Warrior Power Charge System ?????

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I am not a great electrical mind so I have a few questions with how the electrical system (and the Power Charge) works in my 1998 Warrior V177. Doing some reading so far (and will keep reading forums) and I have learned that this system was designed by Troy Latour at warrior and its pretty nifty.

Here are things I have learned that I never knew or have done in the 3 years of owning the boat.

1) You can charge all your batteries (two trolling motor and one starting) at once like a on board charger by hooking the jumper cable up to the back two plug ins (the start plug in and the trolling motor plug in) and then charging through your front trolling motor connection with the pig tail plug connected to a 12V charger.

2) You can jump your main battery off your trolling motor batteries with the jumper plug if your main battery goes dead

3) You can charge your trolling motor battery’s with your jumper using the extra amps from running your big motor across that lake at higher rpms.

These are cool features and I will have to try them. However I am trying to trouble shoot an issue I have had since I got the boat.

When ever I run either my bow mount (24V) or my transom mount (24V) they will cut in and out whenever using them over 50% power. This only happens if the one I am using is plugged in and the other trolling motor is not. In the past I avoid this by just plugging both motors in no matter what and the system works good but still after long usages at full power will get hot and cut in and out.

I figured it may be the older trolling motors or just something getting hot and never bothered to figure it out as it would not happen often. So fast forward to now and I have taken all old trolling motors off my boat and have a new xi5 (24V) on it. Last night I took it out for the first time with fully charged batteries (yes they are good and batteries aren’t my issue here), the motor would cut in and out at low power until it just stopped getting power after about 1 hour. I then plugged just my normal pig tail plug into the back trolling motor slot and the trolling motor would get power but it was low power.

Any idea what is going on or what I need to do to get full power on my trolling motor? I would like to have a little more knowledge before I trouble shoot this with an Ampmeter tonight.
    Thanks

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What size wire from battery to trolling motor?

Are you positive your running it in 24v and not 12v (dumb question but I have to ask)

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What size wire from battery to trolling motor?

Are you positive your running it in 24v and not 12v (dumb question but I have to ask)

What length wire from batts to TM?

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

6ga wire so plenty fine. Good q, I am not positive what voltage I am getting at my plug connection as far as 12V/24V and also the reason why I am taking a multimeter to it tonight. With this Warrior system the batteries are just wired in to the connection points (where the plug plug in) and not in parallel or series and the series connection (for 24V) is made with in the plug.

I have the trolling motor connected into where the plug calls for a hot wire to receive 24V so I assumed it was correct. I will just have to check tonight and if nothing else just hard wire the batteries into series and run those wires to plug so trolling motor is for sure getting 24V.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Yeah plenty of gage for sure.
    Check that plug and if you’ve got ~24V then…? I dunno man.

Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Battery terminals and connections are super clean too?

Almost seems like it’s a 24v TM running on 12v but you’ll confirm that.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Could it be the plug cannot handle the load above 50% power (which is quite a few amps!!)

Can you look up the plug number and find specs for load rating?

CaptainMusky

Since the 24 volt is created inside the plug, perhaps you attached the red and black wires to the wrong terminals inside the plug. I had the similar probably before and found the error in my ways. Also be sure to tighten the connections, even the ones NOT being used all the way down or you will short out the plug. I speak from experience. -)

Did you ever figure out this issue? I just purchased a used warrior with the same wiring system and will be installing a 24V trolling motor. Curious which wire input to use on the trolling motor plug (the 12V that appears to have a jumper, or the 24V input)

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you are still having trouble call the Warrior factory in Melrose Minnesota. Even though they didn’t build your boat they bought all the technology when the previous company bellied up. I’m sure they are still doing the same things as when your boat was new. Good guys up there, I’m sure they will help if they can.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

I ended up disconnecting all the wires at the battery connections, capping them then just winding them up a little and leaving them all where they were.

I then connected my 2 – 12V together for a 24V connection and ran that directly to the front plug outlet. I figured I will never have anything but a 24V motor on the front and with the xi5 I no longer need a transom trolling motor.

The old built in system to charge both batteries and jump/charge off big motor is great but not needed. I figured I will just install an on board charge and then leave jumper cables in my boat if I have to make the jump ever in a emergency.

In the few times I have been out since the tolling motor and batteries have worked perfect.

Jim brockman

I picked up a 99′ 1891 and i plugged in the jumper plug to the two ports and as soon as I plug in at the bow to charge the system a breaker clicks. Anybody know why this is.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.