Warning,,,,,,,,,,, this is a non-political post :>)

• Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Just finished up a nice midsized bowl. I’m very pleased at how it turned out.

I lost track of the wood type, but I believe it is a chunk of Elm. The bowl is 6 7/8 inch in diameter and about 2 1/4 deep. Shellac finish overcoated with an application of paste wax.

Hope everyone is having a good day.

Attachments:
    1. 20200815_133640.jpg

2. 20200815_133723.jpg

3. 20200815_133754.jpg

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

That must have been a nice near-burl chunk of wood in the beginning. Sweet looking bowl in the end. Very nice work.

buschman
    Pool 2

You did a great job. No checking at all. Have you done a few of these ?? Looks like it. That is elm. I am assuming there was a limb section in there. I have no experience turning but do like the contrast good elm gives when you have a mix of sap and heart wood. A lot like walnut. Just not as dark and smells like elm when you work with it “not a big fan of the smell” I usually get checking/cracks whenever I leave the center ring/pith in the wood but limb shots seem to control that from happening at times.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

This makes me miss my grand father. We used to do this in his shop before he passed away. I have a large collection of cars, ships, guns, plates, bowls, and all sorts of stuff he made before he had passed. I was in the process of working and learning his skills when he was taken away.
    This is really nice to see and brought back some awesome memories. I can smell the wood from here and his cigar smoke.
    Very nice work that would look great on a coffee table.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Thanks guys, for the accolades. Thanks also for confirming that it is Elm.

You did a great job. No checking at all. Have you done a few of these ?? Looks like it. That is elm. I am assuming there was a limb section in there. I have no experience turning but do like the contrast good elm gives when you have a mix of sap and heart wood. A lot like walnut. Just not as dark and smells like elm when you work with it “not a big fan of the smell” I usually get checking/cracks whenever I leave the center ring/pith in the wood but limb shots seem to control that from happening at times.

Yes, as you can maybe see, the heartwood is right at the rim of the bowl. I’ll try to incorporate a limb or a crotch into the blank whenever possible.

I rough turned this blank “green” a couple months ago. It has been drying in a paper sack, stuffed with the blank and the wet shavings from the rough turn.
    I’ve been weighing it periodically to track the moisture level. Holy buckets did that thing warp when drying. No checking at all, so I was extremely happy that I did not lose such a pretty blank.

Again, Thanks guys for all the kind comments.

mojogunter

A friend of mine’s dad turns bowls and has been doing it for about 10 years at the most. He is incredibly talented. I would have no where near the patience to do that kind of work. Here are a few of his. Dave you do nice work.

Attachments:
    1. Resized_Resized_20151223_210859.jpeg

2. Resized_Resized_20140626_164422.jpeg

3. Resized_Resized_20180127_132735.jpeg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Sweet. I have always thought about buying a lathe. I’ve always enjoyed turning things on a lathe. That’s beautiful.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Sweet. I have always thought about buying a lathe. I’ve always enjoyed turning things on a lathe. That’s beautiful.

I agree. I could just make piles of shavings and have fun.

It’s just a matter of time… devil

Deuces

do like the contrast good elm gives when you have a mix of sap and heart wood. A lot like walnut

Same thoughts. Kick a$$ hunk of wood there. Beautiful work.

Who doesn’t like a lil wood honestly? Was in the salvage yard earlier this week and bought a board of flooring that had the most birds eye I’ve ever seen in a maple, was southern too so the eyes are huge! Not sure what I’m doing with it yet.

shady5

Very nice. Sounds like there’s much more to it than a layman would anticipate.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

They all are SUPER COOL.! They are each there own one of a kind. . rrr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.