Walleye Tourney ever won with Downriggers?

• Todd_NE

I was having a conversation with a couple of PWT guys awhile back and the topic of downriggers came up, I’ve considered putting them on my boat at times.

I don’t use them often but have occasionally on Lake McConaughy in Nebraska and walleye or trout fishing on LOTW. In fact I’ve caught some 10-11# eyes on downriggers so I can’t believe they spook fish that bad they couldn’t be used.

A comment was made however, that there hasn’t been a “big” walleye won using downriggers say since 1990 or so. I guess I’d never even thought of it but I can’t name a tourney that was won with them myself.

I’m just curious, can anyone think of one or more?

If not, I wonder what your thoughts are about them not being more successful?

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I can’t say I’ve heard of any events where they were used. I think if they ever had a mid summer event on LOW they may come into play. I just don’t think they are necessary for walleye fishing. That being said I have mounted some on my boat, but I plan to use them quite often on Lake Michigan. I did use them this past weekend on Mille Lacs and caught fish!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I can’t either. Not in this area anyway.
    Thanks, Bill

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

I believe Todd Frank was using downriggers at Bull Shoals during the Pwt event. He had a large lead the first 2 days, but he had to settle for 2nd when his fish ran out.

After I think about it, he might have been using dipsys not downriggers.

Todd_NE

That’s kinda interesting. I’ve heard those are the spookiest of fish. I could see the sideplaner being an advantage possibly.

Just seems odd no one’s ever won a tourney. I guess I attribute it to guys ability to run lead, snap weights, etc. Just not worth the hassle ??

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I see them on a few boats that fish a Nebraska circuit but can’t say that they have ever prevailed for them. I may see a couple of the guys this weekend and I’ll ask them.

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

Quote:

That’s kinda interesting. I’ve heard those are the spookiest of fish. I could see the sideplaner being an advantage possibly.

Surprisingly enough, that is not the case down there. That tournament was won by Bill Ortiz, trolling 10fow or less, with his baits behind the boat, no boards, and yes even using his kicker.

Todd_NE

Surprisingly enough, that is not the case down there. That tournament was won by Bill Ortiz, trolling 10fow or less, with his baits behind the boat, no boards, and yes even using his kicker.

That’s wild, I’d forgot that. I remember Parson and KK talking about how it was impossible to even use electronics, if you went over them once with with sonar and turned around to fish they were gone.

tomich
    Omaha, Ne

P & K had a decent finish using the same tactics as Ortiz.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.