Walleyes Thru The Ice On The River?

• BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

It took a few years but this site finally gave me walleye fever. I want to catch some walleyes thru the ice and was wondering if there are any spots to get out around La Crosse? I see some guys up by the dams in years past but I don’t see that happening for quite awhile this year. Just looking for any tips.

Sincerely,
    A converted bass fisherman

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

USE EXTREME CAUTION
    sandy dunes with / or pea gravel in very light current. Do a search for a video I posted on here reviewing the LX9 when it first came out. Pay close attention to the bottom structure

bbuchho90

2nd what Randy said. Sand flats off the current can produce. Slackwater cuts, and below wing dams. Find almost still water. In my opinion it’s a first and last light bite. Dead, turns on for 45 minutes as they come up shallow, and dies again. Be very careful near current and always spud, even if you’ve walked there days before. I’ve seen ice thickness go from 15 inches to 2 inches in 20 ft. Water hits the front of wing dams and keeps good ice from forming so stay away from the fronts of them. This fish came off a Sippi River sand flat last year, north of lacrosse a few miles. They tend to like Jiggin Raps.

Attachments:
    1. Snapchat-1295910592.jpg

BassinBill
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks guys. I think I have a spot on pool 7 I might try. Worst part seems to be finding a way to get to it.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Thanks guys. I think I have a spot on pool 7 I might try. Worst part seems to be finding a way to get to it.

P7??? “Don t crowd my hole” jester

jld
    Holmen

La Crosse area(pool8)is tough for a walleye bite. I have caught a few by accident fishing the Black River north of the I 90 bridge. Most areas that I would consider walleye possible I would not try yet because of poor ice.

bbuchho90

Anywhere on the river this time of year tends to be a tough walleye bite. like i mentioned, first and last light bite is pretty much all i fish walleye for. setup at 3:30, catch them from 4 to 5ish, pack up and leave. IMO i’d rather head to Mille Lacs or Red to get my winter walleye fix.

Like you mentioned Bill, I can probably boat fish most of my pool 7 walleye spots still. haven’t been down there in a few weeks.

milemark_714

One tip;trade the bass boat for an airboat.Every year is hit or miss,and this year is a miss so far.When it does freeze,it is that jagged ice that sucks for walking on.Jigging/rippin raps seem to be the most consistent baits through the ice.

As far as consistent spots,is there such thing?Lot of yesterdays spots are today’s has-beens.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.