IA. opener

• Brian Lyons

Anybody hunt the IA. second opener this weekend?
    How did you do?

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Brian,I hit a few ponds and walked about 2 miles of creek this morning.I did not see a duck or any geese.Ran into another hunter who had not had any luck either.I have no idea where all the ducks are,are the populations down that much?
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Brian,I hit a few ponds and walked about 2 miles of creek this morning.I did not see a duck or any geese.Ran into another hunter who had not had any luck either.I have no idea where all the ducks are,are the populations down that much?
    Ryan Hale

Brian Lyons

Hi Ryan;
    We didn’t have our normal opening success either. The wood Ducks were much less than normal in our area. There were a good number of mallards but they were working about 200yards from us. The fellows in that spot had a very good shoot. We wound up with just three woodies for our morning…….B

Brian Lyons

Hi Ryan;
    We didn’t have our normal opening success either. The wood Ducks were much less than normal in our area. There were a good number of mallards but they were working about 200yards from us. The fellows in that spot had a very good shoot. We wound up with just three woodies for our morning…….B

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

We hit a flood pond near La Porte City today and I killed a nice drake mallard. They guys I hunt with went out both mornings and three guys killed 17 ducks–including a pintall, gadwalls, green wings, woodies and mallards. They were on the Cedar north of Vinton.

–Whitey

Great White
    Vinton, Iowa

We hit a flood pond near La Porte City today and I killed a nice drake mallard. They guys I hunt with went out both mornings and three guys killed 17 ducks–including a pintall, gadwalls, green wings, woodies and mallards. They were on the Cedar north of Vinton.

–Whitey

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I didn’t hunt the opener. First time in a very long time. But from what I have heard from the guys who hunt in the same area that I do….I didn’t miss much. We try for geese on Sunday but we did so without scouting them. Bad idea. Just been to busy lately. Hopefully that will change once we get into Nov. THAT’S when I love to hunt. Snow, wind, cold….big flock of mallards. Course I haven’t seen that since the big blow of 98′. LOL!!!! Maybe this year.

Ducks

ducks4me
    N.E. Iowa

I didn’t hunt the opener. First time in a very long time. But from what I have heard from the guys who hunt in the same area that I do….I didn’t miss much. We try for geese on Sunday but we did so without scouting them. Bad idea. Just been to busy lately. Hopefully that will change once we get into Nov. THAT’S when I love to hunt. Snow, wind, cold….big flock of mallards. Course I haven’t seen that since the big blow of 98′. LOL!!!! Maybe this year.

Ducks

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Got the first duck of the year this afternoon.A single female woodie was on a pond and put the sneak to her.I was out running my setters so my female had to make a water retrieve.She did fine as she only had to take a few steps to get the woodie.We will be on the water fishing Spirit in the morning so the gun is going with.
    Best of luck guys,
    Ryan Hale

ryan-hale
    NW Ia

Got the first duck of the year this afternoon.A single female woodie was on a pond and put the sneak to her.I was out running my setters so my female had to make a water retrieve.She did fine as she only had to take a few steps to get the woodie.We will be on the water fishing Spirit in the morning so the gun is going with.
    Best of luck guys,
    Ryan Hale

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.