wasn’t expecting to see this this morning

• Beast

I just about never fish any of the local lakes around here on the weekends, to many people, and way too many that shouldn’t be allowed out without a keeper of some sorts.But against my better judgement I went out this AM, around 10:30 am the lakes starts to come to life, wake boats , jet ski, pontoons are out in force.I figured time to get, about this time a fishing boat comes out of the landing at full throttle, 2 in the cockpit, one in the bow on a butt seat, they hit the rollers left from a wake boat that had just went by and the almost went vertical with the bow, the guy on the butt seat was thrown into the air, did wat looked like a 1/2 somersault and landed on the 2 guys in the cockpit, the boat almost came down on it’s side, by the time the guy driving was able to get control again the boat had already started the death spin. I fired up and ran over to see if they were ok. one was holding his side, (bow rider I think) one had a bloody nose, and one just shook up, windshield was sheared of along with the dash mounted depth finder that left a nice hole in the console where it had been mounted.”what did we hit?” “nothing, that was the wave from the wake boat” they were from Iowa and never encountered a wake boat wave before.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

The water is for everyone. Unfortunately hazards come with all the different kinds of water craft.

My personal feelings are I HATE jet ski’s and wake boats. However the owners do have the right to run them. It cost me a bunch to get away from them. Personaly I went to a national park where they are forbidden. I know the St. Croix above St. Croix Falls Wisconsin is protected and those aren’t allowed there either.

Hope the guys are OK. I’m sure if they go again they will all be seated in seats and watching out for those rogue waves.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The jet skis used to bother me. Not so much anymore.

Definitely the wake boats are more bothering and hazardous with the massive swells they create.

snelson223
    Austin MN

We had a wake boat last year that kept going by use while we were trolling. So annoying.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

F×&k wake boats and tuna boats. I hate them with a passion. I refuse to tangle with the weekend boat traffic. I took this Monday off to fish Pepin. 65 and cloudy and all the riffraff off the lake…..Can’t wait!
    Anyone launching out of parkside in Wabasha lately? I’m sure it’s fine but all the low water?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

People can afford boats, people are idiots, people suck. See 90 percent of other posts on ido.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I don’t generally have issues with anyone or any type of PWC in the water. The lake my folks are on has a ton of wake boats…..all are courteous and they usually stay in a specific section of the lake. Everyone usually gets along well.

The folks who are idiots would be one in a bass boat, jet ski, wakeboard, etc. The sense of entitlement, regardless of watercraft, grinds my gears. You don’t own the lake and it’s there for everyone’s enjoyment.

Hope those guys are ok….scary moment I’m sure.

Ripjiggen

How do you not see a wave that big coming?

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

These guys need to get their act together.
    (A) bow mounted butt seats are not suitable seating while on plane (full throttle as mentioned)
    (B) driver needs to be aware of the water conditions around him.
    (C) while on plane the safety cutoff lanyard needs to be worn. Which it would seem from the events described, the lanyard was not in use.

Yes it is fortunate not one was seriously injured.

about this time a fishing boat comes out of the landing at full throttle, 2 in the cockpit, one in the bow on a butt seat, they hit the rollers left from a wake boat that had just went by and the almost went vertical with the bow, the guy on the butt seat was thrown into the air, did wat looked like a 1/2 somersault and landed on the 2 guys in the cockpit, the boat almost came down on it’s side, by the time the guy driving was able to get control again the boat had already started the death spin.

B-man

Yes wake boats suck and they have no business on lakes smaller than 2,000 acres, but I’m in 100% agreement with Dave.

A floating log would have had a similar outcome, would that be the log’s fault?

What if it was a swimmer in the water instead of a wave?

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Those are just called morons. You see them out and about everywhere in all walks of life. The lake being busy with different types of boats didn’t create this problem those idiots did.

That would be like blaming rush house traffic for causing the motorcycle weaving in and out of cars to crash

AK Guy

(C) while on plane the safety cutoff lanyard needs to be worn. Which it would seem from the events described, the lanyard was not in use.

The driver did not fall out of the boat and appears to stay in his seat when the wave was hit (regained control of the death spiral). The lanyard being worn or not worn can not be determined based on the story.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I don’t generally have issues with anyone or any type of PWC in the water. The lake my folks are on has a ton of wake boats…..all are courteous and they usually stay in a specific section of the lake. Everyone usually gets along well.

The folks who are idiots would be one in a bass boat, jet ski, wakeboard, etc. The sense of entitlement, regardless of watercraft, grinds my gears. You don’t own the lake and it’s there for everyone’s enjoyment.

The only difference between bass boats and deep v’s are that bass boats go faster. Both contain entitled $&@holes. It’s the person not the boat or type of fishing they do.

