Water Coming from Boat Removin from Lake?

• Robert Rains

I have a general question about how much water is draining out of my boat when I pull it out of the lake. I didn’t see a listing for a Stratos boat so I will ask my question here. I purchased a 1995 Stratos 201 pro used. It has 3 drain holes with one being able to insert a drain plug. When I pull it out of the lake there is a lot of water coming out of the two open-drain holes. Then when I remove the drain plug a lot of water is coming out of it. My question is, where is all this water coming from? I could see maybe the 2 open holes are from the live wells but I actually looked in one while on the lake and it was empty. If I put the drain plug in before going on the lake how is water getting in the hull?
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

Erik Swenson

Check your livewell lines for starters. There could be some cracking and leaking going on with crusty old plastic…

Certainly will fill the live wells and spill into the bilge.

Gitchi Gummi

When you open up that back compartment infront of the motor, can you see down to the bottom floor of the boat to inspect the plug from the inside? Can you visibly see any water coming in from around the plug when on the water?

Take a look at the holes drilled in the transom for the transducer(s) and make sure water isn’t coming in there.

Cracked livewell lines could likely be the culprit, especially on a boat of that vintage.

Erik Swenson

Yep. That old transom may have been peppered a few times over the last almost 30 years. Some new silicone around any fittings, bolts and transducer apparatus, etc wouldn’t hurt either. Finally, inspect the bottom of the boat good. That fiberglass can get brittle and banged up over time. Worst case may need some hull repair.

Robert Rains

ok thanks I never thought of all these things

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

In the other post he is not taking on water while fishing. If there were cracked lines or loose fittings he would be getting water all day.

I’m pretty sure I know what is going on. When you are loading up, water is coming in where your main motor controls go from your splash well into the cap. After you get the boat on the trailer, go back and look at that spot. A lot of water can pour in there pretty fast. Also at this time you are forcing back into the livewell/baitwell lines.

Typically when you load up a big glass boat, The transom area gets forced down. Especially power loading. The splash well fills up.fast. Some ramps better than others of course.

-J.

R Petersen

Robert

Ask around for which boat place is a decent place on quality work & price. Tell the Service Manager ONLY. You need your used new boat checked out. For things not working correctly. Like those bilge pumps. And anything else. Tell him just a quick list of things to be done & priority. Then you can decide which & when to do them. NOT to exceed 1 hour of billing.

stevenoak

If you’re not flooding it at the ramp. I would find plugs to fit the other 2 holes. Plug all 3 holes. When you pull it out, remove the drain plug first. This should help isolate if it’s a hull issue. If its dry, re install the drain plug and remove one of the others. Put it back in the water and check it again. So on with the 3rd plug till you find the source. Keep in mind in an old boat, could be more than one source. A reverse method is to fill the livewell systems in the driveway with the plug out of the boat. See if water runs out. Plug the livewells at the transom. That will check the fill lines as well. Good luck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.