Alma tips and secrets

• wmahnke
    Eau Claire, WI

These pics and the tourney results from sunday in Alma prove high water fishing is very productive. My buddy Jeremy Schreiner from Schreiners sprt shop in Alma pool 5 asked me to do a post for him. The ratio of big fish to fisherman is very very good right now their are very few fisherman nad lots of big fish right now. Schreiner says he caught (1) 27.5″ pitching ringyswith a 1/8oz jig in slack water. (2) over 10lbs on stick baits 3waying.one was along the current seam right below the dam and one was along the rock sand transition above the rock pile. (1) on a lindy rig just down from the Alma boat landinghis dads pb 11lbs2oz old school lindy but trusty. In the past we all would simply reply to otheirs with “yeah the waters high” and keep our mouths zipped. Here are some tips we decided to share with everyone from the guys in the baits shop. For lindy rigs its pretty simple work structure,slack water,eddys,etc. and give them a little time to eat that puppy. For cranks we use a simple 3 way rig with 14lb braid to swivel same braid to crank and a 10lb mono to the drop weight using mono to break off with eas so you get your crank back (most of the time)12″ to 18″ lead on mono with 4 to 8oz weight and 3′ TO 4’lead of braid to the crank also things to think about when 3waying is size color actiondepth and most importanly speed we like sizes from 5-11in jointed and original. colors we frequent in cranks firetiger,chartrusse,orange etc. BRIGHT pool 5 water clearity on sunday was about 12 inches biggest tip on 3ways is speed do not go over 1 mph and ist better the slower you go let the current do the work and set it right in front of their face. Its like eating a big meal being sluggish and having a nice peace of apple pie youjust cant resist……
    The same goes for pitching plastics winter water temps fish them slow only use a heavy enough jig to get the bait in the strike zone. Switch threw bight colors and some naturals to. draggin is great but sometimes thats even to fast fish will hit plastics holding steady in front of their nose.

As we said before in years past we would have said “yep waters up” and kept our mouths zipped about big fish its time, time to le people in on the secrets of Alma and pool 5 it sure is rewarding when people come in with pics, stories, and maybe even their PB in the live well. Feel free to swing in to the shop to talk or simply ask some how toes. we will be honest and help get you on fish if at all possable. Jeremy is in the shop on weekends. he consitantly shares info with most people including my self and vise versa…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice fish. Your statement about pitching 1/8 ounce jigs in this high water says a lot. I would guess your not pitching them in the main channel.

wmahnke
    Eau Claire, WI

yeah you are right

love2fish
    Shoreview, Grand Rapids, MN

Are you kidding me? Those fish are huge!!!!! That perch looks like my mother in law after Christmas dinner Nice fish.

John

john_steinhauer
    p4

Quote:

That perch looks like my mother in law after Christmas dinner Nice fish.

John

gonecribbin
    reads landing MN

Thanks for the report!!! That 11 lber is a tank!!!
    The shop is looking great, I stopped in a couple weeks ago to load up on some crawlers for a trip. I ended up leaving with 10 dozen crawlers and 3 different kinds of minnows (I’ll bring your bucket back this week).. Great selection of minnows and the crawlers looked like they were on steriods!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.