Water Heater Leak?

• Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

I had mine leak once at the valve. It sits a foot away from the floor drain, which way do you think the water traveled? doah Yup, Towards and under the carpet.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Speaking of anode rods, a plumber fella I know told me to pull it out every 2 years and clean it. Any truth to that?

Clean it? No on that. Inspect it and maybe replace.

New and used anode rod.

Attachments:
    1. 20200731_101218-scaled.jpg

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Honestly never given much thought regarding our water heater. We have lived in our house now for about 6 years. According to the serial number on the sticker looks like its from 1999 if I am reading it correctly! Sounds like at that age it owes me nothing and I should replace it to prevent a catastrophic leak.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20230131_170242093.jpg

boone
    Woodbury, MN

I jinxed myself by reading this post last week. Now my water heater has a slow leak. Where’s a good place to purchase water heaters? I currently have a Bradford White, 50 gallon, Power Vent, Natural gas. The model number is M1TW50S6FBN. That model looks to be discontinued and the replacement Model is Bradford White RG1P50S6N.

Thanks

ThunderLund78

I jinxed myself by reading this post last week. Now my water heater has a slow leak. Where’s a good place to purchase water heaters? I currently have a Bradford White, 50 gallon, Power Vent, Natural gas. The model number is M1TW50S6FBN. That model looks to be discontinued and the replacement Model is Bradford White RG1P50S6N.

Thanks

Big Box stores should have plenty of selection. No need to buy that specific brand, just the same specs that you mentioned – IE power vent, nat gas, etc. If doing yourself, expect some basic plumbing work and PVC vent work as intakes and outputs won’t be in the exact same place. Im not a big DIY gas hook-up guy but I’ve been spoiled to have an old man who is a life-long pipefitter and was licensed for gas in the trades. Even in his mid 80s he’ll happily bring his tools over if I need gas work. Take special note in the instructions on the vent. The pipe can only have so many bends/turns, distance of run, etc. Take pics of current configuration and try to match it. But read the instructions, not a job you want to screw up, so if you have doubts, farm it out.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Big Box stores should have plenty of selection. No need to buy that specific brand, just the same specs that you mentioned – IE power vent, nat gas, etc. If doing yourself, expect some basic plumbing work and PVC vent work as intakes and outputs won’t be in the exact same place. Im not a big DIY gas hook-up guy but I’ve been spoiled to have an old man who is a life-long pipefitter and was licensed for gas in the trades. Even in his mid 80s he’ll happily bring his tools over if I need gas work. Take special note in the instructions on the vent. The pipe can only have so many bends/turns, distance of run, etc. Take pics of current configuration and try to match it. But read the instructions, not a job you want to screw up, so if you have doubts, farm it out.

Thanks ThunderLund,
    I think if I go with the Bradford White replacement model, I can minimize nearly all the plumbing and PVC work. Ferguson in Oakdale has them for about $1,750. I had no idea water heaters cost that much. Warner’s Stellian wanted $2,999 but their heater included an additional four-year warranty on the tank. Perhaps that included installation but the sales rep never said it did. That price might make more sense if it did.

My current water heater doesn’t have an expansion tank so I don’t know why I’d need one now.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

A buddy who has a few rental properties helped me replace it. Was pretty straight forward, and it even works. Our water heater was the original— 1989. Won’t make mistake again. The carpet was about a year old. ServPro did an amazing job drying it out. Yuck

Brittman

Interesting read. Statistical probability has to be very low … that said …

Can Your Water Heater Explode? Warning Signs & Prevention

Johnboy
    Illinois

You can an buy aluminum pan that has a connection on them for a PVC pipe and it would get any leakage or pressure relief valve blow-off to the drain.
    The pans have the pipe adapter included with them.
    The water heater could be elevated by putting bricks under it to get the need slope to the drain.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Thanks ThunderLund,
    I think if I go with the Bradford White replacement model, I can minimize nearly all the plumbing and PVC work. Ferguson in Oakdale has them for about $1,750. I had no idea water heaters cost that much. Warner’s Stellian wanted $2,999 but their heater included an additional four-year warranty on the tank. Perhaps that included installation but the sales rep never said it did. That price might make more sense if it did.

My current water heater doesn’t have an expansion tank so I don’t know why I’d need one now.

Wow. I replaced a 50 gallon cheapo from Menards at our previous house before flipping it as it started to leak, and I know I didn’t have $800 into the entire thing doing it myself. This would’ve been 2020. I think the 60 gallon one at the new place was around $1700 on the bid.

fishdale

Yikes I just noticed mine was leaking yesterday and see this post today it was a 2006. Will be getting a new one and installing this week. On a side note if you open the top presure release to winterize your cabin make sure to close it in the spring when you fill it up. I went from enjoying the first cabin cocktail to a 3 hour cleanup last spring.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.