you have any play, or any noise when you freely spin the tire(there should be none).

Use a pliers to straiten out and pull the cotter key, and a wrench to take off the castle nut(large nut with grooves). The castle nut often will spin off by hand. If there is a washer behind the castle nut, remove that too and set everything on a CLEAN rag, you dont want any dirt going back into the assembly.

From there, gently pull out on the tire about an inch, and push it back in, you should be able to slide off the outer wheel bearing sitting in plain view and set it on your clean rag with the rest of the parts, be sure to make a mental note that is the outer bearing, some are different!

After removing the inner bearing, grab the wheel with both hands and pull while trying to keep it on center so you dont beat up the threads on the spindle(where castle nut was). The wheel should come off without too much problem.

Lay the wheel on the face(lug nut side), and grab a pair of pliers or screwdriver and pull, or carefully pry off the seal in the rear. Once it is off, the inner bearings will be exposed. Pull the bearing out and set it on the rag.

Now everything is out(for inspection). You will want to use a rag to clean these bearings off the best you possibly can. If need be, use some alcohol or something similar to get off all the old nasty grease. Once you get all the grease off, look at each bearing closely for any type of wear, uneven wear, rust, chips, pitting, or excess play in the bearing itself. If something doesnt seem right, replace it.

After you inspect the bearings, wipe all the grease you can off the bearing races inside of the hub, the races are a steel ring with a slight taper the bearings rest on. Look for any wear, pits, rust, scratches, etc.. they should be perfectly smooth with well defined edges. If there is any damage, even if it looks minor, replace them.

To remove the bearing races, you will need a hammer and a punch with a blunt end(pointed end wont work on most). Lay the wheel on the ground and tap them out gently by moving the punch position around the race while you tap it out so it doesnt bind. To install the race, coat the outside lightly with fresh grease and tap it in all the way to the seat inside of the hub(wont go any further).

On the inner bearing, if the race is still good, or you replaced it… grab some marine grade wheel grease and load the bearing up the best you can before installing it, squish the grease into every possible part. Before installing the bearing, you can also manually put a load of grease into the hub on the inner race to assure grease gets everywhere when repacked. Put the inner bearing into the race, and gently tap a NEW seal into place on the inside of the hub. This will hold your inner bearing in place, and assure you of no leakage in the near future.

Once the inner assembly is together, slide the wheel back on the axle as far as it will go, rotate the tire some and wiggle it to be sure it goes all the way on.

Now the wheel is sitting on the axle, get globs of grease and keep forcing it back into the vacancy between the axle and the hub until you cant fit anymore. Once you get to that stage, pack the outer bearing with grease just like you did the inner bearing, make sure everything is well covered with fresh grease including the bearing race. Slide the bearing into place, install the washer if there is one, and put on the castle nut.

This is the MOST IMPORTANT part… when installing the castle nut, its recommended to use a wrench about 12″ long to avoid over tightening. Tighten the nut down slowly when you start to get any pressure, rotate BOTH directions and wiggle the tire to be sure it has set to where it needs to be. Tighten the nut until you start to get a little bit of tension while spinning the wheel(binding), from there back the nut off 1/16 – 1/4 turn until the cotter key lines up in the pilot hole. Put the cotter key in, and the dust cap/bearing buddy on and you are done(if bearing buddy, pack a little more grease in until plate starts to rise).

IF by chance the wheel doesnt go back on as far as it should, its likely a bearing race isnt in place, or the seal hasnt positioned itself on the axle properly yet, do not try to force it.

I cant stress enough if the grease looks muddy, or dirty at all, be sure to get all of that old grease out of there or it will destroy your bearings.

The whole process usually takes about 45 minutes, a couple bearing seals($5), and a tube of grease. I use the grease from my grease gun(marine grade) for the job rather than the can. A total expense of $10 or less and a short period of time is way better than disaster roadside.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

drakesdemise… and anyone else

You will need a pair of bearing seals for this(about $5)

To inspect your bearings, use a screwdriver to pull off the dust cap or bearing buddies… whatever your trailer is equipped with.

Before going any further, try to twist and torque the wheel to see if you have any play, or any noise when you freely spin the tire(there should be none).

Use a pliers to straiten out and pull the cotter key, and a wrench to take off the castle nut(large nut with grooves). The castle nut often will spin off by hand. If there is a washer behind the castle nut, remove that too and set everything on a CLEAN rag, you dont want any dirt going back into the assembly.

From there, gently pull out on the tire about an inch, and push it back in, you should be able to slide off the outer wheel bearing sitting in plain view and set it on your clean rag with the rest of the parts, be sure to make a mental note that is the outer bearing, some are different!

After removing the inner bearing, grab the wheel with both hands and pull while trying to keep it on center so you dont beat up the threads on the spindle(where castle nut was). The wheel should come off without too much problem.

Lay the wheel on the face(lug nut side), and grab a pair of pliers or screwdriver and pull, or carefully pry off the seal in the rear. Once it is off, the inner bearings will be exposed. Pull the bearing out and set it on the rag.

