Water Hemp in food plots

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Long time lurker on the Hunting food plot side of ido, this might be my first post over here.
    I need help from the experts.

I’ve been doing food plots for a couple years now, have tractor/planter/sprayers/tiller all the toys
    Every year I put in about 2-3 acres on a small chunk of land
    About an acre ish of corn and soybeans, 1/2 acre of pumpkins and squash

The last couple of years water hemp is kicking my butt
    Fist it wasn’t so bad, then last year it took everything over and I really didn’t have any food left for the deer.

Late April/early may I take the brush hog and mow down the remaining of last years crop and spray with round up.
    Around a week later, I’ll till up the ground, and spray again.
    A week later I’ll start putting seed in the ground.

Mid June I’ll spray again, after that I can’t spray the corn/beans anymore, tractor is too short and I end up doing more damage than good.

What I don’t know/need is what chemical/mixture needed to kill water hemp as it eats roundup and smiles.
    And can it be used on corn/beans/pumpkins??

I enjoy spending time in the field and being a mini farmer, but come mid july when all i see work/money down the drain, it gets me.

So this year I’m hoping to have a fix for that!

Brandon Mckean

From a coworker who also farms, Enlist herbicide or Dicamba herbicide. He says the hemp is bad stuff. Those herbicides are going to kill a bunch of stuff, so do a bunch of research and be careful with them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I don’t have a lot of good news for you. A “fix” for water hemp is not an easy “spray this stuff” answer. Water hemp is a serious weed problem because as you’ve found out, it is often highly resistant to glyphosate (Roundup).

First, stop mowing! Since you can’t spray later in the growing cycle, your problem is getting worse because the uncontrolled water hemp is maturing and producing seed heads which then seed out. Then by mowing, you are spreading all those millions of seeds that are left on the plants everywhere in your plots.

Since Dicamba and Enlist have already been mentioned, be careful here! Dicamba requires a license for purchase and application and even if you could get some by other means, this is not amateur hour stuff. Extreme caution needs to be used when handling and apply Dicamba, especially with spray drift and Dicamba can drift for very long distances. Don’t mess with this stuff unless you know what you’re doing.

There are a lot of issues with herbicides to control water hemp. Systems like the Liberty/Enlist system might be an option, but these only work with certain seeds that are compatible with the herbicides.

We are testing food-plot-specific Enlist-ready varieties of soybeans this year and they should be available next season.

In the meantime, I would alter your growing practices and implement as many tillage controls as possible along with planting some mowable crops like clover blends so you can keep up with mowing and prevent seed heads from forming.

I’m not sure a tiller is a good idea for water hemp control. I would want to do research on that before you keep using it. My concern would be deep-burying the seeds compared to discing and then prolonging the problem.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

In corn you can spray 2-4D to kill many guy resistant weeds. Which you can buy at fleet farm. Pumpkins I have no clue what you can spray.

klang

As said above, I have used 2-4 D to kill water Hemp in Corn as well as Sorghum. It’s best to get it sprayed early before corn gets too tall or the sorghum or corn will lay over and “goose neck”. You can put drops on a sprayer to get it below the corn foliage but probably not practical for a food plot. In the fall, once the crop you have planted starts to die, you can try spraying over the top with 2-4 D. Seems like WH turns brown a little later than everything else. This is not the best method, better to get it early. As said above, I would not mow the old WH plants, just scattering the seed. Can you burn the plot?
    They have come out with a 2-4D resistant soybean also.

BTW- Pumpkins do not tolerate 2-4D at all so be careful around them

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Thanks for all the info fellas!

2-4d/trimec I am familiar with and use, so I can pick more of that up at the elevator when I pick up seed/fertilizer/chemicals.

Consensus is to NOT mow the standing weeds and left over crop from last year as all that would do is spread the water hemp seed further which is where the corn and pumpkins are from last year.

So what do I do with those?
    I can’t do a control burn myself, way to chicken that it will get away from me.

Do I spray with roundup/2-4 d a couple of times and put corn in no till? The planter is an old john deere 2 row 3 point and the soil is pretty sandy, I don’t think I’d have any issues getting the seed deep enough.

Or do I do a cover crop like a clover or alfalfa for a couple years to smother the water hemp out?

The 3rd chunk is currently left over beats/radishes that has no water hemp in it.

Here is what I’m thinking, please offer in thoughts:

Early May:
    In the 3rd chunk I’ll spray roundup and 2-4d and kill off the beats/radishes from last year.
    Let that sit a weekish
    Shallow till that and broadcast fertilizer and soybeans and drag those in

Early June I’ll spray with roundup and 2-4d again
    Spray that one maybe two more times before crop is too tall

Again, thank you everyone for your input!

klang

Early June I’ll spray with roundup and 2-4d again

make sure the seed you are using is suitable for both these.

Do you have access to a moldboard plow? May help in the plots where you had trouble last year to get seed buried deep

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My advice is to slow down a little and understand what you’re doing and set a strategy that will get the weeds under control. Which realistically will need to be a multi year strategy. There is no quick fix for a water hemp infestation.

