water separator

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Bought a water separator for my Yamaha 90 four stroke. Like the one BK recommended. All good till I went to mount it.
    In the instructions it says not to mount it in direct sunlight. On a Lund Alaskan just about everywhere is in the sunlight.
    Anyone have any experience with this? Is this a big deal? And if so why. Could possibly mount it in the middle of transom area where then start battery and the pumps are. Out of sun there. Any danger of it being in there where the electrical stuff is. I have no experience with this and appreciate
    help.

Thanks

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I would mount it where it works best. wouldnt worry about it,look at all the pontoons there almost all in the open.

munchy
    NULL

The reason the manufacturer tells you that is because of possible vapor lock. However it’s such a very slim chance that I wouldn’t worry about it. Even if you do start experiencing issues you can always figure out a way to shade it if needed.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I have a 16′ 1998 Lund Alaskan with a 40 hp Yamaha. Been running a 10 micron fuel filer since day one and I have a ton of hours on that rig with zero issues. Not sure what BK recommended but a Yamaha 10 micron fuel filer is what Yamaha recommends. I’d go with what Yamaha recommends if I were you.

I keep mine is in front of the motor where the bilge pump and battery are, which is out of the sun. Let me know if you want me to take a picture of it.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I just installed mine last weekend. Sorry I can’t help you on where to mount it. Mine is under the floor in the salon (for the generator). I replaced the clear plastic filter (not USCG approved) and priming bulb.

Oh, double hose clamp the hoses on for anything with fuel.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.