Now everything is out(for inspection). You will want to use a rag to clean these bearings off the best you possibly can. If need be, use some alcohol or something similar to get off all the old nasty grease. Once you get all the grease off, look at each bearing closely for any type of wear, uneven wear, rust, chips, pitting, or excess play in the bearing itself. If something doesnt seem right, replace it.

After you inspect the bearings, wipe all the grease you can off the bearing races inside of the hub, the races are a steel ring with a slight taper the bearings rest on. Look for any wear, pits, rust, scratches, etc.. they should be perfectly smooth with well defined edges. If there is any damage, even if it looks minor, replace them.

To remove the bearing races, you will need a hammer and a punch with a blunt end(pointed end wont work on most). Lay the wheel on the ground and tap them out gently by moving the punch position around the race while you tap it out so it doesnt bind. To install the race, coat the outside lightly with fresh grease and tap it in all the way to the seat inside of the hub(wont go any further).

On the inner bearing, if the race is still good, or you replaced it… grab some marine grade wheel grease and load the bearing up the best you can before installing it, squish the grease into every possible part. Before installing the bearing, you can also manually put a load of grease into the hub on the inner race to assure grease gets everywhere when repacked. Put the inner bearing into the race, and gently tap a NEW seal into place on the inside of the hub. This will hold your inner bearing in place, and assure you of no leakage in the near future.

Once the inner assembly is together, slide the wheel back on the axle as far as it will go, rotate the tire some and wiggle it to be sure it goes all the way on.

Now the wheel is sitting on the axle, get globs of grease and keep forcing it back into the vacancy between the axle and the hub until you cant fit anymore. Once you get to that stage, pack the outer bearing with grease just like you did the inner bearing, make sure everything is well covered with fresh grease including the bearing race. Slide the bearing into place, install the washer if there is one, and put on the castle nut.

This is the MOST IMPORTANT part… when installing the castle nut, its recommended to use a wrench about 12″ long to avoid over tightening. Tighten the nut down slowly when you start to get any pressure, rotate BOTH directions and wiggle the tire to be sure it has set to where it needs to be. Tighten the nut until you start to get a little bit of tension while spinning the wheel(binding), from there back the nut off 1/16 – 1/4 turn until the cotter key lines up in the pilot hole. Put the cotter key in, and the dust cap/bearing buddy on and you are done(if bearing buddy, pack a little more grease in until plate starts to rise).

IF by chance the wheel doesnt go back on as far as it should, its likely a bearing race isnt in place, or the seal hasnt positioned itself on the axle properly yet, do not try to force it.

I cant stress enough if the grease looks muddy, or dirty at all, be sure to get all of that old grease out of there or it will destroy your bearings.

The whole process usually takes about 45 minutes, a couple bearing seals($5), and a tube of grease. I use the grease from my grease gun(marine grade) for the job rather than the can. A total expense of $10 or less and a short period of time is way better than disaster roadside.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

One thing to also remember, if your wheel bearings are bad enough to replace and the race looks good…don’t skimp! The new races are very inexpensive…your old race that looks good is actually worn to fit the old bearing, if you put a new bearing in an old race it will fail! I used to work for a farm machinery dealer and have seen it many times, so spend the extra couple bucks and go with new parts. Also clean out your hubs with parts cleaner so you don’t have any old foreign matter inside.

fireman731
    Miles, Iowa

One thing to also remember, if your wheel bearings are bad enough to replace and the race looks good…don’t skimp! The new races are very inexpensive…your old race that looks good is actually worn to fit the old bearing, if you put a new bearing in an old race it will fail! I used to work for a farm machinery dealer and have seen it many times, so spend the extra couple bucks and go with new parts. Also clean out your hubs with parts cleaner so you don’t have any old foreign matter inside.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

One thing to also remember, if your wheel bearings are bad enough to replace and the race looks good…don’t skimp! The new races are very inexpensive…your old race that looks good is actually worn to fit the old bearing, if you put a new bearing in an old race it will fail!

Complete bearing kits are very inexpensive. They can usually be purchased for $10-$30(per wheel) depending on the size and quality of the bearings. The kit includes both races, both bearings, the seal, a cotter key, and usually a dust cap. If anything is showing wear, its best to replace everything.

I havent had any better life out of the more expensive bearings than I have the cheap ones. I buy them at Northern Tool & Equipment.

david_scott
    Twin Cities

Quote:

One thing to also remember, if your wheel bearings are bad enough to replace and the race looks good…don’t skimp! The new races are very inexpensive…your old race that looks good is actually worn to fit the old bearing, if you put a new bearing in an old race it will fail!

Complete bearing kits are very inexpensive. They can usually be purchased for $10-$30(per wheel) depending on the size and quality of the bearings. The kit includes both races, both bearings, the seal, a cotter key, and usually a dust cap. If anything is showing wear, its best to replace everything.

I havent had any better life out of the more expensive bearings than I have the cheap ones. I buy them at Northern Tool & Equipment.

drakesdemise

Thanks guys
    I saved the tutorial to my desktop.
    Now I need to make plans to get it done before that jinxing thing becomes reality
    cheers

drakesdemise

Thanks guys
    I saved the tutorial to my desktop.
    Now I need to make plans to get it done before that jinxing thing becomes reality
    cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.