ThunderLund78

I don’t mind Jet Skis as long as the individual operating it knows what they’re doing, safety, etiquette, etc. I take an occasional ride myself at the family cabin in-between fishing excursions.

The problem with wake boats is that even if you have the best and most courteous operator, you have to deal with the wake both on the water and on-shore. Their main purpose is to create a wave you can surf on over long distances. At best it’s an inconvenience to other boats (not just fisherman) and at worst it’s a safety hazard and major contributor to shoreline erosion.

But what are you gonna do. It’s the downside to being lucky enough to have public access to all of these awesome lakes. Part of the reason I got into kayak fishing is to explore some of the backwaters and smaller lakes that these guys can’t get to. Love it.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

appears to stay in his seat

the guy on the butt seat was thrown into the air, did wat looked like a 1/2 somersault and landed on the 2 guys in the cockpit, the boat almost came down on it’s side

You really think the driver (one of the two guys in the cockpit) stayed in his seat and that the safety lanyard would not have shut the motor down?
    If so, I got a bridge to sell.

tim hurley

I drive my boat like a grandpa even though I only have a 50. Slow excelleration while I watch for boats and waves. Waves from boats are more dangerous for most of us because they are irregular and its easy to hit them at a weird angle.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>

The only difference between <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass boats and deep v’s are that <em class=”ido-tag-em”>bass boats go faster. Both contain entitled $&@holes. It’s the person not the boat or type of fishing they do.

I was just making a broad generalization about boats. Wasn’t trying to call out bass guys.

Beast

I was just making a broad generalization about boats. Wasn’t trying to call out bass guys.
    [/quote]
    being a former bass boat guy since 1989, I have seen guys that I wouldn’t let row a boat let alone behind a wheel on a bass boat. theses guys normally get DQ-ed a couple of times before they grow brains. It’s not the boat, it’s the idiot that behind the wheel, I’ve almost been hit several times by pontoons while on the trolling motor because ” they didn’t see 20′ of floating glitter”

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

I was excited today. I fished in the rain 3 times. No other boats on the lake. Listened to the Twins and caught a 4-6 on a drop shot. I was cold, and my rain gear sucks, but it was great.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I was excited today. I fished in the rain 3 times. No other boats on the lake. Listened to the Twins and caught a 4-6 on a drop shot. I was cold, and my rain gear sucks, but it was great.

I often try to fish on these rainy summer days too but I didn’t make it out there today. It’s shocking to see the lack of boats out there on a rainy or even cloudy day.

Coletrain27

Was this on the mighty lake zumbro?

Charles

I fish whitefish chain, you just get use to tuna boats\off shore boats\wake boats. Not that big of deal, just need some common sense.

Now loaded wake boats with full ballast those suck in the low water channel Lol.

ThunderLund78

Coincidentally, I was looking out at the lake in the rain from the cabin window yesterday. The only boat out there was a wakeboat pulling screaming kids on a tube. GOOD ON THEM! No one else out there to complain. Kind of ruined the peaceful scene though.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

General pleasure boaters such as jet skis, ski boats, wake boats, etc are HIGHLY PREDICTABLE.

They are only on the water between the months of May and September.
    They are only on the water between the hours of 10am and dusk(but heavily favor 1pm to 6pm).
    Their days of operation are heavily weighted to weekends and holidays.
    Their days of operation are heavily weighted to nice weather days.

So…That gives the rest of you clowns about 85-90% of the available hours to go fishing without them.

Anyone griping about it fits into the pleasure boater category as outlined above because they haven’t the sense or intelligence to avoid their own griping by choosing to operate at the busiest times of the year. Thus, they are pleasure boaters too. Quit griping about yourself.

Pleasure craft does not bother me. They are welcome to the waters. If i want to avoid what they bring, it is easy to do. I welcome skiers and tubers right next to me while fishing. Nice to watch and they have every right to be there!

It is bright at 5am. That gives you 7 hours before the googans arrive…7 DAYS A WEEK.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

There is room for all boats, but some can’t figure out what it to close. Had a Douche in a ski nautique come between me and another boat pretty close, and we where fishing less than 100 yards ish away from shore on a shallow flat. I waited until he had his skier back safely in the boat and then as we where leaving I made sure to buzz his tower on the way off. He gives me the one are up like he had no clue what I might be upset about. flame

AnotherFisherman

As a younger guy, I have spent plenty of time on jet skis and wake boats. When I’m fishing those wake boats and waves can sure be annoying. But like others have said, the water is for everyone’s enjoyment and most of the time am happy to see people enjoying the outdoors.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.