Water hemp reproduces by setting seed heads on the mature plant. These seed heads contain millions of tiny seeds. The key to long-term water hemp control is to STOP the water hemp plants from maturing and producing seeds while you also focus on killing the new water hemp plants as they emerge from the seed that is in your soil already.

First off, let’s understand your herbicide options. Water hemp is resistant to Roundup (brand name for generic glyphosate), so spraying more glyphosate will NOT fix your problems.

Also, you need to understand that glyphosate, 2-4-D and other common herbicides are POST-EMERGENT. This means they only kill plants that are green and actively growing, they do NOT kill seeds in the soil. Spraying post-emergent chemicals on bare dirt just wastes chemicals, it will have NO effect on the seed that is lying dormant in the soil waiting to germinate.

2-4-D (2,4,D) – This is a BROADLEAF killer. It kills most things that are NOT relatives of the grass/grain family. 2-4-D will kill water hemp, but here is the issue–it can’t be used in any broadleaf crop like brassicas, soybeans, and clover/alfalfa because these are broadleaf plants.

2-4-D DOES NOT kill members of the grass/grain family including corn, wheat, rye, oats, etc.

Last thing to understand is your brassicas (radish, turnip, rapeseed, beets, are all members of the brassicas family() plot is dead. These plants are all killed by the frost, they do not re-emerge in the spring.

Strategy for this year:

– Soybeans are going to be the most difficult crop to grow in terms of water hemp control because you cannot mow them or spray them with 2-4-D, which is your only effective (reasonably available) chemical control. I would ditch the soybean idea for this year.

– I really would encourage you to look hard at the cover crop strategy of planting a clover blend. Why?

1. This option allows you to take your time in the spring and let the water hemp germinate, you can then control some plants by spraying 2-4-D and roundup (for other weeds) before you plant the clover.

2. As long as you can mow the clover plot before the water hemp sets seed heads, you will essentially grow the water hemp out of existence. Mowing i, IMO, a lot more desirable of a way to control weeds than is constant spraying. Just do NOT let it mature to set more seed heads. Also, clover makes it difficult for the water hemp to compete in that plot.

3. Clover is just an awesome food plot crop. There is never a time when deer will not eat clover. This is a staple deer food and very few crops can top clover’s tonnage per acre on a full-year basis. Corn isn’t even close to the tonnage of clover.

BTW, clover should always be planted with a nurse crop in the northern tier. Reply if you don’t know what this means or what to do.

For your brassicas plot (turnips/radish), I would cover crop this plot with oats. Control the water hemp by spraying 2-4-D as plants emerge.

Then in late June, spray gly to terminate the oats. Spray 2-4-D also if there is active water hemp growth. Then thoroughly disc the plot and plant a quality brassicas blend (like Midwest Monster’s Brassicas Bender! Hey, I had to…) and get it in no later than July 4.

This cover crop and summer tillage combined with weed control will do 2 things. It will kill germinated plants before you plant the crop and it will also provide a good crop, but even though you won’t be able to spray the brassicas, the water hemp that does germinate will be generally too late to form seed heads in most cases.

But take no chances! Carefully watch for water hemp and hand pull all plants before they form seed heads. Dispose of plants in a fire.

Now somebody’s probably going to come in with ideas about pre-emergents like atrazine or applications of (mostly licensed) over-the-top controls. This is fine if you know what you are doing AND can legally and safely get and use the chemicals. Most food plotters do not have this ability and should not be messing with licensed or restricted use chemicals that they don’t understand.

OVERALL GOAL: Do NOT allow ANY water hemp plants ANYWHERE in your plots to mature to the seed head stage! Walk the plots and pull them by hand. The few hours spent doing this will pay you back way more than hours and hours spent trying to solve the problem after the seeds have spread.

2aforlife

Strategy for this year:

– Soybeans are going to be the most difficult crop to grow in terms of water hemp control because you cannot mow them or spray them with 2-4-D, which is your only effective (reasonably available) chemical control. I would ditch the soybean idea for this year.

I think the pumpkins will be the most difficult

If you ultimately do want to plant soybeans in my mind the only option is to buy some Enlist E3 beans and you will have beans that are tolerant to glyphosate, glufosinate (liberty), and Enlist 2,4-D

There are some concerns as mentioned above-and while Enlist is not a restricted use product it does have some label requirements that you would have to follow to legally apply it. If you have an idea what you are doing and are able to follow the label you have low risk of issues and you should be able to control small emerged waterhemp reasonably well.

If you are going to continue growing pumpkins your best option is going to be mechanical removal as suggested in the pumpkin patch at least.

Good luck!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If anyone wants to try Real World Wildlife Products new Enlist G3 soybean variety, get in touch quickly. A few bags just became available after this variety sold out early. 85.00 a bag plus tax. Hurry.

Grouse

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Grouse,

I have read, reread, read again and copied your reply into a word doc so I can print it and read it 10 more times and follow it!

I now understand the words that are coming out of your fingers and it makes sense. Thank you for taking the time to spell out it for me.

I’ll be back with updates and I’m sure more questions )

Thank you,

Jami

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.