Water Heater Leak?

• Bassn Dan

Small puddle of water under the gas water heater last night.

Wiped it up and there was more water again this morning and early afternoon, but now it’s completely dry???

Maybe the hole in the tank self-sealed with sediment, etc? Or is there another reason that there would be water under the tank?

duh queen

The pressure relief valve is a common source of leaks, as it the drain valve. Check these before calling a service man. A leaky valve is an easy fix. If the tank has rusted through the insulation will be wet, and you’ve probably seen the last of your water heater.

Bassn Dan

Thanks Dee. Gas water heater.

I looked at the pressure relief valve last night, and the top of the unit was dry so my guess was that it’s seeping out of the tank. But if the tank was leaking it seems odd that it would stop?

mojogunter

Water heaters are usually good for about 15 years a little more or less depending on how much rust there is in the water.

Bassn Dan

Was just in the basement and saw a little water again. I guess I can buy a new water heater with a clear conscience and not think that I wasted money on that instead of buying more fishing stuff.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Is the water under the unit or under the pipe that should run down the side of the unit off your relief valve?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

First thing I check on a water heater is the age. Newer ones have a build date on them. Older units the date is in the serial number. Google your brand of water heaters age. Most likely will take you to the building center and that will have instructions on how to read the date. All other dates on the water heater have nothing to do with the build date.

Next I’ll open the outer door to the burner. If there is water in there it’s more than likely a leaker.

If you got 12 to 14 years out of the water heater that’s a good run. If it’s over 20 just replace it if it’s leaking or not.

If you are located in the north metro let me know if you need any help with a new water heater. I install a lot of them.

Bassn Dan

It’s 25+ years old so going to be replaced.

Mike – I’m several hours away from North Metro or you’d get the call – thanks.

The water is not coming down the pressure relief pipe – it’s seeping down by one of the heater’s feet.

I think the reason the water temporarily dried up under it was because I ran a bunch of hot water (while I have it…) to put in pans to defrost the freezer and the heat from the burner maybe dried up the seepage.

Thanks everyone.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

Had to replace ours 2 years ago. Ours did the same thing as yours. Water on the floor. We were also noticing the water would not stay warm as long as you would expect with the old water heater. I believe our old one was over 15 years old. Haven’t run out of hot water since we replaced it.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Had 2 inches of water in the basement 2 months ago from an old water heater bursting. Get a new one. They are cheaper than the clean up.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I moved in May and the water heater here is 9 years old. After reading through this thread, I may be in line for a new one this year too. Any thoughts on a tankless version?

Snake ii’s

25+ year old water heater.
    You like living on the edge, eh?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Had 2 inches of water in the basement 2 months ago from an old water heater bursting. Get a new one. They are cheaper than the clean up.

Yeah, I had a heater go out 25 years ago and the water was gushing out of the top of the unit. You might consider turning the water off if you leave home for any amount of time.

I was lucky, the floor drain was right next to the heater and we didn’t have any water damage.

Bassn Dan

The girl I spoke with at the plumbers said “Hopefully they can replace the water heater this week.”

It’s still just a minor leak from the tank, but had hoped to get it done sooner so that I don’t have to be on “leak watch” to keep from being flooded.

Do small leaks from the tank usually stay that way for a few days, or can they turn into BIG leaks?

Bassn Dan

25+ year old water heater.
    You like living on the edge, eh?

The date of manufacture on it is 1989, so maybe 30+ years old.

Hard water (I don’t like softened water) so I flush a couple gallons of water from the heater tank every week to keep the rust scale from filling it up. When I mentioned that to a plumber he said “Your water heater is going to last a LONG time.” Guess he was right!

As to a floor drain. There’s one just a couple feet away from from the water heater, with the floor pitched so that water flows AWAY from the drain. Not too helpful…

vtec

30+ years old??? Leaking?
    You need to get that heater replaced NOW, if not sooner.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just about every new home is like that with the floor drains.

Are you on well water Dan? Well water in my area can prolong the life of the water heaters. The city water just to the south of us eats them up much faster.

If you are on well water talk to the plumber about changing out the anode rod on the new water heater so you don’t get rotten egg smelling hot water.

I don’t see many water heaters that really let loose but it does happen. Keep an eye on it.

Bassn Dan

Just about every new home is like that with the floor drains.

Are you on well water Dan? Well water in my area can prolong the life of the water heaters. The city water just to the south of us eats them up much faster.

If you are on well water talk to the plumber about changing out the anode rod on the new water heater so you don’t get rotten egg smelling hot water.

I don’t see many water heaters that really let loose but it does happen. Keep an eye on it.

Thanks Mike. It’s well water with iron and lime/calcium in it, but haven’t had a problem with rotten egg smells – or can that be caused by the anode rods in new water heaters?

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Yes. Anode rod in the brand new water heater can cause the issue. That 28 year old water heater most likely the anode rod is gone. I change them out to an aluminum anode rod.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I change them out to an aluminum anode rod.

Curious, we removed ours from the water heater at work. The smell was terrible. Is there any downside to not replacing the rod, other than it will take out the tank sooner?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Mike knows his stuff. With boats in fresh water they call for magnesium anodes, in salt water, aluminum. I did a quick check and found that water heaters are not boats!

“Aluminum and aluminum/zinc anode rods are used in similar ways as magnesium sacrificial rods. However, aluminum rods are the better choice for a water heater that heats up sulfate-tinged water. Sacrificial anodes change sulfates into hydrogen sulfides. When a magnesium anode rod is used, the level of hydrogen sulfide can get too high and cause a rotten-egg stench in your hot water.”

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i dont wanna insult any plumbing people out there, but when i had to replace my water heater,a good friend of mine who is a licensed plumber….told me to go buy the water heater from the big M store and he’d put it in. he told me flat out he cant touch a water heater for what they sell them for……not sure if that changed, but…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Unions…I’m sure.

Charles

I have one from 1994 lol. Yeah I am getting that replace this summer.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

i dont wanna insult any plumbing people out there, but when i had to replace my water heater,a good friend of mine who is a licensed plumber….told me to go buy the water heater from the big M store and he’d put it in. he told me flat out he cant touch a water heater for what they sell them for……not sure if that changed, but…..

You get what you pay for. That big sticker on the box store water heater that says “do not return to store if any issues” says a lot. And that extended warranty they sell you good luck with that to.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Man, now this has me worried about our water heater. That thing is probably a 2007 from when the house was built

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Mike W….i hear what you are saying, trust me,…but mines still going strong after a good 15 years!!!!

and to the extended warranty…….i tell them if i need that maybe i shouldnt be buying there product!!!!!!

breakerbreaker
    Inactive

what ever one you get plan on it dying about a month after the warranty is up. My dad use to work in maintenance and more time then not thats what played out. We replaced ours a few years back same issue water coming from the underside. From the first sign to the weekend was a small stream to the drain the bottoms tend to rust out. Dont remember how old it was but it had ribbed sides on it and we bought the house as a REO.

Swimjiggin
    Burnsville/Willmar

Speaking of anode rods, a plumber fella I know told me to pull it out every 2 years and clean it. Any truth to that?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.