Where to start?

• walleye_wisdom
    Big Sky Country Helena, MT (Adel, IA home)

Thinking about hitting the wapsi this weekend, but i have no idea where to load my boat in. I can run the West Fork of the Cedar pretty well, so i don’t know how far south i have to go on the Wapsi to be able to run my boat. I’m leaving from Cedar Falls. Looking for some pike and walleye action. Thanks!

maurice

dont know what kind of boat or motor but most places take a flat bottom—they have been catching some good eyes around the IC railroad bridge in Independence and you can use most any boat there.

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

I don’t know how far you live from Anamosa but theres a nice boatramp below the dam there and its right in town. This is a nice stretch of river and picturesque. The ramps on the west side of the river and I fish the same side from the dam about halfway down to the ramp. Theres a nice cut there and also some good walleye. If you go you’ll see the discharge from the powerhouse that comes in to main channel, fish from the end of the wall down, both are good spots, quite a few 4 and 5 pounders. It might be worth the drive.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Does anyone know if you can run a 16′ V bottom boat downstream of Central City? Thinking about trying old stomping grounds and didn’t know if you can run much of a boat in that area.

Knutty

mossydan
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Hey knutty, from the dam down to the railroad bridge theres around 2′ too 4′ of water, not much at all. Right above the railroad bridge you’d probably scrape bottom in a canoe. I know that stretch of river pretty well and theres not much water below the dam in central city anywhere. An ideal boat would be a canoe or a 10′ to 12′ jon with a small tiller not more than 10 horse and you’d have the propwash out of the water most of the time as not to suck in sand or hit bottom. Its pretty shallow and Id hate to see you bring your boat and not be able to put it in. Theres a makeshift boat ramp right above the railroad bridge, not concrete where you can slide a lighter boat in the water but theres alot of rocks right there too that go out about 20 yrds into the river that you’d have to move your boat over and around. Its mostly a wade and fish part of the river right there. You can get a boat in the water above the dam but I never hear of anything being caught besides catfish. If you put in above and go up river until it gets shallower you might do ok on walleyes or smallies etc. If you have a deeper draft V-hull be very careful above the dam too. If you have a 10′ to 14′ shallower draft hull with a smaller motor you’d be ok above the dam for aways but not below. Welcome to the site too.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

Mossy,

Thanks for the info…We might take the boat and the waders along for the day. It will be nice just to be on the water for a while.

Knutty

adamgdunn
    Iowa

The Report…

Fished for about 5 hours on Saturday morning around Stone City. Caught 4 14-17 inch Walleyes, lost a few others and caught a couple of cigars. Caught numerous-30-40 smallies with the biggest about 14 inches. Caught one northern and had 3 or 4 others cut us off. The river is in nice shape with clarity of about 1.5 feet. Most fish came on gulp minnows and twister tails.

Knutty

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.